Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m getting my motorcycle license/permit at the end of this month. It says you can’t drive with a passenger, during the night and on the freeway for 6 months, if you are under 21. How does that work if I turn 21 after 3 months of obtaining it? Anyone know? I don’t know who else to ask at this point ?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I would think that if you are no longer "under 21", that law is no longer applicable or binding BUT you should call your DMV for clarification. Just because it makes sense doesn't always make it so... particularly with any and all things "gov't" run...

·
Biker
1,634 Posts
Hello Sofia Mari, where are you? Massachusetts?

That's where I was when I got my permit to ride a bike, could not ride out of state either, that was many years ago.
Anyway, the permit was good for a year but any time you felt you were ready to take the road test you just went to
the DMV and scheduled for it. Then you rode over to the DMV, being on time with your papers, the registrar or hi-way
officer would tell you where to go, he'd follow and you'd end up on some side street where you would be told to do
some figure 8's circles and u-turns. If all was satisfactory, he'd have you go back to the DMV and issue you a license.
Good luck !

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Ask your DMV they should have the correct answer. Anything you get here will only be 'best guess'

·
Registered
677 Posts
Honestly, regardless of age, the 6 months is not a bad suggestion in the first place (assuming one rides frequently during that time to gain experience). Night riding is much more challenging with limited visibility and reduced reaction time being a problem, busy freeways are an obvious hazard, and having a passenger is dangerous without significant enough experience given it changes the dynamics of the handling of the bike dramatically at low speeds in particular. I'd call the DMV as these guys have suggested, but I'd recommend following the rule regardless. Be safe out there, and have fun!

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I'd go further and suggest you not risk the life of a passenger until you've had a years worth of experience or around 10k miles. Do what you want with your life but don't risk the life of a passenger until you have gained a lot of different scenarios. Especially low speed parking lot types. Then practice with 50 pounds of potatoes strapped on the bike or something with that much weight or even more. You'll soon see just how much the dynamics changes. Don't risk hurting a passenger while you learn your new balance techniques.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
So I’m getting my motorcycle license/permit at the end of this month. It says you can’t drive with a passenger, during the night and on the freeway for 6 months, if you are under 21. How does that work if I turn 21 after 3 months of obtaining it? Anyone know? I don’t know who else to ask at this point ?
Forget trying to time it all out. Get your License, and do yourself and any potential rider(s) a favor. Vow that you WON’T take any riders until you’ve at least had one riding season under your belt.

You need time to “become one” with your bike, and to become familiar with your new frame of reference to the relationship between you and your surroundings (roads, traffic, etc).

Your life, and more importantly, the life of the person who is surrendering it to your ability to protect it, depends on your ability to cope, as the operator of a motorcycle.

Even a “well seasoned” owner/driver, who has any amount of common sense, will drive responsibly, and even choose NOT to drive their bike or take passengers, if conditions or their own limitations, tell them to NOT go.

The other bikers out there, are more interested in how capable you are, than how COOL you are!!

As for night riding, you can’t know til you do it, what it’s really like. The key is to make yourself as visible as you can.......with reflective clothing, easily seen lights and reflectors, etc.. take your TIME getting where you are going. They’ll see you better if you go slower.

Don’t take unnecessary risks with blind spots, and don’t be bashful about using your horn to let someone know your there.

Keep your head on a swivel, and expect the unexpected. Plan your way out of a potential problem BEFORE you get there (S.I.P.D.E.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.