Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the twisties I've come along way since I started riding 8 months ago. I'm still not fast by any means, but at least on right handers my lines are smooth and I always feel in control. Lefties, eh, not so much.

Just a matter of more practice? or is it normal for right-handed people to struggle more with left turns?

frustrating.

/Catharsis

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I think it's just a case of practice. You'll improve the more you do it.

I'm right handed and find the lefties easier to do, I will always choose a left U-turn over a right anyway. :D

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Yup, just keep practicing. I think its more a factor of riding on the right side of the road, at least for me. Wouldn't want to get decapitated by a car's side mirror!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most motorcyclists find it easier to do the left tight turns as it gets the throttle away from your body. The right turn get's hard and throttle control diminished when tucked closer to your body.

At speed though, I have no idea why you are having trouble. practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Try going to a parking lot early on a Sunday and just go in big circles until you feel more comfortable. Or sign up for a track day school.:cool:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I found left turns to be easier at speed just because there is more room on the outside, however left turns from a stop were harder, however after doing it for a few years its second nature now-a-days. If you having trouble with turns at speed make sure your looking through the turn the bike wants to go where your looking.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you having trouble with turns at speed make sure your looking through the turn the bike wants to go where your looking.
Good advise. You can find books on the net from Kieth Code they are the twist of the wrist series I. II. & II. and I think he has a vid now to. Kieth teaches superbike school in Cali. And his books are very informative. I have rode all my life and after a low side while recovering I got part I & II and found i had learned some bad self thought habits .:eek:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Do your slow practice in a parking lot where there are no cars, Sat or Sun at the college or wherever.
For technique, try Ride Like A Pro, which gives a lot of tips just on their website about slow turns, which you then practice and ultimately use on faster turns.
dc

·
Registered
38 Posts
How are you making turns.

This may be to elementary but when I first started riding I couldnt make turns except to go real slow. I tried to push the handle bar down and lean to get it to go around a curve. A friend told me to push my handle bars forward not down . Push the left handle forward for a left turn and right handle forward for a right turn. I dont even think about it anymore I just ride. Just light pressure is all it takes. If you are talking about slow turns thats another story.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
So, mtk, other than speed what do you notice different between your right and left turns?

One bug-a-boo can be that turning left is generally turning towards oncoming traffic.

Give a read of David L. Hough 'Proficient Motorcycling' (might be available at your local library). Learn and practice "late apexing".

Learn to look through the turn. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thread title is a poor. Left turns in traffic are fine, so are rights. 95% of my driving is stop and go city stuff. A product of practice I imagine.

With rights in the twisties, I've got the late apex principal down and I look through the turn (or through the canyon wall as it may be). On Lefts, when I look I always end up approaching the centerline and have to (or at least feel the need) adjust, which of course impacts, speed, angle the entire exit of the corner.

I appreciate all the responses, it's probably, in my estimation, a matter of practicing the corners more often until I can get the left-handed push on the bars as natural feeling as the right-handed push.

A track day would probably do wonders for it all. Hopefully, tomorrow will yield some PLP weather. It has been a while.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I think you know what you need to work on. Do you have anyone to ride with? Riding behind a better rider will help you see the better tracks and lines of the twisties. The open road might belong to the strongest engine but the twisties belong to the better rider! If you've just started or are coming back from a winter break - take time to practice! And learning to improve in the twisties makes riding fun! :D Use the resources talked about here; David Hough and Keith code's books and videos.

·
Motorcycling Unplugged !!
1,260 Posts
well my left turns are great but not that good on my rights .. so practice more and i guess that should get over... i do the same.

·
2,110 Posts
On Lefts, when I look I always end up approaching the centerline and have to (or at least feel the need) adjust, which of course impacts, speed, angle the entire exit of the corner.
It sounds to me like your coming into the corner to soon. Maybe you need to approach further to the right of the lane.

Thats kinda wierd that your better with right turns. Most people I know are better with lefts. Just keep practicing, but don;t push your limits.

Do you stay seated in your corners, or do you hang of the seat. If you hang off, you wont have to lean as far, therefore getting a bigger contact patch, witch might make it feel a little smoother. Ther are some great YouTube vids of proper cornering.

·
10,757 Posts
Especially coming off a stop sign/light I prefer the left as it gives me a bit of time to get going (the width of the right lane) before I have to initiate the turn.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you stay seated in your corners
I stay in the seat, shifting my weight in the turn but not trying to drag knees or pegs.

It sounds to me like your coming into the corner to soon. Maybe you need to approach further to the right of the lane.
This could very well be it, Next time I go out I'll try to focus on it.

Do you have anyone to ride with?
No riding partners. Wanted to avoid the pressure to keep up until I'd been up in the canyons a few times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another thing to consider is road camber. Most roads have a crown in the center. If there is no special banking built into the corner, taking a left-hand curve on the right-hand side of the road will feel a bit uncomfortable.
There are several things going on in this off-camber situation that can feel very unsettling. A lot more info about this is available in Twist of The Wrist 1.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Ummm...+1 on lane position going into a turn. Most riders like the left hand car track for most riding. That's a good line for a right hand turn. But you need to be in at least the other (right hand) track for a left hand or you'll cut too close too soon.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm working on my left turns as that's a problem of mine.

I'm going back to what I learned in my MSF class, slow, look, press and roll. I find if I keep my eyes at the end of the turn and start on the outside, I'm fine although if I move my head to study the curb or oncoming traffic I always drift to far put or in.

·
Shantytown Mayor
4,705 Posts
I'm much faster going uphill and on the level than going downhill. :D I know why but it doesn't make sense.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts