Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some help. I just got back from a ride tonight and something happened when I was on my way back. At a stoplight, I had trouble going from 2nd gear to 1st. The trouble was that I pressed the shifter all the way down, but it only went to N, no further. As I continued home, I found that the motorcycle also had trouble going from 1st to 2nd gear when I pressed the shifter all the way up. Between 1st and 2nd, the transmssion stops at N. Even when I try hitting the shifter again, it doesn't move into 1st or 2nd for 1-3 times before it finally shifts. The motorcycle is a 2013 Honda CB1100 still under warranty. I has 1,700 miles on it. The clutch fluid/brake fluid was normal. I also checked the shifter and it seemed fine, not loose or anything. I couldn't check the engine oil because it was still hot and hadn't settled. What do you suggest I do?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Still under warrantee you say? Take it to the dealer

·
8,599 Posts
Take it to the Dealer and don't take it back until it's perfect.

It may have a bent 'shifting fork' or the 'return spring' may have become loose.

If it didn't have a hydraulic clutch, I'd suggest that there is too much 'free play' in the clutch cable, not allowing the clutch plates to fully separate when the clutch lever is pulled in.

If you know how to 'shift without the clutch,' try that and see if it works.

You haven't abused the bike have you? 2nd gear is the first to be ruined when a bike is 'speed shifted' at high rpm's all the time.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Trouble shifting

Take a look and make sure the shifter isn't loose on the shaft, stripped splines, whatever.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I sometimes have a problem shifting between gears, but it's always because my boot heel is pressed slightly against the back part of the shifter bar. I cut the back prong off since my boots were too tightly squeezed in the space on the floorboard. I still occasionally press my heel on the side of the bar and then it won't move enough to get into the gear.

Operator error.:p

--

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Occasionally ( once or twice a week), at traffic lights, I'll find I can't change down from second to first, it just stays in neutral. But if I let the clutch lever out, and then bring it in again, I can get it to change down from neutral and engage first.

But as the others say, get it back to the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts