Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted about my exhaust before and it’s doing it less at idle but when I take for a “ride” about 1000ft at most, it starts to smoke and I’m having a hard time telling but I believe it’s blue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
So I posted about my exhaust before and it’s doing it less at idle but when I take for a “ride” about 1000ft at most, it starts to smoke and I’m having a hard time telling but I believe it’s blue. Any ideas?
Ok I have not seen your previous post. Are you on about a 2 stroke motor ?
Then its a case of adjusting the richness of fuel, wet spark plugs vs dry.
If its a 4 stroke, then you need your carbs or injectors adjusted accordingly.

With the scant info, that you give, its hard to visualize.

When you say 1000 ft, are you talking about how far along the road, you travel, or are you talking about elevation ?

Any elevation gives you thinner air, thus a much more lean fuel mix.

Hope this helps, if not, give us a more detailed explanation.

Good Luck

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Milo is riding a vintage 1982 KZ1100. Air-cooled so the smoke can only either be condensation, poorly tuned carbs, or oil. :)

The wildcard for me is how long has the bike been running during these tests. Just a few minutes at a time? These big old bikes hate only running for a few minutes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
All of the vintage Japanese bikes have a problem with valve seals. I have to avoid any downshifting because that makes it a lot worse and can cause oil consumption. That is usually white smoke. Blue smoke and smoking constantly is probably rings. If the bike has been sitting a lot rings can get stuck. Personally, I would fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil, let it sit for a good while in each cylinder and then go out and run the hell out of it, just hoping the rings were stuck and this would free them up. Compression tests before and after might also shed light on it. I need to replace my valve seals but I'll wait until later until I have time to do the job avoiding situations that force oil past the valve stems and bad seals.

·
Premium Member
9,825 Posts
OV clickety click is up to speed with this.
Tired rings or valve seals is the most common. But, as I mentioned earlier, if the bike has been sitting a while, and recently fired, the compression and rings may be off a bit. Ignore it and ride it. Check the compression in three months. Too, what is the current compression? I also said I checked the compression on one of my XS1100s, that has been sitting a while. It is down about 20 psi. I intend to run it for three months and check again.

UK

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think that is what I am using in my older bikes. I put some synthetic Rotella in the 83 XS400, but did not notice any difference.

UK
You won't until the smaller molecules find a path past the head gasket. I used it in my bike for a long time, and prefer it, but I am not ready to tear the motor down just to keep the head gasket from leaking. It does not leak with the T4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts