Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just bought a new x-pro x20 150cc scooter from Amazon, I knew there'd be maintenance involved but I was really hoping I could gas it up and and fire it up but after filling the gas tank with the 93 octane gas the manual recommended, it only fired up for about 10 seconds at a time idling and would always die if I tried to open the throttle even a little bit. I made a youtube video detailing the issue I'm having. If you don't mind checking it out, any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
lol your video starts and stops on me, we're looking for the fuel pump, it will likely be vacuum operated, I think I seen it once there

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, The manual is not very complete, it's like 20 or pages I attached the only kind of diagram type information in the manual, which is also like the only place that might have information on this problem because reading the manual i have no idea if there's a fuel pump, auto choke, it looks like it has an auto choke, it's hard for me to tell
Handwriting Font Material property Parallel Paper
Handwriting Font Material property Book Paper

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
As I say the video breaks up so pardon if you covered it, but too much or too little engine oil level could be an issue if it has a sensor for oil level.

The vacuum lines off the intake manifold won't be related to a fuel pump, trace the large rubber hose from the fuel filter away from the carburetor back towards the fuel tank, you are looking for something that has a vacuum hose that comes off the crankcase, or valve cover and intersects that fuel line, or at least I hope so.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
at least it is nice and clean to work on, but when you buy motorcycles from China you should always order two at a time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's true, it is nice and clean at least :) unfortunately buying 2 for reference was not an option. For the price of this thing though I'm not shocked that I'm having issues, still pretty disappointing. I plugged the fuel filter back up and gave it another try to see if it would suck some fuel through but the filter is now bone dry. It must have some kind of pump that's not working... right? I tried to call the only number i have for the company that sold it through Amazon a bunch of times but so far no luck.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I think that small grey line coming off the valve cover goes to a vacuum fuel pump that likely is not working, in theory if you took that off and blew into it and then sucked on it repeatedly that would pump a little bit of fuel if it was working. It will be like a pulse pump, one vacuum line, one fuel line in, one fuel line out, and maybe a smaller vent pipe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any idea what the "enricher" might be? nothing else on that wire diagram seems like it could be a fuel pump.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
That's like a choke, it's for cold starts, but instead of a choke that blocks off air it actually opens a fuel circuit that bypasses most of the carburetor and dumps a little raw fuel into the intake manifold.

It won't do much if fuel is not getting to the carburetor, it draws from the carburetor float bowl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that small grey line coming off the valve cover goes to a vacuum fuel pump that likely is not working, in theory if you took that off and blew into it and then sucked on it repeatedly that would pump a little bit of fuel if it was working. It will be like a pulse pump, one vacuum line, one fuel line in, one fuel line out, and maybe a smaller vent pipe.
yeah, I think you're right, thanks. hopefully an electrical connection just came loose from that thing, I'll have to poke around in there a bit... when you say valve cover are you referring to the thing with the 2 hose connections in the 3rd picture up top? Frankly i dont know what I'm looking at there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
May or may not have one but is any tank petcock open if needed?
-that circle connection piece in the video that the tank connects to looks like it could have a valve on it, but it doesn't I'm pretty sure. When i initially added gas it did go through a little, now nothing is going through

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think i found the problem. That thing I was thinking was a pump has no electrical connections, so I guess the fuel is pulled through some other way... all I know is this doesn't really look right.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm thinking shorten that tube up so it fits better, does that sound like a good idea? underneath those 2 clamps is a hard plastic piece in the tube, I think that was supposed to prevent the bend crimping there, I might try moving that around first.

·
American Legion Rider
26,715 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Steering part Automotive exhaust

That sure looks like your problem whether that's a fuel line or vacuum it's restricted. Since there is a connection there, I'd just unhook it and run the line under that bundle of other wires rather than over as they are now. There may be a zip-tie in there too. My only concern then is how much damage did you do screwing around with the carb. And you better put the battery on a maintainer or in some way get the battery fully charged again before you go much further. Low battery brings it's own problems.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Kinks and sharp bends in hoses could be a problem, but a larger pipe like that which is not reinforced will not carry fuel, I think you are looking at a breather vent pipe and yes that needs to be addressed.
The fuel pump I suspect would be on a scoot like this is not electric powered so no wires, it should have 2 fuel lines, those will be made from thicker rubber then the vent pipes and there will be an arrow imprinted on it to indicate the direction for the flow of fuel. Your crankcase is the bottom of the engine, the valve cover is at the opposite end and above the spark plug. The valve cover and the crankcase share the same air volume and the pressure in that volume changes slightly from low to high every time the piston goes up and down. It's that pressure change that the vacuum fuel pump uses to push fuel towards the carburetor.

Google up "fuel pump x-pro x20 150cc scooter" and you will see a picture of what it should look like. You're looking for about a 12$ part and no real surprise if you have one that is dead on arrival, I've had the same part fail on a lawn tractor right from new, although my engine was made in India, which is just about as bad as made in China.

·
American Legion Rider
26,715 Posts
I admit that line sure doesn’t look like fuel line but you should see the sorry excuse for a fuel line on my Kubota tractor, so nothing would surprise me.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
The fuel lines have lots of white writing on them and the fuel pump is likely just barely out of sight and behind that left side panel, it only needs a fuel pump because the fuel tank is not mounted high enough on the bike to use gravity feed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts