Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
So I have a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250.

I bought it from some guy who basically had the bike sitting for several years. After a little fixing up the bike was running well. Until I went for a ride and it kept dying every time I was at a stop light. Basically "starving for gas" was how my dad put it.

My dad and I took the bike apart and cleaned out the carbs, dumped the gas, cleaned the tank. Everything was good for a few weeks until the same problem happened. Cleaned it again, was fine for like 2 months, until yet again the same problem. It's getting really frustrating because my bike is not reliable at all.

I'm sure there is something else at play here that is causing this trouble. But I really don't want to take it to a shop so they can charge me ridiculous amounts for something I might be able to fix myself.

Any theories or advice would be very much appreciated. I'd like to ride through the rest of the season!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The carb sounds like it may need an overnight dip to clean her out good. I brought mine to a carb shop, it came back looking like a new carb. I don't know what you are doing to clean her out, but try giving her a long bath. When bikes sit for long periods of time, the jets and needles can get all gummed up and cause problems like you are seeing now.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
A $10 inline fuel filter should prevent any crud from the gas tank from reaching (and clogging) the carbs. I ALWAYS put a fresh one in after rebuilding/cleaning carbs.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
A $10 inline fuel filter should prevent any crud from the gas tank from reaching (and clogging) the carbs. I ALWAYS put a fresh one in after rebuilding/cleaning carbs.
This^^^^^^

I put them in even if there is already another filter in the petcock.

There is even an outside chance that the fuel line after the filter is gummed up. If this is so,a new fuel line does not cost much.

Also check On the starving for gas thing--- If the bike again runs when you open the gas tank or the gas tank sucks air in when opened,perhaps you need to make sure that the tank vent in the gas cap is not plugged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts