Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a beautiful day for riding, and minutes into my ride I had two close calls. One would have been just some damage, one might have cost me my life. And I certainly know better but let myself get careless. The first was as I getting on to the highway. Several cars in front me where it technically is a "right turn on red" but in reality, there is almost never a reason to more than slow down. The first few cars did just that, sort of rolled through and then accelerated to merge onto the highway. The car right in front of me started to move, so I glanced left just to be sure no one was coming and started to accelerate. A fraction of a second later I had to slam on my brakes (glad I have ABS). For some reason the car in front of me, after starting to move, came to a full stop and was just waiting there for a couple of seconds even though there was no need to do so. I knew it was my fault for ASSUMING the car would continue to accelerate rather than watching and making sure he did before I turned the throttle. I stopped just inches from his back bumper with my heart pounding. Moments later I merged onto the highway but this close call was still filling my brain and focus. I looked in my left mirror, saw the left lane was clear and without a real headcheck started to move over, now moving at about 65 or 70. Suddenly I saw that there had been a car in my blind spot that I would have seen with a real head check, but in my distraction over the earlier incident, got careless again.

I must admit that for the rest of my ride, about 3 hours total, I was really, really focused on not missing anything. I realized how lucky I was that the two incidents did not result in any damage or injury, but I certainly didn't want to have to count on luck for a third one. I've been riding about 36 years, and spent 10 years as an MSF Instructor. The only accident that I have ever had on a motorcycle was due to a mechanical issue out of my control. But today reminded me that experience does nothing to make up for carelessness.

I'm just glad that this ride today was not my last. I don't think I'll forget today's ride for a long, long time.

Reactions: 350Four

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
It is a fact that once in awhile we need those wake-up calls. Good if you survive and will last for some time. Glad you can continue but as we get older our reaction time does slow down. I still say they are trying to kill us and ride defensively with that in mind. The roads are so much more crowed today and you can almost bet your life they'll do the unexpected. I refuse to go to Dallas just because of the idiots. Fort Worth is only slightly better and they have some crazy intersections to deal with. Stay on guard at all time(if you can). That's hard to do. Sometimes your guardian angel has to help. I know there are times I've done things that there is no way I can do. That guardian angel had to be what did it to save my life.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
Glad you are still here and learned a valuable leason.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't know the law in Illinois, but here in SC it is right turn on red AFTER STOP. You never know these days when somebody just might actually obey the law...

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
I have seen this happen several times lately for some reason. The on-ramp to a highway is used to accelerate to merge into traffic. There have been several cases where the person instead of accelerating, starts to but then just stops cold. And if you are accelerating and looking back trying to see the spot where you can merge and this idiots stops when you are looking back, guess what? Of course you are at fault for ramming into the idiot. Yes/No/Maybe.......I've seen it several times. I've been fortunate to not be the one looking to merge but the one watching the merging traffic. But the wreck is there.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
I don't know the law in Illinois, but here in SC it is right turn on red AFTER STOP. You never know these days when somebody just might actually obey the law...
That's the law here too in New York but hardly anyone does it even with all those accursed red light cameras all over the place.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
One of the attributes that has served me well when riding is my head is on a continual swivel. Constantly looking every direction possible and trying to never assume anything from another rider or cage driver. Granted, there are always those times where the moment just goes out of focus and it is that moment that can get you killed.

I don't pretend to be the best rider on the highway, but I do try to be the most aware at all times. It seems no matter what state in which we live, we all claim to have the worst drivers, and Pennsylvania is no exception. As oldenslow stated, right turn on red after stop may be the rule, but absolutely no one adheres to it. If there is no one turning left in front of you, it's like a green light to turn right.

Not many drivers seem to understand the concepts of yield and merge. Most seem to have no idea what it means to blend in when entering an interstate highway. Traffic on the freeway has the right of way. There is no law that requires a driver occupying the cruising lane to move over, slow down or take any other action to let a merging vehicle on the highway. Yet I've been honked at, flashed lights and of course given the high sign for not doing just that. In slow moving traffic most of us will settle on the every other principle. That seems to work well.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Too many younger riders think the ability to ride fast, look cool, and have correct body position around a corner, is what is required. Bunk. Staying alive, learning about the quirks of traffic flow, is much more important. You guys that ride in heavy US traffic, are the real pros. If you have a few oops moments, that is okay with me.

UK

·
230 Posts
One of the attributes that has served me well when riding is my head is on a continual swivel. Constantly looking every direction possible and trying to never assume anything from another rider or cage driver. Granted, there are always those times where the moment just goes out of focus and it is that moment that can get you killed.

I don't pretend to be the best rider on the highway, but I do try to be the most aware at all times. It seems no matter what state in which we live, we all claim to have the worst drivers, and Pennsylvania is no exception. As oldenslow stated, right turn on red after stop may be the rule, but absolutely no one adheres to it. If there is no one turning left in front of you, it's like a green light to turn right.

Not many drivers seem to understand the concepts of yield and merge. Most seem to have no idea what it means to blend in when entering an interstate highway. Traffic on the freeway has the right of way. There is no law that requires a driver occupying the cruising lane to move over, slow down or take any other action to let a merging vehicle on the highway. Yet I've been honked at, flashed lights and of course given the high sign for not doing just that. In slow moving traffic most of us will settle on the every other principle. That seems to work well.
I'm dreading the day when I'm on my bike and get stuck behind a driver trying to merge 20mph slower than highway traffic. I think if that happens to me I'll just get back on the service road and try my luck at the next highway entrance.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No service roads on the highways around here.

Reactions: RogerC60

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Complete stop is the law out here...but hardly anyone ever complies with it unless the red light has a camera. In fact, people will turn at a light that says "No Turn On Red" so long as there isn't a camera to stop them.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm dreading the day when I'm on my bike and get stuck behind a driver trying to merge 20mph slower than highway traffic. I think if that happens to me I'll just get back on the service road and try my luck at the next highway entrance.
I've been there. Luckily, starting down the ramp I was looking ahead and realized there was no way I was going to be able to merge smoothly with a turtle in front of me. My solution -- I stopped in the wide emergency lane on the shoulder, waited until he finally got on the highway, waited a bit more until I saw a sufficient gap in the traffic flow coming up, and accelerated on down the ramp for a smooth merge. I don't care what the law says -- when I am on 2 wheels, if there's a doubt, I yield.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Turns on red ( right into traffic or left if the the street is a one-way) are a federal requirement to receive federal funds, unless the intersection is too dangerous.

I was actually rear-ended at a stop sign when I stopped. The woman who hit me said "I didn't realize you were going to stop." You just never know.

·
230 Posts
Turns on red ( right into traffic or left if the the street is a one-way) are a federal requirement to receive federal funds, unless the intersection is too dangerous.

I was actually rear-ended at a stop sign when I stopped. The woman who hit me said "I didn't realize you were going to stop." You just never know.
LoL same thing happened to me when I first started driving and the woman said pretty much the same thing!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm glad you were able to avoid both accidents Vito especially the high speed one. I would imagine you level of caution will be heightened on your next handful of rides.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great reminders! Glad to learn from your close calls than have to do them myself — and thanks for sharing. Stay safe out there!

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Complete stop is the law out here...but hardly anyone ever complies with it unless the red light has a camera. In fact, people will turn at a light that says "No Turn On Red" so long as there isn't a camera to stop them.
That is the law here in BC. Bicycles are supposed to use the same rules. I stopped at a red light on my bicycle, and got rear ended by another bicycle. Lots of yelling before impact. Guy was augering in as he made contact. I checked for traffic, and rode off. Bicycles are dangerous. One of at least three crashes in Victoria BC.

UK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts