Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Harley Softail Deuce and am having some issues with my turn signals.

1) While parked and checking my signals, they operate fine, but my instrument panel doesn't relate that information.

2) When rolling on my throttle the turn signals stop working.

The wiring seems fine but not being an electrician I cannot be 100% on that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Is yours an EFI or carburetor?

Do you have any added accessories such as LED's or Run-Turn-Brake modules or anything?

If it's an EFI bike the first thing to do is check for any trouble codes.

The next thing to do, on either bike, is to charge the battery and do a charging system check. You're looking for excessive or deficient voltage when revving the engine.

If you don't find anything there you're going to have to start tracing circuits looking for a short to ground or a voltage drop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No EFI, it's a carb.

I do have a set of LED's under the tank.

Looks like I'll be getting out the ole multi-meter and running some tests.

I'm guessing the volt drops will help in fixing the no turn signals while rolling on the throttle, any idea on why my signal display doesn't show when my signals are active?

Thanks for the help and pushing me in the direction to get this working.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Does nothing on the display work when the signals are on, such as no tach or speedo or anything? Or do you mean just the dash indicator lights for the turn signals aren't working?

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
Just to throw it out there a couple of times had weird problems like this was traced to a defective bulb .. Although affected everything ..

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
It could indeed be a bad bulb.

Diagnosing electrical problem vie the Internet is often an exercise in frustration, but maybe we'll get lucky. Let me make sure I'm understanding what's going on: With the bike idling, the turn signals work. When you roll on the throttle, they stop working, but at no point do the dash indicator lights for the turn signals work, correct? Okay, and when you say they stop working, you mean there is no light and no flashing, just dark bulbs, yes?

Here's what I would do first: With the ignition on, the run switch on, but the engine not running, turn on the turn signals. Then see if rolling the throttle without the engine running causes them to stop working. If it does, then you're likely to have a short in the wiring that's in the handgrip around the throttle. There's a lot going on crammed in that tiny little area.

If they work normally I'd then do a complete charging system check and make sure you're not getting an over / under voltage when the engine is running which is effecting the turn signal module.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts