Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be the wrong forum for it, but I dont have enough posts to go elsewhere. I recently bought an 81 Twinstar to go to and from work. I am currently have the issue where if I hit the throttle somewhat hard, it will immediately bog out. If I just accelerate gradually it is fine. After I cleaned out the carb I noticed the pilot screw was tightened all the way, I backed it out a half turn. This is when the bogging problem started. It also idles high after it heats up a bit. But too low when I start it cold with the choke on. I have sprayed carb cleaner on the boot while idling and it does rev up, would this have anything to do with the bike bogging out?

·
American Legion Rider
18,498 Posts
Way back when, I had a brand new 71 Twinstar and it always bogged down slightly when I accelerated full throttle quickly. I always thought that was just the nature of it since with normal acceleration was just fine. Have you considered putting the pilot screw back the way it was to see if the bogging is less? Just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the manual states that you should tight the pilot screw all the way down, and when it was it didn't really idle. I could close it up a little bit to see if that made a difference. I guess I am curious if someone knows the right amount of turns/quarter turns to back out the pilot screw and whether or not the obvious leak in the carb boot would be enough of a problem to cause the high idle or the bogging (feels like it is flooding while riding)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And this bogging isnt slight, it will die if I dont let off the throttle quickly and let it get back to normal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, manual states that you SHOULDN'T tighten the pilot screw all the way down. Terrible typing on my part.

·
American Legion Rider
18,498 Posts
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along but I'd fix the obvious problem first. I'd say the leak you describe could very well cause the problem. There's not a whole lot of engine there if you know what I mean. And on my 1300 a simple thing like a fuel overflow tube not in place will cause a problem. So I'd fix that leak for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I will try and take care of that leak this weekend. I am also running a can of seafoam through it for good measure.

·
American Legion Rider
18,498 Posts
You might also ask your question on the "Motorcycle Repair" forum. Might get a answer there quicker than here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, just did. Needed a few posts before it allowed me to post there. Now I am just trying to get a few more so I can start seeing some pictures

1 - 9 of 9 Posts