Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ton, 100 mph or 100 score at darts.
The 83 XS400 hit 100, at 10,000 revs when new. Probably with a skinny kid in leathers, and tucked in like a board racer.
I have a front window, spats ( leg guards ) top box and ammo case side bags. My best to date is a nudge over 90, sitting in a normal position.
Since I discovered and fixed an air leak, Deep Purple has been running better. So next time on the mainland and the freeway, I will test for top speed again. 90 comes at 9,000 revs. If I get 2 more mph I will be happy. 95 would be great. 100 is dreaming I think.

The other bike is Noddy, a 96 Triumph Trophy 900. Noddy had on an aftermarket front window, larger than stock. I had a lot of buffeting and out of attitude handling with this. The more material from the screen I removed, the better it got. I just installed an original front window which has a different flatter angle, and less volume.
So Noddy will get a 100 mph run to see how he handles. Noddy has saddle bags, but I do not use the top box. There will be a bag on the back sitting for and aft.

One of them gets to go on Thursday this week.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,519 Posts
Krusty if you can just get to your age you will be passing everyone on the highway :)

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
Yeah, you have to be cautious of Mr. Smokey too. They have been running in pairs here so when people see one busy giving an invitation out they think they can go. They can until his partner down the road nabs him. And now I see not just 2 but 4 sometimes. 2 DPS and 2 Sheriff. That's in the next major town down the road. Not exactly sure what the cause but do think Mary Jane is at the root, with states around allowing it and people coming back with their supply. This is one time I wish they would stop me so I can find out what the deal is for sure. But you can bet you bottom dollar I'm doing the speed limit now.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
I’m not sure that is all that is going on myself. It looks like they are having fun to me. Especially towards the end of the month. In 30 miles I have counted 10 law enforcement officers. That’s the marked vehicles. Some of those could have been unmarked and I thought they were who got stopped. Sure looks like a party. But if they are keeping drugs off the street I’m for it too. But occasionally I see them on the evening news in high speed chase that didn’t end well. That’s putting the public in danger no matter how many they have. ? ? ?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Be nice if they had some kind of little missile so when Mr. Numnuts decides he ain't stopping, Officer Duright could put the habeas graba$$ on him.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
Something I’ve been wondering is why they haven’t started killing the engine on cars being used in a high speed chase. I know they can do it. Seems like a public safety issue to allow it to me. But there must something that keeps them from doing it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Probably afraid without power steering, (and A/C?) bad little Johnny will panic and hit another car and, of course, the fault all lies with the Police.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On Noddy, on the damp road to the ferry. Lots of tar snakes, not good for higher speeds. Changes to good grip for a while, ran Noddy to 90, car ahead so did not go faster. On the main freeway leaving the ferry. Lots of traffic doing around 70, some up to 80, no room. A bit blustery, but with all the traffic the window works better. Not bullet straight like Bluzu, but acceptable. Getting closer to Shirley's place and there is a gap ahead, about 1/4 mile. Ran Noddy to 105 which is around 7200 revs. So I am happy with the new window. Next I will try it with the adjustable part in the raised position. The piece came off the after market front window. I had a large bag on the back seat. Noddy is more stable with nothing on the back seat.

UK

·
Warning: Mood change in 3... 2... 1...
284 Posts
Rarely do the PSL but also rarely the fastest car in the pack (because I usually get a ticket when I am). Did accidentally (no, seriously) hit 105 in the Ford Focus on a long straight stretch of empty highway, and unaccidentally pushed Trouble to just make 100 on that same stretch a few years later. ?‍♀ It was before switching the front pulley, and honestly just seemed too much work for the bike. Might be different now but I've done it and don't need to do it again. I like being able to look around when I'm on two wheels. :unsure: I'm told I hit 150 as a pillion once, but I didn't see what it looked like, what with my eyes closed and face smashed into the back of my pilot and all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
A nice thing about my Goldwing is its ability to ride smoothly and comfortably, carry me and a lot of storage in the side cases and trunk, and usually without even breathing hard. But it also easily hits the ton and stays just as smooth. I have a nice stretch of very open country road near me where there is hardly ever any vehicles at all. Just for the adrenaline rush I enter this stretch at about 65 and push it up to about 105 or 110 on the speedo. I usually just keep it there for about 5 seconds and then ease off the throttle. That's as fast as I have taken the Goldwing, and its fast enough for this old man. No tickets yet!

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Further tests for Noddy postponed until next year. Had to put two plugs in the back tyre this morning, so kept speed under 65 on the freeway. Noddy will get parked for the winter, and get a new rear tyre.

Deep Purple the XS400 will be on the freeway 05 december.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
You are the second person that has said they can't find an edit button. On what kind of device and what browser or app are you using?

On my computer using OPERA, the Edit button is just above the message or post you entered.

On my iPhone, again using OPERA, the EDIT button can be found by selecting the tiny rectangle thing here...

If using Tapatalk, select the text you just posted and another line of options will pop up and in that will be EDIT here...

·
15,519 Posts
I think the system knows I make a lot of typing mistakes, the edit button is front and center :)

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Cheking.

UK
I use Chrome. Edit is within my post, to the right of #16. Did not think to look there. Under my post I have signs to indicate an action, rather than words, save for Reply at the left. Then a quotation sign with a +, a funny triangle thing that means share, and an exclamation mark for report.
I did manage to edit post #16. However the post does not say it has been edited. I do not care, as long as I can do it.
Might try a photo some time.

UK

Edit, edit. Editing this post that I wrote about 5 hours ago.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
I don't know if there is a time limit on editing like we had in the other format or not. There might not be one so they don't care if you edit something therefore it doesn't say edited. I don't know so will have to take what y'all say about that since as moderator I get to no matter what. So let me know if you do find there is a time limit or not. So others will know as well.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know if there is a time limit on editing like we had in the other format or not. There might not be one so they don't care if you edit something therefore it doesn't say edited. I don't know so will have to take what y'all say about that since as moderator I get to no matter what. So let me know if you do find there is a time limit or not. So others will know as well.
Was able to edit post number 17. About 5 hours after I wrote it.

UK

·
15,519 Posts
My post is 8 hours old and still has the edit button

1 - 20 of 29 Posts