Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week it was 74 degrees and I was out riding with my wife. Two days ago it was 56, and while my hands got cold, we had a great ride of about 50 miles. Today there is already 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground, it is coming down heavy, and the thermometer reads 29 degrees. Global warming my axx. I am so sick of this winter, and of living in the Midwest. And to top it off, my almost new water heater turned itself off this morning so I can't even take a hot shower. What a screwed up day.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
We got the same thing going on here (minus the snow and water heater :) ) Couple weeks ago it was 51, then it was mid-40s and now were back into 20s. Whatever. As long as its above 15F with no snow or ice on the road, I'm riding.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I am not going to go on a big rant.

My suggestion ... listen carefully. America is filled full of BS, and it is all driven by greed. YES, the climate is changing. The changes are real, and they will have a big effect. BUT look carefully at what the scientists said. The scientists NEVER said the Earth will simply get hotter. What they actually said was this - as the Earth warms, the cycle of water (storms and rains) will change. Bringing new patterns. The storms will get stronger and the rainfall will happen in places that are very different from what we have seen before. The same goes for snow. Therefore, all the changes that you are seeing are real.

How do you know this is correct? Very simple.
When I was a boy - there was a place called the North Pole. It was a place where there were great adventure stories. Men went there to explore, and some died. The North Pole was a great frozen wasteland of snow and ice. Very fierce!

If someone has told me ... "In your lifetime the North Pole will not exist" ... I would have called them an idiot. But that is the future. Now, in the middle of summer all the ice is broken up, and you cannot even walk to the North Pole. It is a lake. Scientists tell us that in another 20 years, the Pole (in summer)will be a giant slushy, like the kids buy at convenience stores. aND IN ANOTHER 40 YEARS IT WILL BE gone COMPLETELY ... in the summer. Do you think that nothing with change on the Earth, if the entire North Pole is gone? Many, many things will change. Weather, ocean currents, creatures - they all will change.

I understand your frustration about the weather. Hahahahaha!
But these changes are also not a game.
The Earth changes now - and WE caused it.

dT

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you have swallowed the KoolAid. The phrase changed from "global warming" to "climate change" once it was apparent that the world was NOT getting warmer (starting about 15 years ago). The predictions of massive storms ravaging the U.S. have certainly not materialized, with not a single major hurricane reaching our shores last year, compared to the 7 to 10 predicted by global warming supporters just a few years ago. And don't get me started on the .5 centimeter rise in the oceans compared to the 18 FEET predicted by crazy-as-an-entreprenurial-fox Al Gore.

The earth's climate has always been changing, and we might or might not be in a period of major change right now. In truth, while CO2 levels in the atmosphere are rising, this may have little or no connection to weather changes. I've read that during the min-Ice Age that took place a few hundred years ago, the CO2 level was much HIGHER than it is today.

All of the major "accepted" computer climate models have been absolutely unable to make even the most basic predictions about future weather. To then use these poor models to make decisions that would ravage our economy and our way of life is beyond stupid. All that would result in increased governmental control and power over our then diminished lives.

Ironically, those most demanding that we reduce our use of energy and quality of life claim that they recognize that other nations, particularly China and India, will do nothing except make vague promises for cut backs far into the future. So the advocates of climate change action now would have us ruin our economy and our lives for likely NO change in world wide atmospheric conditions whatsoever.

More and more scientists are coming out with their skepticism about the hysteria of climate change. Recognize the movement for what it is: the latest focus of "progressivism" to increase government control over us and our life choices. The same folks who were ardent Communists, saying that was the wave of the future, now are ardent "environmentalists" looking for the same old control of a free nation, with them as the elite "controllers".

I proudly wear my t-shirt that proclaims I am a "refined hydrocarbon recycler".

Now I'll just go back to waiting a few days or weeks for some of this "global warming" to melt and let me get back on the roads.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
It really amazes me what people will accept. They accept "global warming" or now politically correct "climate change" without even the barest minimum of scientific proof. Yet "plate tectonics" was the stupidest thing anyone ever theorized. Even with valid scientific proof that the earth was indeed moving under our feet those poor geologists were off their rocker. I've seen in my short life "plate tectonics go from outlandish ideas of mad men to accepted fact. But only with mountains of proof. Yet we are supposed to believe the planet is imploding with absolutely no proof and in fact more like proof that it might even be just the opposite. Yes the climate is changing. Does that all dang year long. That isn't rocket science!

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
Saturday is was in the mid 50 and sunny here.
Late last night I was driving through a snowstorm to get home. There is almost 4 inches of the white stuff on the ground.

It's March in Wisconsin, these things are not uncommon.

As for climate change...
Science is a messy business. And it is the process of science to constantly evolve theories and ideas.
It is a FACT that the world as a whole is getting warmer.
It has been proven in a labratory that CO2 could be a factor.
The rest is theory and conjecture, and the evidence can be bent however one wishes to meet their own biases and agenda

The brutal truth is that humans have been raping mother earth for centuries and we just keep finding ways to accelerate that process. One of these millennia she will have her revenge and shake us off like so many fleas.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I doubt that global warming will affect Vito and his motorcycle very much.

I didn't "buy into" anything. If you doubt what I said above, take a visit to the North Pole in July of this year. I suggest that you DON'T pack your snowshoes - maybe take a wetsuit and some fins. You'll need it ... because you will be swimming.

It's kind of ironic that the old-time explorers who went to the North Pole, and endured many hardships (like eating their own sled dogs) ... might have accomplished NOTHING. What good does it do, when the whole thing melts like an ice cube in a glass of rum? HAHAHA!

Here's a new article that explains WHY this is a problem.
All the ocean currents in the Atlantic are going to change. It won't affect Vito. But it will affect a lot of people who fish in the Gulf Stream.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/23/8277345/atlantic-overturning-circulation

dT

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I'm for the most part conservative, but there is no doubt in my mind that global warming / climate change is real. There's nothing communist about me. My schooling, however, and knowledge of science led me to that conclusion. I find it funny and a little bit disturbing that climate change denialists are so hell-bent on portraying those of us who believe that climate change as liberal, hippie communists. What KoolAid are you drinking that makes you think academics are controlled by some uber-liberal organization trying to take over the world?

News flash: Maybe, just maybe, climate change is real and it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with politics.

And really, beyond being thought of as a tree hugger, is changing our lifestyle to reduce our impact on the Earth really a bad thing? I fear most people in this nation are too selfish to give up anything they have, even if it meant a better world for their children...

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
That theory has been around for some time now. The thing is with that theory, if we reversed absolutely everything we've done, that process has already started and it will finish. You don't stop the conveyor belt over night. That thing is massive. That's like saying I can blow enough hot air out my mouth to stop a tornado. Ain't gonna happen.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
This here earth and it's weather has been changing since the day it was "born". That being said, the American Indians (and I'm sure other early man/cultures) traveled and tried not to leave too much of a footprint. They believed in taking care of mother earth.

Somewhere along the line humans in general lost that respect and decided they could do anything to benefit themselves and consequences didn't matter. You know, food in throw away cans instead of reusable jars, water in plastic bottles instead of filling a glass from a fountain, using plastic bags that take forever to break down instead of paper sacks which are gone in just a few years and other stuff like that.

I don't go crazy like some but I do try to be earth friendly. Don't litter, recycle what I can, use cloth reusable bags when shopping, plant flowers and trees, leave things and places in as good of shape or better than pre-me. Clean up after myself and others when needed. These are easy things to do but they make a big difference over a lifetime or if many people do them.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Talk about drinking the coolaid!
I think you have swallowed the KoolAid. The phrase changed from "global warming" to "climate change" once it was apparent that the world was NOT getting warmer (starting about 15 years ago).
The Republican party decided to change the name, for political reasons, not scientific reasons. This is just another indictment of the state of science education in this country. The earth did NOT stop warming 15 years ago, the oceans ARE getting warmer, and the ice at the poles IS shrinking rapidly. This is happening faster than it has in about 3 million years, and is directly traceable to the rapid rise greenhouse gasses, carbon dioxide from fossil fuels, methane from farming, and other sources.

Just remember, climate is NOT weather; weather will always change from hot to cold and back. Look at the southwest - I bet they can't appreciate you assuming snow means global warming is a myth.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
MONI said:
Clean up after myself and others when needed. These are easy things to do but they make a big difference over a lifetime or if many people do them.
Until I got involved with an adapt a highway thing I had no idea just what kind of pigs this nation has running around it. There is no getting around it. We are PIGS! I take that back. We are much MUCH worse than pigs. Pigs are clean. We have some very filthy inconsiderate people doing everything they can to make every place look like a garbage dump. Once a month just doesn't stand a chance to stay ahead of the filth. We are out there every week. And we have prison inmates that do this too. It's sickening what is going on.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
AWWWWWWWWW............... Members here of MI and IL are cold ???????? Try living in the real northeast and then you might have valid reasons to complain...... :biggrin:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
It's not like the earth doesn't go through cycles that include temp and climate. And guess what? Scientist have known about this climate changes and their cycles for a long long time. They even traced the patterns back to the time Dynos walked the surface. Yet we all act surprised.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
20,000 years ago ice sheets covered much of North America, northern Europe and Asia. Those ice sheets impacted Earth's climate. About 13,000 years ago those ice sheets started melting. Man couldn't have started that process if he wanted to. He was just learning to use a stick as a tool. He didn't even have metal tools yet, The first metal tools are dated to about 8,000 years ago!

Now people are complaining that man's emissions are screwing with the weather. Maybe they have a point. I don't know. I don't trust the scientists on either side of the issue.

How far are you willing to go to reverse climate change and make the arctic frozen again? Assuming that's even possible or desireable, Will you give up living in a modern world powered by fossil fuel? How would an economy even retool itself to evolve to a future without fossil fuel? They say nuclear power is better for the environment, but people protest against building new reactors. Plastics are made from petroleum. Should refining petroleum and plastics be banned too? Should the meat industry be shut down because some say it contributes to global warming? How would you decide what level of polution is allowable?

Maybe someone on this forum will do something that will really save the planet. I'm an opptimist. It could happen.

Meanwhile I refuse to feel guilty when I switch on a light or fire up my motorcycle

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I think you have swallowed the KoolAid. The phrase changed from "global warming" to "climate change" once it was apparent that the world was NOT getting warmer (starting about 15 years ago). The predictions of massive storms ravaging the U.S. have certainly not materialized, with not a single major hurricane reaching our shores last year, compared to the 7 to 10 predicted by global warming supporters just a few years ago. And don't get me started on the .5 centimeter rise in the oceans compared to the 18 FEET predicted by crazy-as-an-entreprenurial-fox Al Gore.

The earth's climate has always been changing, and we might or might not be in a period of major change right now. In truth, while CO2 levels in the atmosphere are rising, this may have little or no connection to weather changes. I've read that during the min-Ice Age that took place a few hundred years ago, the CO2 level was much HIGHER than it is today.

All of the major "accepted" computer climate models have been absolutely unable to make even the most basic predictions about future weather. To then use these poor models to make decisions that would ravage our economy and our way of life is beyond stupid. All that would result in increased governmental control and power over our then diminished lives.

Ironically, those most demanding that we reduce our use of energy and quality of life claim that they recognize that other nations, particularly China and India, will do nothing except make vague promises for cut backs far into the future. So the advocates of climate change action now would have us ruin our economy and our lives for likely NO change in world wide atmospheric conditions whatsoever.

More and more scientists are coming out with their skepticism about the hysteria of climate change. Recognize the movement for what it is: the latest focus of "progressivism" to increase government control over us and our life choices. The same folks who were ardent Communists, saying that was the wave of the future, now are ardent "environmentalists" looking for the same old control of a free nation, with them as the elite "controllers".

I proudly wear my t-shirt that proclaims I am a "refined hydrocarbon recycler".

Now I'll just go back to waiting a few days or weeks for some of this "global warming" to melt and let me get back on the roads.

Exactly right. There is very little empirical evidence to support the claims of the north pole melting or global warming in general. It is all based on computer models. Models which rely on people to input data, data that has already admittedly been altered to get the desired outcome. And scientists can't continue to get govt grants to research something that doesn't exist.
Climate scientists can't even explain things such as the Piri Reis map which shows the coastal land mass of Antarctica long before the continent was even discovered, and at a time scientists claim it was covered in ice.
Global climate change scientists aren't driven by politics, their driven by the greed of obtaining govt grant money. The same greed that motivates politicians to promote the lie in an effort to enact huge tax hikes to combat the non-existent problem.
It amazes me how many people will openly admit that they believe all politicians are corrupt liars, but not about climate change. On that subject they are telling us all the truth. BS.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
Sheep in Australia produce more gas (cause the most damage to the ozone) than all the humans in the world.

Read that several years ago. You don't hear it mentioned any more. Wonder why?

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Sheep in Australia produce more gas (cause the most damage to the ozone) than all the humans in the world.

Read that several years ago. You don't hear it mentioned any more. Wonder why?
Because lamb chops and wool sweaters are more important than ozone?

Just a guess. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 132 Posts