Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea of converting my left side hand grip to another throttle. It seems doable.
My idea of a sort of cruise control as far as the right hand is concerned.
More like a compromise.

It would give me some time to stretch the hand or lift the shield and scratch an itching eye.
Or re attach a flapping bit that I can't get to with my left hand.

Thoughts?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It may be quite a trick to avoid advancing the throttle while trying to clutch!!

Let's see............where could we relocate the clutch, under your butt?

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Instead of a whole added throttle sleeve and hand grip, how about a smaller separate lever with just one cable mounted on the left handlebar? Something like what you would see used to change gears on a ten-speed bike?

Normally it would be in a "neutral" position, but when needed you could advance it and the friction fit would hold the throttle open against the pull of the idle return cable. When you're done fixing your flapping parts or stretching you just move it back to neutral, or in an emergency roll back your right hand throttle hard enough to overcome the friction of the new lever.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Shouldn't be any harder then learning to use the front brake without advancing the throttle, no?
Great minds think alike.

The thing I have against the throttle lock is the amount of time needed to disengage the thing in an emergency situation.
Rolling back the throttle with the left hand would be immediate.

I'm not quite ready to do anything and whatever I do will be easily reversible.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A proper throttle lock will disengage instantly when the throttle is moved. Taking a hand off either control will reduce reaction time to some extent, so it should be done with care.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If a throttle lock is adjusted properly there is no problem rolling the throttle back. It only hold the throttle in position, it doesn't actually lock it. I used one for years until I got cruise control and never once had a problem shutting the bike down quickly.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Going with the left hand theme, how about a throttle like they use for some off road vehicles where it is a lever you just push with your thumb?

·
American Legion Rider
20,037 Posts
I hate that thing on my ATV but that's cause you have to use it all the time. Temporary would be fine.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
I find I universal VistaCruiz to be a pretty good deal. It does the job nicely, is inexpensive, and was pretty easy to install. 10/10 would recommend it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts