We cuss the truckers sometimes but if you get to see them parked
instead of fighting their wake of wind, you might see some great
paint jobs. So if you spot one, put a photo of it here. Here's one to
get started.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My little 185 taught me more about drafting and wind than any bike I ever had since. But some don't get it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,461 Posts
Back in the early 80's I was being transferred from SC to MD. I had a VW diesel Pickup. In the back I had a Hondo CB550, on the trailer hitch a Apache popup camper (heavy built in the early 60's) My top speed was 55 foot on the floor blowing black smoke the entire time. I warned all the trucks coming up behind me that I was wide open and they needed to go around.

One of them took pity on me and after he passed he got on the radio and told me he was slowing down a bit and for me to come up and tuck into his wake. He said he would let me know what was going on with traffic. All the way through NC I stay tucked in behind him around 65 or so, wasn't until we got a was into VA and traffic got heavier that we broke that seal.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know there are still a few gear jammers today that will still do that for you but I'm sure the numbers are much lower. At least from what I see here the numbers must surely be lower. When I finally got my first Harley I put a CB on it and comparing then with the very few today with CB's, there just seems to be a different breed of driver out there. Well, especially here. I can't speak the language they use now. Every now and then I can pick up gringo or something that sounds like that.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
I followed a long row of big rigs down I 5 years ago. They were doing about 75 and more, in fog, but not too thick. I let the truck in front of me know I was there, by pulling out as if to pass, and turning on my center fog light. Then pulled in behind. Did that every so often. Center fog light was standard equipment on my 53 Bentley. Sold it to help pay for the big house my ex wanted.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tule fog in central California can be very thick on the deck but truckers are often able to see over the top. Having a CB when I lived out there came in real handy. Every trucker I tucked in behind appreciate me turning off my headlights leaving just fog lights or parking lights on depending on the vehicle I was on or in.

·
Mod/Motorcyclist/ Trucker/ Deplorable
1,249 Posts
I wish today people (truckers/Pickup/cars/motorcycles even) would not just cruise around with those LED light bars on and/or their high beams. I don't drive at night anymore because of that. Those LEDs are just painful even not looking at them directly.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know there’s graphics there somewhere.
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 2.08.57 PM.png

Reactions: blulew and bpe

·
Registered
777 Posts
Like Critter, my riding partner and I would tuck in behind a truck (with his permission) and enjoy a nice, easy ride. It's so calm in that little pocket, we could lite up a cigarette, sit back and enjoy it. Having our radios helped the three of us pass the time. Things were different back in the late 60's and 70's. Drivers back then thought of their jobs as a profession not a 'lifestyle'. During my 45 years of professional driving, I stuck to the rules, and tried to be a true 'Knight of the Road'. These days? I won't get within 500 feet of most trucks. I just don't trust these new drivers.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
T
Things were different back in the late 60's and 70's. Drivers back then thought of their jobs as a profession not a 'lifestyle'. During my 45 years of professional driving, I stuck to the rules, and tried to be a true 'Knight of the Road'. These days? I won't get within 500 feet of most trucks. I just don't trust these new drivers.
That is so true. Back then truckers for the most part were the absolute best drivers on the road. They were the epitome of professionalism.

I started to see changes in the 70’s and big changes in the 80’s. Power steering and automatics came about in those decades I think. Maybe it 80’s then 90’s. It’s been too many years for my pea brain to remember exactly when the changes started but you could see the skill level and professional way of driving or attitude on the road. Was this maybe when those driving schools started? Or was it just the general change in everyone?

It just seems like there was a trigger that started the change to be just as arrogant as the 4 wheelers. But that makes them extremely dangerous because of the weight factor. When I got certified to engineer the fire equipment as a volunteer, I had extensive training with many hours on the road. Very few volunteers received certification. So what happened?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think many factors compounded things to change. Population increase, congestion, traffic, truck deadlines, and the most important (IMO at least) was the deregulation of the trucking industry. ANYBODY that could hold a steering wheel was qualified to be a truck driver. Two weeks of driver training at an approved school and you were turned lose. Hog, I rode second seat for a year, rarely driving while an 'old hand' taught me the ropes. When I did drive, it was on the 'big road' until my boss felt it was time to move up to say....two lane roads. Most important though, was being taught how to give way to the cars and trucks around me, watch traffic patterns, weather, going up hill and down. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the idea. You just can't learn that stuff in two weeks.

I'm so glad I'm retired!

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

Wow! And I foolishly thought this thread was about paint jobs on trucks. Silly me. :oops:

--

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
--

Wow! And I foolishly thought this thread was about paint jobs on trucks. Silly me. :oops:

--
Yeah, I was hoping others had pictures of trucks they saw on the road too. I've seen others but fining them is a pain. I've not learned to always upload giving names so everything has stupid numbers that means nothing to me. So whenI see one from another source but that have seen personally I used it here. But I'm still wading thru my stash. But like all threads Ron, they grow their own life and die if you try to steer them. I'd rather a life with posts than to die.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,461 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A0E07DD0-77AE-49D6-8F76-FD607AD5DE9F.jpeg
EE794234-E660-49CF-8997-9B69431D417E.jpeg
CCB4E486-D2C2-4F53-BAC4-F89203EC6863.jpeg

I took these pictures at a rather recent veteran’s birthday at the nursing facility he was staying. Darned if I can remember how old he was or is. Far as I know he is still kicking.

Reactions: blulew

·
Mod/Motorcyclist/ Trucker/ Deplorable
1,249 Posts
I been hanging out at home working on the Bimmer. Might get some tomorrow will be in a travel plaza more than likely...

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder just how many miles this old gal has seen...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts