Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 05 vtx 1300s. I installed some integrated turn led signal/mirrors on the front of the bike a couple of years ago . Im getting some rapid flashing only when the bike's motor is on from all turn signal lights. When just the battery is on (not running) , they work as they should. I tried reinstalling the original flasher and they flashed the same amount with the key in any position. Is this a bad flasher? Is there any way to test the flasher for sure? Its not a big deal since they are so cheap. But , this started happening after i took the headlight bucket off and was moving wires around so i dont know if i messed with a diode that i installed or something (to slow rate of leds down). If i should get a new flasher, how do i know what kind cause it doesnt have any writing on it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
just take what I say at face value...k
electronics are not (and I say this with system power in mind)
interchangable. The parts are, as long as they all add up to the same values as the stock oem values, but you have to remember that if you add something, you have to take it away from somewhere else.
standard LED bulbs(the old original kind) are figured to burn 1 amp each. when you take out a bulb that burns at 27watts, at 12v and replace it with one that burns at about 11watts at 12v(standard led) you are reducing the voltage use by 16watts. Thats alot of watts, and you can't makeup for the fact that the system is designed to deliver those watts. you can add resistance, and fake the watts, but you are taking the risk that the system in most motorcycles is a volts system and doesn't even consider amps in its operation.
so most guys add the resistors, because they want a custom system, a neat looking night ride, or just can't find the kind of bulb they want.
you should have gotten resistors with your mirrors. If they didn't have resistors with them, or they didn't have them built in, you are in for a chore figuring out how much resistance you need to add to make them work right.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Makes me want to go out and buy a bike that was built BEFORE computers, sensors or circuit boards!!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
So are you saying they were working correctly and have suddenly changed? yahmyxs has it right, you need to balance the load. When the bike is running the charging system is running so you are getting the maximum voltage your VTX can have. So your LED's are getting full voltage. Versus when it isn't running and just drawing off the battery. So if it suddenly started then you've lost that resistance it had somewhere. Whatever was "inline" needs replaced. That's usually a resistor or series of them. If you just noticed it, it's still the same problem but it needed the resistance along. I'd call the place you purchased them from and get their recommendation for the amount of resistance needed for you bike.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they were working correctly (for 2 years now) and just changed. I had diodes installed in the wiring cause i was using the integrated mirrors/signals as running lights too, no resistors. The only thing i could think it is is the flasher. Its just wierd that the the signal indicators flash faster ONLY when the motor is on. When its off, they work like they should. When i installed the original flasher, it blinks at the same rate (fast) whether the bike is on or off

So are you saying they were working correctly and have suddenly changed? yahmyxs has it right, you need to balance the load. When the bike is running the charging system is running so you are getting the maximum voltage your VTX can have. So your LED's are getting full voltage. Versus when it isn't running and just drawing off the battery. So if it suddenly started then you've lost that resistance it had somewhere. Whatever was "inline" needs replaced. That's usually a resistor or series of them. If you just noticed it, it's still the same problem but it needed the resistance along. I'd call the place you purchased them from and get their recommendation for the amount of resistance needed for you bike.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I had diodes installed in the wiring cause i was using the integrated mirrors/signals as running lights too, no resistors
OK, need more detail on where and how diodes were added, as they may be the source of the problem. Just adding LEDs in parallel with the stock flashers shouldn't change the flash rate much, since they draw so little power, but adding some kind of diode circuit could be diverting current in a way that the flasher is seeing a much higher load; combined with the fact that the system voltage rises about 1.5V could push it past the edge where it flashes faster. So, can you post a drawing of how these diodes are wired in?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything i did is at this link

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthr...do-display-after-instal-of-integrated-mirrors

OK, need more detail on where and how diodes were added, as they may be the source of the problem. Just adding LEDs in parallel with the stock flashers shouldn't change the flash rate much, since they draw so little power, but adding some kind of diode circuit could be diverting current in a way that the flasher is seeing a much higher load; combined with the fact that the system voltage rises about 1.5V could push it past the edge where it flashes faster. So, can you post a drawing of how these diodes are wired in?

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Hope the door doesn't slam to hard as I leave. Over my head now.:D I think you'll get the help you need now though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I tested the two pins on the flasher. Should there be continuity? Cause there isn't. nevermind the original doesnt have it either

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
OK, I see what you should have. When the turn switch is on, the flasher expects to see two bulb filaments, but sees the rear filament and the much lighter load of the LED. Flasher relays vary, but many modern ones flash faster when they detect this condition, to indicate a bulb out. Some flash slower, or not at all, when a bulb is out. Flashers are voltage sensitive, so appearing almost normal when the battery voltage is lower is often the case, though not always. You need to get a new flasher, one that says for LED and regular bulbs on the package, since you still have the regular bulbs in the rear.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont have regular bulbs in the rear.Maybe i should have mentioned that I Installed an LED integrated tailight too. This one :
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=174257&d=1401342409

I also ordered a new flasher, this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361330222524

Hopefully that will do it.

OK, I see what you should have. When the turn switch is on, the flasher expects to see two bulb filaments, but sees the rear filament and the much lighter load of the LED. Flasher relays vary, but many modern ones flash faster when they detect this condition, to indicate a bulb out. Some flash slower, or not at all, when a bulb is out. Flashers are voltage sensitive, so appearing almost normal when the battery voltage is lower is often the case, though not always. You need to get a new flasher, one that says for LED and regular bulbs on the package, since you still have the regular bulbs in the rear.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last night I did use a multimeter to check the voltage . I put the probes inside the connector of the flasher and knocked one of the pins out. Im thinking it might have been loose cause I reinstalled the pin and now everything seems to be working. Ill watch it and post back if i have more problems. thanks for all the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts