Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I bought a Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1997 in July and I decided to get my hands dirty and learn valuable skills by taking care of its maintenance myself.
One problem about that is that the oil level sight glass gauge is completely unreadable, there is some opaque thing on the inner side that prevents me from seeing the actual oil level.
Here is a photo of it, so you can see by yourself:

Do not get fooled by the black thing at the bottom that seems like it's the oil level, it is part of the rubbish blocking the view on the inner side stuck to the glass.
When I tilt the bike nothing moves and it is impossible to read any oil level.
I was afraid that it might actually have no oil at all, so with 2 friends I observed the oil level glass sight while they both tilted the bike to the maximum to try to read anything but really nothing can be seen.
Therefore, I have no way to be sure that the oil level is correct or not.

Okay first question:
Does anyone know what usually cause or may cause the oil level sight glass gauge to be obstructed/dirtied with this thing in the inner side?

I have ridden 2000 miles and it is now time for an oil and oil filter change.
Changing the oil will make me feel better because I will follow my bike's user manual to the letter.
However, I would like to solve the problem and be able to read my oil level normally.
Therefore, I have done some research and found that I could remove the side of the engine where the oil level sight glass is, clean it or replace it, then place back the side of the engine with the oil level sight glass cleaned/replaced (changing the gasket as well, and rescrewing carefully with a torque crank following the manufacturer's recommendation).
I am not really enthusiastic about this idea, because it seems complex and risky (I am a very beginner in mechanics, with very little - if any - experience).
What I can do however, considering how the side of the engine is made, where the oil level sight glass is, and where the oil refill hole is, is:
Before draining the oil for the oil change insert a tool (ideally in plastic, not in metal to avoid damaging anything, even if I'd be ultra careful) in the oil refill hole on top of the engine and try to clean the glass like that.
I could use the cleaned plastic tube of soap dispenser that some people use to remove excess oil when they overfilled.
I'm talking about that thing in picture:

And the plan is to rub the end of the tube on the glass to get rid of the stuff stuck on the inner side a bit like that:

I might have to use another tool that is bent at its end to be able to rub and clean the glass, but you get the spirit of what I'm thinking about doing.
This will probably leave particles of that thing in the oil, which is why directly after I intent to proceed to a full oil and oil filter change.

What do you think about this idea?
Does anyone know how else I could fix this issue?

Thank you very much for your help. :)
I look forward to read your precious advice.

·
Ace Tuner
3,549 Posts
I believe the clutch will be in the way when you try to work anything down to the sight glass.

Condensation thru the years is probably what caused the sight glass to fog up like that.

Unfortunately the clutch actuating mechanism/lever is located in that engine cover and that could give a new guy problems when working to remove and install the cover.
It's a simple design, just a lever and push rod. If you decide to do the job yourself just study the parts closely on disassembly. After you understand how they work... It'll be a snap.

Fortunately it's not a big job to replace the sight glass. It should't cost a lot to have a professional do the job if you don't want to try it yourself.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Wot the guys above said.
For poking around tho, and using for a dip stick, and other cool things. I suggest wood chop sticks.
The original tool kit for my XS11 Yamaha had a dip stick for the middle gear case and rear end. Long since gone. I made a dip stick from chop sticks. Looks like a cross.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,549 Posts
Wot the guys above said.
For poking around tho, and using for a dip stick, and other cool things. I suggest wood chop sticks.
The original tool kit for my XS11 Yamaha had a dip stick for the middle gear case and rear end. Long since gone. I made a dip stick from chop sticks. Looks like a cross.

UK
Yep, special tools made from things like chop sticks.
I have some small brass drifts that I believe started out as old TV tuner parts. You know, the old kind where you had to turn a knob to change channels... :surprise: Lol

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Ahhh the EX500r on this side of the pond. Remove clean and replace it at an oil service. Black RTV works well for the gasket as long as you clean both surfaces well or you can buy them for cheap at a number of suppliers for just the gasket. It is a hard part and easily removed and cleaned with little to no trouble. I took mine off and polished them all shiney on two bikes.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I have a soft spot for the ex500. I saw one for sale when I was looking for my first bike - didn't end up buying it but I've always wanted one since then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all, I'll give a shy try at cleaning the window myself during the oil change and if I see that I can't reach it because of anything obstructing the path, I'll just give it to a professional next time I want to change the oil.
Have a safe ride guys. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts