Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You ride past something that would make a great picture but instead of flipping a bitch you keep on going.

You're determined to always keep moving TOWARD your destination, and never reverse course, not even for a diner that looked promising. Or an ice cream place in the middle of a hot afternoon.

Well on this last trip, my riding buddy REFUSED to pay $5.99 a gallon for gas, at Raggedy Point, and I REFUSED to risk running out of fuel by continuing on. So we backtracked 21 miles to Cambria California, near Hearst Castle, where gas was only $4 a gallon. (He was VERY reluctant to backtrack) It was late in the afternoon, and we decided to get a motel there and call it a day.

And it turned out to be the best decision we made on the entire trip, because the next morning, we had 100+ miles of Highway 1 all to ourselves. No RV's, no traffic, just beautiful scenery, open road, no wind, and no sun in our eyes like the afternoon before.

So why is it we're so damn adamant about never backtracking. U-turn reluctance. Going back to that flea market, or fruit and vegetable stand. Or the car broken down on the side of the road we might be able to help.
Or that old country store.

It's about the journey, NOT the destination, right? And isn't it all the little stops, the folks you meet, that MAKE the trip worthwhile? Getting there is over-rated.

I know, on my scooter, which is a LOT easier to get on and off than my big Concours, I flip the bitch a LOT more when something looks interesting.

I also know I need more practice making more confident, tighter U-turns on the big Connie.

Part of it is it's difficult to stop a riding companion ahead of you without intercoms, or whatever. You've got to zoom to catch up, signal a U-turn, and then head back. It might take a MILE to do this.

Sometimes part of it is finding a decent place to MAKE the U-turn.

Part of it is riding so damn fast so that you CANT just pull in when you see something interesting and HAVE to U-turn.

Why NOT ride slower through the small towns, etc. Deliberately, with the idea you ARE going to see somethign worth pulling over for.

But mainly it's that belief that.....always forward, never go backwards. Gotta get there!

So you end up stopping only at convenience stores to fill up and hydrate, or pee. Yeah, like THAT's an interesting way to ride.

And I"m deciding that's wrong. The more I stop, the more I U-turn to something interesting, the more interesting pictures I take, the more I get off the bike and visit with folks, the more I enjoy the ride/

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
Excellent Points and totally agree unless I am on a time limit to get somewhere .. Then it's 1 stop, Hydrate, Full Tank, Empty Bladder then Repeat 150 Miles Later .. Have found if set a reasonable goal for the day and follow this then towards the end with the goal in mind close by can take a few stops, detours for enjoyment once your goal is in sight .. Otherwise if just cruising, see something you like backtracking is fine ..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
"U-turn reluctance" must be a pretty common phenomena

So much so that it's even listed as a choice in my GPS routing preferences "avoid U turns" & that's gotta be there because sooooo many people want the option!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Christine, as far as I can see, the one goal of the American government that NEVER CHANGES is to keep gasoline prices below a certain threshold. (Although it's an ever increasing threshold...)

That's because we are a 99.99% automotive based culture. Our country is large, very spread out, and driving from suburbia to the city to work - solo - is what 90% of our people do. To be "poor" in America is not to own your own car and be able to go wherever you want, WHENEVER you want.

And when gas goes over $5 a gallon (current pain level) our government will do anything --- start foreign wars, depose governments, drill in beautiful sanctuaries, risk huge spills --- to keep it below that. Because the voters get very angry and one political party or the other gets the blame, and loses seats in Congress.

That's how that whole mess in Iran started 40 years ago, the war in Kuwait and Iraq, Deepwater Horizon, the Exxon Valdez, and the Keystone pipeline. Anything for oil. I mean it. ANYTHING. Including contaminating our groundwater by hydraulic fracturing (fracking) to extract that last 5% of oil.

Black gold. Texas Tea. Next thing you know ole Jed's a millionaire....

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell Bent for Leather...

Sometimes it really is the destination, like when I am headed to see my dad over 1000 miles from my home.
Oldman, I commute 1200+ miles to Alabama to oversee a mentally disabled brother 5-6 times per year. Yeah, I have to get there. But by adding ONE extra day of travel time I can make the trip 100% more memorable.

That extra day gives me the freedom to explore a scenic route that's 12 miles longer. Head past that lake in NW Oklahoma instead of sticking to the route I've already ridden a dozen times. Stop at some country store, or U-turn and look at that bike for sale by the side of the road instead of hauling azz down the superslab.

When you get to the end of your life, don't you think you'll wish you'd added one extra day PER TRIP, giving you that freedom to U-turn, instead of blasting across I-40, hell bent for leather?

I'd give ya a dozen of my days if I could, just so you could enjoy your commutes as much as I've enjoyed mine.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be about a reluctance to make a U-turn on a motorcycle. With my new bike (just got it in April) I find I am very reluctant to try to make a moderately tight U-turn. Maybe its the weight; its about 800 pounds which is about 250 more than my last bike. I've signed up for a "ride like a pro" one day class just for this maneuver. I'll post afterwards to say whether or not I successfully mastered the U-turn. (I almost hate to admit all of the above since I have been riding motorcycles for over 30 years but still get nervous about making a tight U-turn.)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Shifting weight to the outside is not hard to do, but shifting weight on the pegs of a forward controls cruiser is a bit of a challenge.

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
I really don't know what the reluctance to make a "U" turn comes from. I do it all the time on a bike. In fact it's the only time I will. In car and go past something, it's gone. But on a bike I'll whip a "u" turn in an instant. If you can't make a 'u' turn, just what else are you not able to do? I'd be worried about that if I was in that boat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Ride Like a Pro class is worth every penny. I took it recently in Flor-i-DUH, and I reduced the space I needed to make a U-turn on my 2012 Gold Wing from 41 feet to 21 feet or less. I can turn so tightly now! The class teaches you WHERE to look. The difficulty in making a U-turn is that most riders are looking in the wrong place. Your bike WILL go where you are looking, so if you want your bike to whip around 180 degrees on a two-lane street, you must look way over your shoulder (as if looking over your rear saddle bag) and make it happen. I highly advise people to take this course and learn how to make uber-tight U-turns!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Oldman, I commute 1200+ miles to Alabama to oversee a mentally disabled brother 5-6 times per year. Yeah, I have to get there. But by adding ONE extra day of travel time I can make the trip 100% more memorable.

That extra day gives me the freedom to explore a scenic route that's 12 miles longer. Head past that lake in NW Oklahoma instead of sticking to the route I've already ridden a dozen times. Stop at some country store, or U-turn and look at that bike for sale by the side of the road instead of hauling azz down the superslab.

When you get to the end of your life, don't you think you'll wish you'd added one extra day PER TRIP, giving you that freedom to U-turn, instead of blasting across I-40, hell bent for leather?

I'd give ya a dozen of my days if I could, just so you could enjoy your commutes as much as I've enjoyed mine.
Wade, for me it really is the ride. If I am headed for a destination that is what matters. If I am on a routine distance ride, the experience itself is more important. In either case I am happy to give up 10 or 15 minutes as a side trip, but if I am riding to get something done that takes over for longer delays.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts