Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am somewhat of a biker 10 years with 3 years on top of a bike spread out... I don't wrench (yet) and have always been on metric being from the UK... I now work for a Biker Social Media company based out of Texas which I will be moving over to join and as its a biker company want to get back into biking and in fact learn more about US brands (Harleys and Indians) and the Laws...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eorgia. You can actually get a ticket for going too fast, and another one for going too slow at the same time.
I don't want to sound stupid but how... Is there 1mph margin of error between them both?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait until you hear about some of the laws in the state of Georgia. You can actually get a ticket for going too fast, and another one for going too slow at the same time.
A colleague of mine hooked me up with some friends of his in Atlanta while I was there called Brothers Moto - awesome place.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I don't want to sound stupid but how... Is there 1mph margin of error between them both?
It's nothing like that. It's the state of Georgia that is stupid. It has to do with a "slow poke" law that states if you are in the far left lane you must keep up with traffic regardless of how fast that is (even exceeding the speed limit by whatever ungodly amount), if there is another vehicle behind you.
Actually encourages tailgating

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,648 Posts
Welcome. You will find that America with it's wide roads doesn't believe in the rule to stay in the slow lane except to pass. But then again they have never had a vehicle approaching them at twice their own speed, flash their lights twice and expect the slower car to get the hell out of the way before they get run over.

Here they are just as likely to slam on their brakes to prove that they can be where ever they want to be and the hell with everyone else. Little do they realize that they would be dead in the above scenario as the car closing on them would not hit the brakes until it was too late.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So some good insight so far thanks guys.... The one thing that I find strange tho is some states don't allow white lining (passing between cars) is that right? In the UK and Europe its seen as a certain amount of privileges are given to bikers as by being on a bike we put our life in harms way so we are allowed to use bus lanes, white lining etc...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,648 Posts
Not at the moment, only in California. Can't even filter at a stop sign/light

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
Not at the moment, only in California. Can't even filter at a stop sign/light
I only did it once there and got blocked twice. But that was back in 1970. They are supposedly much more educated now. You couldn't prove it to me though with the defecation on the streets there.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas. We also have a law similar to the one in Georgia, but you've got to be holding up 2 cars, (or more) behind you in the left lane.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
We also have a law similar to the one in Georgia, but you've got to be holding up 2 cars, (or more) behind you in the left lane.
But is it similar to the point that you can be going 80mph in a 60mph zone and still get a ticket for going too slow?
This law has been in effect here for about 1 1/2 years. It has led to a major increase in single car crashes on one particular freeway from cars going off the road at speeds over 100 mph.

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
It has led to a major increase in single car crashes on one particular freeway from cars going off the road at speeds over 100 mph.
That's certainly one way to clean the gene pool up a little.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Seems to me the ones who need to be weeded out are the jokers who passed and signed that law.
^+1
But for a long list of other reasons (but this one is still on the list).
Woah.....that sounds like my kind of law, they can't ticket me for going to slow if they can't catch me!!!
You know what they say, no one can out run a radio.
I just thought of one of my favorite speeder news stories.
Someone on an MC (not sure which modal, but one much faster than mine) got clocked on radar doing speeds over 150mph. Police had trouble catching him, but finally did. His excuse was he was running late for his DMV appointment to take his MC road test.

·
Registered
266 Posts
^+1
But for a long list of other reasons (but this one is still on the list).
You know what they say, no one can out run a radio.
I just thought of one of my favorite speeder news stories.
Someone on an MC (not sure which modal, but one much faster than mine) got clocked on radar doing speeds over 150mph. Police had trouble catching him, but finally did. His excuse was he was running late for his DMV appointment to take his MC road test.
That's a funny story, and yes sometimes that radio is pretty fast. I was once clocked at a hundred over by a county deputy, 165 mph in a 65. In Arizona that is 5 times criminal speed. He didn't chase me, he didn't have to I pulled over for him (I have never run from the law). He laughed, I laughed. His radio would not have done any good in this area. Turns out he was a biker too and admitted he runs a bit fast. He was also a pilot like me, also a combat vet like me, also I was in law enforcement (although not a sworn officer). We talked bikes, war stories, stupid crooks, flying and airplanes, and when it was all over I got a verbal warning!! On the other hand, last summer a riding friend was clocked by a county deputy going 122 in a 65. Navajo County has a policy not to chase motorcycles, but he did broadcast to the nearby town, that was in route. The locals pulled over my friend and held him for the deputy. Didn't turn out too bad, he had some expensive fines to pay, had several days in court, had to take a class, but didn't loose his endorsement and they didn't take his bike, nor did he spend any jail time. I'm sure his insurance is going to sky rocket!!

Here, like many states, the beltways and highways are at least 65 and folks are typically rolling 85-90. It's real aggrivating while in the car pool lane when I come up behind a Prius going the speed limit!! I have no problem with anyone driving the speed limit, just get over in the slow lane and stay out of the way. That seem polite and safe to me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts