Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some youtube videos and specifically one on racer tv about some of those new age cafe racer scrambler bikes. The one that was featured was a concept Husqavarna concept called the white arrow and the other the black arrow. both were naked bikes. and as much as I love the way these bikes look with the engine exposed I can't help but wonder what they would look like if the fairings were finished out. by this I mean covered the entire engine. Would the bikes just be a crotch rocket then or would these designers be able to design a look that would distinguish from a crotch rocket? if not just to protect the engine from dirt but also to look quote un quote, cooler. I think could be done, and would be kind of rad to see.

here's the search term to the video on youtube so you can see what I saw on channel "racertv". Search "Cafe Racer and Scrambler (Husqvarna 401 concept bikes)"

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Basically you would have a sport bike. (BTW, crotch rocket is not a type of bike but rather a derogatory term for a sport bike) Most naked bikes are simply sport bikes with the fairings removed. Unless of course You want fairings that are not aerodynamic. Not all sport bikes have radical riding positions. Some are more upright, some are more race positioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize if you take offense to crotch rocket I merely meant sport bike or super sport. I've had friends who rode crotch rockets and never took offense in fact used the term quite frequently.

What I mean is if the fairings enveloped the entire bike not just the upper half of the bike, and if the design followed suit but not that of a sport bike but of the concept. See what I am saying? If you watched the youtube video then you would see how the concept bikes might look pretty awesome. Not that they don't already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So a whacamacalit or a dohicky or even the chingalara are not acceptable terms in the world? Cause I hear these terms quite often.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Ok so this is a Honda cb750 café racer with a fairing, so as you said its "un-naked" but the fairing alone doesn't make it a sport bike, its the gearing stance and body positioning that makes it a "crotch rocket". even if you took the fairing off it would still be a sport bike.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Ok so this is a Honda cb750 café racer with a fairing, so as you said its "un-naked" but the fairing alone doesn't make it a sport bike, its the gearing stance and body positioning that makes it a "crotch rocket". even if you took the fairing off it would still be a sport bike.
Now, I would like to see a fairing like that mounted on the new CB1100, as well as a similar tail section, only long enough to have the plate mounted in the proper place.

If Honda was to offer that, and go with a cross-plane crank like in the Yammie R1, I would possibly even consider trading in my Vmax lol

·
7,502 Posts
Crotch rocket has been used for years as slang for a clip-on, high peg, mega horsepower peg scraper. It is not derogatory.:p

maybe the word 'crotch' offends some sensitive people:biggrin:

The new naked bike coming out soon that I like, is the Ducati Scrambler and it is HOT looking.

I like the naked style (excuse me for using the word 'naked.') because it makes servicing the bikes so much easier.

Sam:icon_cool:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Crotch rocket has been used for years as slang for a clip-on, high peg, mega horsepower peg scraper. It is not derogatory.:p

maybe the word 'crotch' offends some sensitive people:biggrin:

The new naked bike coming out soon that I like, is the Ducati Scrambler and it is HOT looking.

I like the naked style (excuse me for using the word 'naked.') because it makes servicing the bikes so much easier.

Sam:icon_cool:
Point taken Porky....I love the look of the new Duc. I'm curious though what they did to give it more bottom end. Typically a Duc doesn't like anything below 5000 revs.

·
7,502 Posts
Yeah Murph, I can't wait to see the Duck in person.

I came very close to buying a new 350cc, single cylinder Ducati Scrambler in 1968. It was light, great looking, sounded awesome and had lots of low end torque. I also remember that it topped out at 90 mph too:biggrin: Here's a short history:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDcQFjAG&url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_Scrambler&ei=IzmDVP6DK8OHyASav4DAAw&usg=AFQjCNED93s11ihi9c4DGo7O7KGed_BFgg&sig2=Gm3-sChV11RNfwMT8zdyoA

This new one reminds me a lot of the old one and that's a good thing.

Sam:)

·
Registered
535 Posts
(BTW, crotch rocket is not a type of bike but rather a derogatory term for a sport bike) Most naked bikes are simply sport bikes with the fairings removed.
That is not entirely true. A crotch rocket is a 120+hp 600cc bike or a 180+hp 1000cc bike. Not all naked bikes have 120+hp.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Husqavarna is re-discovering the Scrambler concept with those bikes. They are not sport bikes. Husqavarna makes sport bikes, too. They have a spiffy 390cc bike they're sending here next year. As for naked versus full-fairing bikes, look at the Ducati 848 versus the Ducati Streetfighter 848. That's what the same bike looks like naked versus with a fairing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts