Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions about the 2015 HD Soft Tail Slim:

A) What does it feel like to ride that low to the road (23 inches)? What does
that mean in terms of control or ride or fatigue?
B) Why is it called a "Slim?" What did they do to it, to call it that? Did
they narrow its profile or something like that?

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
A) What does it feel like to ride that low to the road (23 inches)?
-Feels pretty normal to me.

What does that mean in terms of control or ride or fatigue?
-Theoretically it would handle pretty well, since your center of gravity is now closer to the road, but I don't know if that makes any real practical difference or not. As for ride comfort and fatigue, that depends on how well you "fit" that particular bike, same as with any other machine. Some people are going to love the feel, and others won't. Lot's of riders lower their machines for a more comfortable ride. I'm one of them.

B) Why is it called a "Slim?" What did they do to it, to call it that? Did they narrow its profile or something like that?
It's called that because of its over all appearance. They didn't narrow the bike or anything. It has large fork tubes that make the front end look kind of muscular and beefy, and that, along with the low seat, normal sized rear tire, close turn signals, and so forth, make the rest of the bike look sort of narrow-waisted.

·
8,572 Posts
Soupy, you sure wouldn't have to get used to the Harley, since your bike now is already the same style, close ergonomics and easy to ride and allows the riders feet to be placed firmly on the ground.

One ride and you'd jump ship and join the Pirates, Matey:)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Glad someone else can help by answering your question, even though I have a Harley it has a seat height of 30". Being 6'4" I prefer a taller bike and won't be buying anything shorter than what I have. I think Harley is just trying to sell to more(read shorter) riders.

·
8,572 Posts
To short riders and to women who typically are getting into the club by buying a Sportster and then later moving up to a big twin.

Women look Sooooooo nice on a Harley:)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I really like Harleys, I was looking at some the other day... I can't figure out how they made some of these giant engines that put out only 50HP?? I know there are some that are much more powerful, esp the V-Rod which I like...but 50-60HP isn't enough power for the size of some of them IMO..

But I'm not sure I want to be that low to the ground.. I assume they have several models that are taller... I like to be higher up to see over traffic. To me it's one of the advantages of riding a (taller) bike and useful for staying safe...

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's just that I'm used to seats that are typically about 26 inches from the ground. The older Gold Wings used to have 30" seat heights, and even for me, at 6 ft. tall (although recently, the Doctor tried to tell me that I was shrinking, which I understand logically, but am fighting with gusto) a 30 inch seat was keeping me from being "flat footed" when seated on the bike.

(I'm listening to racoons or something, trying to tip over my trash cans right now, and it's distracting me).

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
...but 50-60HP isn't enough power for the size of some of them IMO..
Why would you think that?

My stock FLHR has maybe 62 hp and maybe 84 or so ft. lbs. of torque, and it isn't even close to be under powered. It has enough get-up-and-go to pass any vehicle I need to pass, even on the highway, and it will cruise quite comfortably all day long at 85mph. I've never felt it needed any more power.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's just that I'm used to seats that are typically about 26 inches from the ground. The older Gold Wings used to have 30" seat heights, and even for me, at 6 ft. tall (although recently, the Doctor tried to tell me that I was shrinking, which I understand logically, but am fighting with gusto) a 30 inch seat was keeping me from being "flat footed" when seated on the bike.

(I'm listening to racoons or something, trying to tip over my trash cans right now, and it's distracting me).

-Soupy
At 6ft and 250 I like the taller bikes also. My doctor told me I was shrinking too I informed him that I was compacting that is the reason I look plump.
:biggrin::71baldboy:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I know I will get some crap thrown my direction for some of my following comments, hopefully the pitchers will "throw like a girl". Some people see Harleys as status symbols that make them seem bigger than they are. And yes, I have seen women riding Harleys that I would call "spinners"(ducking now). Ride what is comfortable to you, if that lower seat and center of gravity helps you ride bikes that on average are heavier than most then more power to you. I have sat on Harleys with the lower seats and they weren't for me. To TRondyne, Harleys have a lot of torque in the lower RPM range that in my opinion make them better as street bikes than some of the screaming banshees that only reach their true potential at around 10,000 RPM. There, do the Harley lovers forgive me now?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Forgive you for what? :) I'm not sure what you think you said that might be offensive.

I ride (mostly) lowered bikes because I like the way they feel, I like the way they look, and each of my bikes is set up to be as comfortable as I can make it for myself. Whether they are heavier or taller or shorter then another bike doesn't interest me in the least, nor is it part of my decision. What matters most to me is that despite past injuries I can still ride, and I can do it relatively comfortably. (I think rather stylishly too, but that's just my opinion. :wink:)

The only thing in your comment that had me guessing is I'm not sure what a "spinner" is.:biggrin: My wife rides her own, and it's a full size Heritage Softail. Heck, she rides more then most men I know and most men on this forum.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I know I will get some crap thrown my direction for some of my following comments, hopefully the pitchers will "throw like a girl". Some people see Harleys as status symbols that make them seem bigger than they are. And yes, I have seen women riding Harleys that I would call "spinners"(ducking now).
Here in WI, Harley Davidson rules the market, by a very large margin. I own one. I love it. Been super reliable, looks great, and with a few tweaks, rides great. But I can't tell you how many times I've overheard a HD salesman or HD rider makes the "real bike" comment to those that ride something other than HD. Hell, the salesman that sold me my HD back in 2006 asked me that once after pulling up to the dealership on my GSX-R. I had to remind him he sold me one already. I don't frequent that dealer any longer due to poor customer service.

That said, and as I said, I love my HD. It has a 27" seat height. I am 6'6" tall. If I stand up over the bike, my crotch is nearly a foot above the seat. I have other bikes, too. Most much taller. I feel comfortable on all of them. You just need to remember what each bike is designed for. But I've never had a concerned thought about sitting too low on my HD. In fact, being so close to the pavement makes everything see faster. :)

As for engine power, remember that HP is only part of the equation. With an HD or similar large V-twin engine, the torque plays in a lot more than on something like my sport bike. On my HD I can pull away from a stop without even thinking. Hell, I can roll away without even giving the engine throttle. On the sport bike I need to be a little more diligent with the throttle and clutch.

All pros and cons. Just remember what the bike is designed for and have fun riding.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thank you Dodsfall, I was not going to define the term other than in a crass or lewd way. Any women offended yet? The other comment about a Harley making someone "look" bigger was a reference to Napoleon complex. Non PC history books may help with understanding that. OH yeah, the "throw like a girl" comment could be directed at women or some men, derogatorially.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts