Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent today fitting a double helmet trunk box to my bike. The Boulevard M50 has a non-standard bolt hole dimension (800 mm against the 8 1/2 inch bolt hole centres on the C50). So I had to get custom made mounting plates cut out of 6 mm marine aluminium, they arrived last night so I spent today bolting everything together.

The wrap around backrest gives my wife a much greater feeling of security when she's pillioning. And I haven't noticed any adverse weight or windage effects either, so I'm pretty happy with the arrangement. I've got saddlebags to fit yet, but that's something for another day.

Attachments

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Spent today fitting a double helmet trunk box to my bike. The Boulevard M50 has a non-standard bolt hole dimension (800 mm against the 8 1/2 inch bolt hole centres on the C50). So I had to get custom made mounting plates cut out of 6 mm marine aluminium, they arrived last night so I spent today bolting everything together.

The wrap around backrest gives my wife a much greater feeling of security when she's pillioning. And I haven't noticed any adverse weight or windage effects either, so I'm pretty happy with the arrangement. I've got saddlebags to fit yet, but that's something for another day.
That looks rather familiar...:icon_cool:

Which one is that? Is it the Chinese copy or the other one that costs like 3 times the Chinese one?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hardstreet bags would match it well. The brackets are made to fit on any bike. You can get them painted, or paint them yourself(cheapest).

·
8,577 Posts
That really looks swell and sturdy too:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I don't have that version, but one approx. the same size. Many wrinkle their nose at it, but it makes my bike useful. Surprising just how much can be carried in a trunk like that. ;)

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Well ya got to have someplace to carry your beer.:D

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's the Chinese box (TMR?), but bought ex the U.S.A. because the freight is cheaper for me ex the States. Cost $45 off eBay.

Really bought it for the padded backrest for my wife, it makes her feel so much more secure with the wrap around backrest. It does only hold one large helmet, but probably has the extra room to take a jacket as well, but won't fit our two full face/modular helmets. But there's lots of room for storage, and I have a set of leather saddlebags that I have yet to fit on the mounting plates. but that's a job for another day.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
It's the Chinese box (TMR?), but bought ex the U.S.A. because the freight is cheaper for me ex the States. Cost $45 off eBay.

Really bought it for the padded backrest for my wife, it makes her feel so much more secure with the wrap around backrest. It does only hold one large helmet, but probably has the extra room to take a jacket as well, but won't fit our two full face/modular helmets. But there's lots of room for storage, and I have a set of leather saddlebags that I have yet to fit on the mounting plates. but that's a job for another day.
Ah, ok I have the same one I think...

It's known for carrying a hefty chemical smell from I think the plastic used.. I was/am considering laminating parts of the inside with either fiber glass or carbon fiber to firm up the box and eliminate the smell... Does it flex at all with a passenger resting on it?

How's the latch on yours, mine is a bit loose, this latch was known to have some issues.. There is supposed to be an almost identical (but much better) latch that might have came with the more expensive non chinese one... I'd love to find one of those..

I really like the carrying capacity, makes life much easier and holds an amazing amount of stuff although I wouldn't try putting beer in in unless you want to leave a trail of foam all the way home.... (Foam Home)

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Be careful with your wife back there Steve. If it's the one I'm thinking of it's ABS plastic.And that stuff is brittle so her leaning back on it might break the anchor points if you just have bolts, washers and nuts. If you haven't done so, I'd find a thin sheet of metal that would cover the whole bottom on the inside to mount to. Something that would act like one large washer. Then she could lean back and take any bump or acceleration you throw at her.:thumbsup: 4 smaller anchor points will work but the question is for how long with weight put on them.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Glad I wasn't the only one. Just figured I did something else wrong again.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
^^make that 3^^

1 - 20 of 29 Posts