Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is my very first post ever in any sort of forum, so I have no expectations other than I will certainly find a way to do something wrong. :)

I have a problem with my '02 Shadow Spirit that I thought I had licked, but disappointedly discovered otherwise. I took my son to school a week ago and when I got back home I discovered a oil running down the casing surrounding the final drive. There was a missing piece on the top so I assumed my son had kicked something or his backpack strap had pulled something off. upon investigation I discovered there is a missing chrome breather cap on top of the final drive casing and much of the oil had blown out.

So I trudged down to the parts house and put in an order and voila, 5 days later I have my part and some hypoid final drive oil. So I notice that there are no threads on this cap so I try to hand tighten it in the hole....So I try to push it down in the hole.....so I lightly tap it with a hammer over a towel....so I whack it with the same hammer.....and its on!!!It doesn't seem to want to come off in my hand. Everything looks happy. i refill the final drive up tot he lip off the filler plug hole and reseal the plug.

So in my absurd assumption that I have fixed my problem I take a nice short ride to church and back. to my surprise and utter frustration the final drive oil is all over my rear tire and down the final drive and up the drive shaft casing. this time since it is all new oil it just drips off. So....any ideas what I did wrong? Thanks.....

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
How full are you supposed to fill the final drive? Based on my experience with cage auto trannys - if you over fill it will vent out and make a mess and oftentimes be too low after it's 'vented its anger'...Maybe this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts