Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday morning was 35ºF, so I decided to drive the wife's car to work.

At Lunch, since I go home every day at Noon, I decided it had warmed up enough and was sunny enough........so I got on the bike.

The workplace decided that, as of this past Monday, they would not allow smoking on the property any longer; and since I'm a "smoker," I rode the bike to the entrance, and stopped just outside, to have a cigarette.

I shut the bike off, had my "smoke," and then turned the key. Nada! Just a light "click" was all I heard.

"Ok, stay calm," I told myself. I know the bike to have a good battery; I know the bike has gas; I know the mechanical soundness of the bike. I suspected it was electrical.

I tried the key and starter switch a few more times; still "Nada."

Since I was just outside the entrance, and the bike was parked in a safe place, I locked the forks and walked into work; went to my office, and called the Insurance company (I pay for "Towing" as part of my Insurance).

"No problem," the Insurance Agent said. "We'll have a flatbed there in 45 minutes and get you home."

The Flatbed showed up on time, and the driver and I drove it home. I took the wife's car back in for the remainder of the day.

After work, I thru the bike up on the lift, pulled the seats, and side covers, and checked the battery connections.......yep.......both terminals connected.

Next I checked all the fuses in the box, and the Main Fuse. All were fine.

Went back to the battery, and before I put the cover over it, I decided to take a Philips to the two Terminal screws.

Positive terminal screw was tight............Negative was just ever so slightly loose. So I tightened it up real good.

Just for the heck of it, I turned the key...............LIGHTS!!
So I tried the Starter button.........bike ROARED to life!!

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
All it takes is for a terminal connector to be a little loose. It's the first thing I would check for an electrical-related problem.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Soupy i was just gonna ask if anyone hearr from you. Havent seen you on in the past week. Was getting worried. Glad your bike is doing better. Should make your boss feel guilty making you leave for a smoke. His fault the cable loosened up!!!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
On cars it's ALWAYS loose or corroded battery terminals. Even if you can't SEE the corrosion, sometimes it's between the terminal and the post and invisible unless you take the terminal off.

I'll bet 15% of the batteries that get replaced....simply weren't charging because of corroded terminals. Makes the alternator work that much harder too, trying to shove electrons through gray lead oxide/green copper oxide.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There was a point a the beginning of the story where I thought it would end with you had the kickstand down and the bike was in 1st.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad SOMEBODY "missed" me Zippy! Thanks for that!

Epiphany? Huh???

Father-in-law is not doing well (he's 87) lately, so my wife went down there to be with him til Wednesday of next week. Things have been a little hectic around here lately.

I find myself leary about riding the bike to work now, after this most recent incident. Without the wife at home as "back up" I feel a bit vulnerable I guess.

Probably will take it for a ride on Saturday or Sunday, but will have to see. Need some time to get lost in the woods (on purpose) to practice my Compass skills, in preparation for my upcoming Hunting Trip at the start of November.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
:)

"An epiphany (from the ancient Greek ἐπιφάνεια, epiphaneia, "manifestation, striking appearance") is an experience of sudden and striking realization. Generally the term is used to describe scientific breakthrough, religious or philosophical discoveries, but it can apply in any situation in which an enlightening realization allows a problem or situation to be understood from a new and deeper perspective."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts