Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Triumph has done well getting into the Market with a nice variety of choices ..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a 180 HP, 2500cc motor, this thing should be called Brutus. The new Diavel has 162 HP.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,119 Posts
I like the more traditional look of my past 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster. I'm not much into that naked/ missing rear fender look.

The Rocket 3 is about absolutely effortless Horsepower, torque and ease of use. It's a cuddlie Teddy Bear when ridden with a mode of decorum but when opened up, it hauls the Oats.

Sam:grin:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: 122178

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
I like the more traditional look of my past 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster. I'm not much into that naked/ missing rear fender look.
Sam:grin:
I agree. That bike, with all that power, looks useless for actual riding.
No place for saddlebags or luggage. Every bit of dirt on the road thrown
all up the back of your clothes.
That bike is for going bar to bar.
The earlier Rocket 3 was beautiful.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. That bike, with all that power, looks useless for actual riding.
No place for saddlebags or luggage. Every bit of dirt on the road thrown
all up the back of your clothes.
That bike is for going bar to bar.
The earlier Rocket 3 was beautiful.
Triumph is now marketing to the younger generation, and even middle aged guys going through their mid life crises and joining the hipster crowd. For the past few years, Triumph has been turning the dealerships into boutique stores, I've seen this first hand at Tampa Triumph, even the middle aged guys trying to look like hipsters. I'm also on their email list that advertise what they're doing. They are catering to that hipster crowd with lounge areas with leather sofa's and recliners, offering custom cappuccino's and frappe lattes, local custom brews from the local micro breweries and even vaping areas. They sell hipster clothing and riding gear, they organize rides catering to the young and hipster crowd. Triumph has discontinued many of the bikes that cater to the older generation, their touring Triumph Trophy SE and the Thunderbird traditional cruiser and now a new Rocket that has no appeal to most of the older crowd. Even their retro line of the Bonnevilles and Speedmaster's are being marketed to the younger crowd and the hipster market. Those bikes still appeal to the older generation too.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I wonder how far it can go with the ever increasing engine size. I am old enough to remember when a 450cc bike was considered "big", and easily enough for a planned cross country road trip. When the Goldwing went from 1200 to 1500 c's some said that this was a ridiculously large engine for a two wheeled bike. At 2500 it would seem to be reaching the outer limits of what can be done, at least until bikes have self stabilizing gyroscopic suspension to hold all that weight up and not require a weight lifter to handle the bike. When I think that my first car had a 1300cc engine and that was enough (barely) to keep up Interstate speed at the time, with two adults and a full load of luggage. But just like the folks that buy a S&W 500, the 50 caliber revolver, so that they can say they own the biggest caliber handgun made, some will want this new Rocket just to say that they ride the biggest engine on two wheels.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
I wonder how far it can go with the ever increasing engine size. I am old enough to remember when a 450cc bike was considered "big", and easily enough for a planned cross country road trip. When the Goldwing went from 1200 to 1500 c's some said that this was a ridiculously large engine for a two wheeled bike. At 2500 it would seem to be reaching the outer limits of what can be done, at least until bikes have self stabilizing gyroscopic suspension to hold all that weight up and not require a weight lifter to handle the bike. When I think that my first car had a 1300cc engine and that was enough (barely) to keep up Interstate speed at the time, with two adults and a full load of luggage. But just like the folks that buy a S&W 500, the 50 caliber revolver, so that they can say they own the biggest caliber handgun made, some will want this new Rocket just to say that they ride the biggest engine on two wheels.

LOL!! Vito, I've owned several cars over the years that had smaller engines than my 1500 Goldwing. 2500 ccs sounds ridiculous.....but it would be fun to own one!!!
And yes, a 450 was a BIG bike! I remember when I upgraded to a new CB-350 Honda in 1970. I thought it was great to finally own a big bike that could go places. And go places I did. I racked up 20,000 miles on that BIG bike in no time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts