Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another insurance question:

How much uninsured motorist coverage bodily injury are people carrying? That's supposed to cover my medical bills if I get clobbered by an uninsured driver.

Has anyone used and/or exceeded the policy amount? If so, at what point did your health insurance kick in? Was it when the full amount of the motorcycle insurance was used or before?

I'm trying to figure out what limits are reasonable.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I carry $25,000/$50,000 on uninsured and the same on underinsured.

I feel that if I'm in a bike accident that means I am probably not going to live through it, I don't care if they are uninsured, or underinsured. They should have taken responsibility instead of relying on me. If I'm dead, I don't give a crap that they may not get more free money from my corpse.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I carry $100,000/$300,000.
This is probably the best idea^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a friend who was struck on his Bike by an Uninsured, UNLICENSED Driver,
He suffered Serious Life Threatening Injuries...spent almost 3 weeks in Intensive care then 2 more weeks in hospital ,then a MONTH in Rehab Center.
He didnt have uninsured Motorists!!
Needless to say....he will probably NEVER be able to cover all that!
Ed

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
That's ridiculous, if you work and have health insurance, you will be covered by that. Why pay extra for the same insurance?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
That's ridiculous, if you work and have health insurance, you will be covered by that. Why pay extra for the same insurance?
NOT RIDICULOUS!!:mad:
He was between jobs and did not have Health Insurance at the time of the accident!!
I should have included that fact I guess.
Ed

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
If he was between jobs, how could he afford the high insurance rates? Lucky for him he had it, but I would never be without some kind of health insurance, would go without a bike before I would allow the hospital to own me.

At any rate, I think that in a bad accident, even 300,000 would probably not be enough to cover medical expenses when a single night in a hospital with an appendix operation is $28,000 and rabies vaccine is $12,000.

Raising my uninsured/underinsured to $100,000/300,000 would raise my rate by $485 a year, not going to happen, It is now $347 a year with three bikes, FC on two with a $100 deductible. I'm good with letting my health insurance cover me if I live through it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If he was between jobs, how could he afford the high insurance rates? Lucky for him he had it, but I would never be without some kind of health insurance, would go without a bike before I would allow the hospital to own me.

At any rate, I think that in a bad accident, even 300,000 would probably not be enough to cover medical expenses when a single night in a hospital with an appendix operation is $28,000 and rabies vaccine is $12,000.

Raising my uninsured/underinsured to $100,000/300,000 would raise my rate by $485 a year, not going to happen, It is now $347 a year with three bikes, FC on two with a $100 deductible. I'm good with letting my health insurance cover me if I live through it.
OK, Not going to get into some kind of ongoing argument with you.
I am not sure what you mean by How could he afford the high insurance rates?? He was not working,He did NOT have Health Insurance, I thought I was clear about that?Or did you mean for Motorcycle Insurance?? Anyway, it is what it is, I DO agree with you that normally a lower coverage of uninsured motorist is adequate IF a person has Health Insurance, ( I am lucky enough to have it) Unfortunately, the Job situation being what it is today with many employers figuring out ways to not cover employees for Health Insurance i.e. cutting hours to less than 30 etc.there are many people who ride and have Motorcycle insurance but no Health Insurance..I happen to know a LOT of people in that situation...it happens. TRUCE!! Enough! OK?
ED

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
If Luvs2Play was talking about motorcycle insurance being expensive, I pay $450/year for two bikes with $100,000/$300,000 uninsured/underinsured coverage. I don't have comprehensive or collision on either bike because, honestly, they aren't new enough or nice enough to be concerned with it. So it doesn't have to be THAT expensive.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
as far as uninsured motorist vs. my own health insurance...let's just say the car that wipes me out puts me out of work for a year, and l can't work, and l run out of short term disability benefits and have no income? Health insurance does nothing to insure your lifestyle.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
That's what attorneys are for. Although, a friend of mine got hit on his bike and it is going on two years waiting for the settlement.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Health insurance isn't always the answer either. the "affordable" insurance I'm forced to buy from my employer does not cover me in an auto accident. "It is your responsibility to purchase proper insurance coverage from your auto ins carrier for you and your passengers in the event of an accident"

Thanks again Obama (*$#@%&$#)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
That's what attorneys are for. Although, a friend of mine got hit on his bike and it is going on two years waiting for the settlement.
Yeah, but if a guy doesn't have insurance, then he probably doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Uninsured motorist makes sure that you don't end up in his shoes.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Its usually the people that have no one or nothing to lose that have little or no insurance. My wife and I are heavily insured. You can burn up the bare minimum coverage payout within a few months in a hospital.
I'll bet my last thought right before an old Suburban cuts me off on my bike won't be, "Hmm, I wish I could have saved that $44 per year it cost me for my under insured motorist coverage".

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Getting hit by an uninsured motorist is a nightmare and a nightmare my wife and I went through about 10 years ago. It cost us $1,000's.

An attorney can't help you if the person doesn't have any money and you will find out how good your good insurance is.

My wife was hit by an uninsured motorist while walking in a crosswalk. She was in the hospital a month and a rehab facility for two months. Your uninsured motorist insurance covers you even if you are walking.

One insurance loophole was my insurance didn't cover non- emergency ambulance rides. Why would you need to be in ambulance if it wasn't an emergency? My wife needed to transported from rehab to the hospital sometimes twice a week and she couldn't sit up so she had to be transported in an ambulance, and it's not an emergency! The ambulance was over $400 if she could have gone in "the van" it would have been $40, and that was 10 years a go. There were other loopholes.

We did use all of the uninsured motorist insurance and the rest was paid by health insurance. And there is no final settlement because there is no money.

It's a nightmare!!

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
True, ambulance insurance is not that much here. It is run by the city. I don't have it, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

When my health insurance does kick in, I will have to meet that deductible before it will pay, but the motorcycle insurance is $0 deductible on the uninsured side, that is probably because they will get something for the junk they hit me with.

Also, a judgement against them will be forever, not that it means I will ever get anything, but it is there.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rollin', thanks for sharing that story. Hopefully, you guys are completely through that mess.

I appreciate everyone jumping into this topic. With nearly 14% of the drivers in my state uninsured, this is all helpful in setting what I think is an appropriate amount.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
After seeing a close family member's hospital bills after a recent car accident, (bills are still trickling in) my wife and I raised our coverage up to 250,000/500,000. :eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts