Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I am going to be a new rider starting in December and I am just saving til then. I have been trying to figure out which bikes I like. So far I am really like the Cbr600 and almost any of the cbr bikes. I want to know if a cbr600 would be too much for a new rider? I have experience riding with dirt bikes and I know its not completely the same but it's not too crazy different either. I don't really want to buy a small bike like the cbr125r just so I can out grow it within a couple months. That is why I've been looking at the 600's because it sounds like they are good for everything. I am also really interested in the bobbers and street fighter bikes I really like the looks. Any information you guys give will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...l live in Seattle :)

I also have a ton of riding experience in the dirt, but hadn't ridden in the street in like 20 years. I looked at many different bikes, but ultimately decided that buying less bike now would allow me to become a better rider down the road. I bought an SV650 and it is plenty of bike to start with. It is just my opinion, a 600cc 4 cylinder sport bike is too much for an inexperienced street rider.

Someone told me, and l think it is great advice, that this is your first bike, not your last. You are way better off buying a good used bike, riding it for a year, and then buying the bike of your dreams. Good luck my friend :)

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
Skip the supersports. If you want the supersport look, there are many sport bike choices 650cc and under that would be okay for a new rider. Generally twins have better power characteristics than fours for beginners. Although, some fours are tuned more for torque than all out horsepower. If you're buying new, the 2014 CBR650F might be a good choice. Four cylinder tuned for torque and much more forgiving of newbie inputs than a CBR600RR. However, unless you have lots of money to burn or don't car about dropping a new bike, I'd recommend a used "naked" bike like a Suzuki SV650. Less plastic to break and cheaper insurance.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The advice to buy a standard without all that tupperware is good advice. I dropped my own heavily faired bike a few months ago and the repair bill was out of this world. If you drop a standard you may need to replace something like a shifter or brake pedal but the bill is probably going to be under 100 bucks. After I paid my $500 deductible the insurance still had to come up with 6k on mine, and almost all of that was for plastic panels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does sound like that may be a bit much for me. I think my new goal is to get the Honda cbr250r band new from the dealer because it is only $2000 and looks beautiful. Is there anything wrong with this bike that I should know of? Honda is usually pretty reliable right?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
It does sound like that may be a bit much for me. I think my new goal is to get the Honda cbr250r band new from the dealer because it is only $2000 and looks beautiful.
Unfortunately, they are not being straight with you. If they told you the price is $2000, they are probably going to tack on at least $1500 in fake fees.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh okay. I've found a 2013 one for 1600 on craigslist. It sounds like craigslist is the way to go then?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think only you knows best as to what suits your abilities and riding style. My 1st bike was a Yamaha 750 . It had enough power to suit me at the time. I ride a GoldWing GX1800 now and am very comfortable on it. There is a 30 year time span between the 2, and I did have other bikes in between. Find what suits your budget, skills, and enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I started riding 6 years ago. My first bike was a ninja500. Great starter bike and very forgiving. . The new 300 looks sporty and I'm sure you may not grow out of it as fast as you think. Best thing I did as a new rider. Any super sport would have been to much and hindered my growth as a safe careful rider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wrote the post wrong the bike is a 150r . My friend just let me ride his 700 sport bike and it was scary but not very uncomfortable. I didn't feel like it was as crazy as I thought it would be and I really liked the weight of it. I think my final decision is to get some type of 600

·
Registered
89 Posts
You are all over the place on bikes... You don't know what you want. Do I think a 600cc super sport is a good choice for a first bike... No! Those bikes develop revs and power so quickly things can go very wrong very fast, and you as a new rider lack the experience and skills to correct for that... I think the real question you have to ask yourself is this... Am I buying a bike for my own riding enjoyment, or to impress others? Once you can answer that honestly your choice will be much easier.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Just to add some to what l shared before...l looked at bikes all Summer before buying one. Partly because l needed to figure out my finances, and partly because l wanted to really be sure of what l wanted to buy. In the end l made a list of what was important to me. It looked something like this...

*Sport/Sport-touring
*Bright color/high viz
*Under 450 pounds
*Reasonable power/under 100 HP
*Upright seating position
*Big 4 maker
*Good mileage
*Clean/not wrecked/low mileage
*Under $3000

I also made a promise to myself that l would not buy the first bike l looked at no matter how much l liked it. In the end, l had it narrowed down to either an SV650, a Ninja 650, or an EX500. I rode an EX500 and it would have been okay, but was a little small for me, and not very powerful. I was worried that l would get bored with it. The SV650 l found met every criteria on my list except for one...the seating position. I plan on putting handlebar risers on it.

I guess my point is...l believe that my planning really paid off. I spent a lot of time looking at bikes on Craigslist, but that's okay...to me, that's half the fun of it! I learned a lot about different bikes along the way, and plenty about myself, too. I wish you well on your search.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just to add some to what l shared before...l looked at bikes all Summer before buying one. Partly because l needed to figure out my finances, and partly because l wanted to really be sure of what l wanted to buy. In the end l made a list of what was important to me. It looked something like this...

*Sport/Sport-touring
*Bright color/high viz
*Under 450 pounds
*Reasonable power/under 100 HP
*Upright seating position
*Big 4 maker
*Good mileage
*Clean/not wrecked/low mileage
*Under $3000

I also made a promise to myself that l would not buy the first bike l looked at no matter how much l liked it. In the end, l had it narrowed down to either an SV650, a Ninja 650, or an EX500. I rode an EX500 and it would have been okay, but was a little small for me, and not very powerful. I was worried that l would get bored with it. The SV650 l found met every criteria on my list except for one...the seating position. I plan on putting handlebar risers on it.

I guess my point is...l believe that my planning really paid off. I spent a lot of time looking at bikes on Craigslist, but that's okay...to me, that's half the fun of it! I learned a lot about different bikes along the way, and plenty about myself, too. I wish you well on your search.
That's a heck of a list for under $3000 -- you obviously put serious effort into it, Hawk.
You ended up with a cool looking bike -- some bikes just look right in a particular color.
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I think l got a pretty good deal. It's only a 2004, but it only had 5000 miles and had never been crashed. It had two previous owners, and both were women. We all know that women take better care of their toys than men do :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts