Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It looks like Harley will have to switch their bike designs.
It's the high-end designs that are not selling ... NO big surprise.
They are very pricey.

All the high-end manufacturers have struggled, or bit the dust.
Look at Big Dog. Great bikes - but the company is gone.

dT

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think I have read that same story about 20 times over the years, all they do is change the name of the competitors. Only name that stays the same is Harley.

Most of the time right after they write it Indian motor company goes under again. :biggrin:

And I am not even a die hard. But the motor company is going nowhere anytime soon.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thread was created in Jest... All in fun. :p

Only poking the sleeping bears (HD fans) with a stick to see if they move........... :biggrin:

·
7,783 Posts
Not a word in there about "Your Polaris" doing anything.:confused:

Woe is me, the sky is falling: "Is there no help for the Widow's Son?":wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
He went from a Spyder to a Slingshot....
I got good money that this is his next bike. Any takers?

(shots fired)

·
7,783 Posts
I think all of us are just having fun here.:p

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
An old Indian could tempt me away from my Harley, but I am easily tempted! :p
I remember when I first bought that Shadow ACE I had, and when I posted pics of it on Facebook, my demoness [BLEEP] from Hell-in-law replied, "YOU GOT AN INDIAN?!?! YOU GOT A [BLEEP]ING INDIAN?!?!"

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I think I have read that same story about 20 times over the years, all they do is change the name of the competitors. Only name that stays the same is Harley.

Most of the time right after they write it Indian motor company goes under again. :biggrin:

And I am not even a die hard. But the motor company is going nowhere anytime soon.
Yeah, that pretty much covers it.

I've read so many times that Harley needs to do this, needs to do that, or they're not going to remain viable. :::Yawn!::: And yet they're still the largest selling motorcycle company in the USA, and have been making motorcycles longer than any other company in the world.

But on a different note, when I was in the local snow mobile dealer here the other day, I noticed that for used bikes they had at least 2 metric bikes for every Harley, and they had a lot of both. I asked the guy if all of them were trade-ins and he said most of the metrics were, and some of the Harley trikes, but the two Triumphs and and the rest of the Harley's were bought at auction. That kind of surprised me.

C

·
0 Posts
Yeah, that pretty much covers it.

I've read so many times that Harley needs to do this, needs to do that, or they're not going to remain viable. :::Yawn!::: And yet they're still the largest selling motorcycle company in the USA, and have been making motorcycles longer than any other company in the world.
Yea, true to some extent but not the world. As much as I like you and your views on things this something I do not agree on. As much as I like Harleys, the company, and what they stand for they will never out sell Honda. It is just the way things are. Please do not make me post more then this.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
From the Article cited: ".... The company now expects to ship a maximum of 281,000 motorcycles for the year, down from earlier projections of 287,000..............."

Let's see..........let's average the price; say $20K (is that a fair "average?") then multiply it by 6,000 less bike sales......that's
$120 Million Dollars in projected losses. Not a SMALL amount of chump change.

In a Corporation as fluid as HD however, I'll bet it is insignificant.

Besides, it is only a calculated projection, if I read that right.

Should competitors continue to undercut, by keeping their prices lower and their product more enticing. You bet! If they want a strong piece of the pie, they have to make a "better" mousetrap for a more reasonable price.

Indian and Victory, I believe, have been doing that more aggressively than the other manufacturers out there, including my beloved Honda brand.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
Indian is having growing pains that may leave them with a lasting sour taste to some. I do believe they've had an impact this year on Harley's bottom line but will they continue is highly questionable. Victory will never compete to the level that will cause Harley any concern. And the only reason Honda out sells Harley is they have smaller bikes for true beginners and cater to short distance riding customers. IMHO

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Hog says, "...........the only reason Honda out sells Harley is they have smaller bikes for true beginners and cater to short distance riding customers."

I'd differ with that, only with regard to the Goldwings, which are not "small" and are not typically designed or used for "short distance riding."

-soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
Hog says, "...........the only reason Honda out sells Harley is they have smaller bikes for true beginners and cater to short distance riding customers."

I'd differ with that, only with regard to the Goldwings, which are not "small" and are not typically designed or used for "short distance riding."

-soupy
Yes, they have one distance and large bike. So you're suggesting that's why they are selling more bikes? One bike? Really? I stand by my statement thank you very much but you can have yours too.:p

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Average for their touring line of bikes, not their entire offering. Harley sells bikes from about $7k and up.
It's been "my" observation that most "new" bikes in the showrooms, are not going to allow you out the door, having spent only $7K. I was attempting to find a reasonable average between the low end (the $7K) and the high end (somewhere in the neighborhood of $30K?).

$20K may be a bit high.....perhaps $18K? That still is a good amount of money that HD is projecting loss on.

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 73 Posts