Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am struggling with a question that I hope I can get some input on here. I am about to buy my first bike, and have recently completed the MSF Basic Rider course and received my endorsement on my DL.

I know that conventional wisdom dictates a smaller bike, but I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2015 Triumph Thunderbird Storm ABS from a dealer for $10,000. I love this bike and am afraid I won't see another chance like this.

Would I be ill-advised to go this route, or if I am extremely careful can I grow into this bike?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Hello,

I am struggling with a question that I hope I can get some input on here. I am about to buy my first bike, and have recently completed the MSF Basic Rider course and received my endorsement on my DL.

I know that conventional wisdom dictates a smaller bike, but I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2015 Triumph Thunderbird Storm ABS from a dealer for $10,000. I love this bike and am afraid I won't see another chance like this.

Would I be ill-advised to go this route, or if I am extremely careful can I grow into this bike?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!
Welcome from rainy Seattle!!!! This is my opinion, and take it for what it's worth.

I would not buy a new bike for a starter. Consider these two scenarios:

1) You buy the new T-Bird for $10k, actually $12k out the door. During your first year, it depreciates down to $8000. Additionally, you drop it a couple times, further lowering the value to $6500. Net loss: $5500

2) You buy a used T-Bird for $4000. You ride it for a year and drop it a couple times. At the end of the year it is worth $3000. Net loss: $1000

In the last scenario, you essentially rented the bike for a year to learn on for $1000. In the first scenario, the amount of money you lost would pay for the bike from scenario #2 outright, including all your gear.

Additionally, and more importantly, you will not ride freely on that nice shiny new bike because you will be worried about dropping it. I believe this stunts your growth as a rider. Starting with too powerful of a bike does the same thing. I did the latter. Personally I think you are better off with a used bike that has a few bumps and bruises but is in good riding condition. Another scratch here or there won't hurt anything but your pride. A lot of people follow this train of thought. Learn to ride on your first bike and then buy your dream ride. Plus bikes aren't selling like they once were...that new bike may very well still be for sale next spring.

Oh, and one last thing...that thought in your head..."I won't drop it"....everyone drops their first bike. I dropped mine in a dark parking lot in the pouring down rain. There was an oil patch next to the bike and I stepped in the oil when dismounting...down went my Honda Sabre. A friend saw it and I was embarrassed. But it didn't hurt the value of the bike at all. It had been dropped before.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Yup, it does happen, dropped the Sporty1200 parked in back yard, soft ground, made the foolish error of having it
headed towards the shed too close to fence and would have to back it up, soft ground had a lot of resistance, lost
balance and over it went, all 550 pounds, did not break anything and no one saw it, in my haste to get her upside,
forgot to put her in gear, got he up an she rolled, then went over on other side. So I never dropped a bike riding,
but getting ready to ride. . .flat out sucks but it can happen and if you drop and can't get to shift into gear, use a
shoelace to tie up front brake.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Yup, it does happen, dropped the Sporty1200 parked in back yard, soft ground, made the foolish error of having it
headed towards the shed too close to fence and would have to back it up, soft ground had a lot of resistance, lost
balance and over it went, all 550 pounds, did not break anything and no one saw it, in my haste to get her upside,
forgot to put her in gear, got he up an she rolled, then went over on other side. So I never dropped a bike riding,
but getting ready to ride. . .flat out sucks but it can happen and if you drop and can't get to shift into gear, use a
shoelace to tie up front brake.
Yep, those are the kind of little things you learn from experience. We try, we fail, we say "Don't do that again" and we know better now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight and experience. I was actually shopping for used bikes when I ran across the deal for the Triumph (BTW it is $10000 drive out!). But after sleeping on it I think that you are absolutely right about starting on a too-powerful bike...I would be afraid to explore it's limits for fear of damaging it (and/or myself!).

BTW, I forgot to mention that I am 6' tall, 270lbs. Any suggestions for a first bike so that I don't look like a circus clown on a mini-bike?

Again, thanks for your input.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
I am a Minority I'm Sure but I always say If love the Ride you want First Bike or not .. Go For It .. I survived on my 1969 XLCH which was my Dream Ride with no MSF or any other type training except a few Dirt Bikes and my Fathers Indian Chief, which he told me if I dropped it , don't bother coming back home .. :) If it Matters, back then was 145 lbs soaking wet and still managed to kick start that beast without any problems except cold mornings , and then could have weighed 300 and wouldn't have mattered ..

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Thanks for the insight and experience. I was actually shopping for used bikes when I ran across the deal for the Triumph (BTW it is $10000 drive out!). But after sleeping on it I think that you are absolutely right about starting on a too-powerful bike...I would be afraid to explore it's limits for fear of damaging it (and/or myself!).

BTW, I forgot to mention that I am 6' tall, 270lbs. Any suggestions for a first bike so that I don't look like a circus clown on a mini-bike?

Again, thanks for your input.
Well, l am 6'3" and 270. l just bought a 2006 Triumph Scrambler, and l love it. l am an experienced rider but just getting back on the horse, it's a great bike, and l think it would be a good starter bike for anyone tall enough to ride it. You can pick up used Bonnevilles for $3000 to $4000. Bonnesvilles, Scramblers and Thruxtons all use the same frame/engine platform, and there are more Bonnevilles than the other two by far. Right now used bikes are starting to flood Craigslist because the end of the riding season is coming.

Where do you live G? (See what l did there?)

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I am a Minority I'm Sure but I always say If love the Ride you want First Bike or not .. Go For It .. I survived on my 1969 XLCH which was my Dream Ride with no MSF or any other type training except a few Dirt Bikes and my Fathers Indian Chief, which he told me if I dropped it , don't bother coming back home .. :) If it Matters, back then was 145 lbs soaking wet and still managed to kick start that beast without any problems except cold mornings , and then could have weighed 300 and wouldn't have mattered ..
Yeah, well, you're a badass Joe, even if you are a Florida fan. GO DAWGS!!!!! (And I don't mean the fake ones from Jawja)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Yeah, well, you're a badass Joe, even if you are a Florida fan. GO DAWGS!!!!! (And I don't mean the fake ones from Jawja)

Long Story with the name Gator Joe , But Just for the Record, Die Hard Seminole Fan Here .. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
The Thunderbird Storm is a nice bike, especially the 1700cc version:grin:

The price is fantastic and if you take it easy during the learning process AFTER you take and pass a certified safety course, I'm sure you will be very happy.:grin:

As big as you are (A compliment because I am much bigger) you need a larger bike to be comfortable and why go through the added cost and trouble to start small first.:wink2:

My last Triumph was a 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster:surprise:

And by the way, not EVERYONE drops their first bike--that's a bunch of bull!:smile:

Have fun and be extremely careful.:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
That price is so good and that bike is absolutely gorgeous. If you're afraid of dropping/crashing it, you could pick up a cheap beater bike to learn on and play with the 1700ccs of fury on the weekends. :D

That's sorta what I do with my Blast and my Rebel. I'm still a fresh rider, licensed in June and have traveled about 1,000 miles. The Blast is in immaculate condition and I'm so afraid of hurting it, so I only ride it on the weekends and daily a Honda Rebel instead. Surprise, all of my almost-spills to date (my favourite was accidentally downshifting too fast in the rain and pulling a pretty epic drift/skid) have happened on the Rebel...of course, the sum of my bikes aren't even close to that beauty. I'd say do it, but please please don't out-ride your skill! ♥

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
The Thunderbird Storm is a nice bike, especially the 1700cc version:grin:

The price is fantastic and if you take it easy during the learning process AFTER you take and pass a certified safety course, I'm sure you will be very happy.:grin:

As big as you are (A compliment because I am much bigger) you need a larger bike to be comfortable and why go through the added cost and trouble to start small first.:wink2:

My last Triumph was a 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster:surprise:

And by the way, not EVERYONE drops their first bike--that's a bunch of bull!:smile:

Have fun and be extremely careful.:wink2:

Oh hogwash!!!!! Okay, maybe some, but not many ;) Did you drop yours Sam?

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Didn't name my Ride Osceola being a Gator Fan if want the rest of the Story Short Version, my Grandfather was 1/2 Seminole ..

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Oh hogwash!!!!! Okay, maybe some, but not many ;) Did you drop yours Sam?
55 years of riding and 85 motorcycles and I never dropped a bike except at a total standstill like when my sidestand sunk into warm asphalt, once in Moro Bay in 1981, on my NEW Yamaha XS1100, once on my BMW K1200LTC in a friends driveway that had been recently repaved with asphalt and once about 3 years ago when I dropped my Triumph Rocket 3 at a complete stop when my left foot slipped on pea sized gravel:surprise:

Never when in motion on a road have I had an accident--Thank you JESUS:angel:

The reason I am looking at 3 wheel trikes is because the area in which I live constantly has pea gravel, sand and ash at lots of intersections, left over from snow and ice abatement and never, ever swept or cleaned up at all:surprise:

It cost just as much to replace that shiny faux chrome on a used and abused 10 year old Japadavidson or Harley as it does on a new one:smile_big:

Buy new if you can afford it and get the assurance of a WARRANTY.:smile_big:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
You got some splaining to do...no Seminole fan would ever call himself "Gator Joe" haha
It's probably mostly in the rest of the country that the word "Gator" first brings to mind a college team. Here it brings to mind an actual gator, or someone who has been around them. For example, if you were visiting and walking along beside a pond and I were to suddenly shout, "Gator!" Don't think of a college rivalry come-back. Just jump and run as fast as you can.

And the Seminoles live among the gators. Hunted them, used them for food and materials and so forth. In fact, one of the other famous Seminole warchiefs (Tustenuggee) was named Halpatter. Say it a few times fast and you can almost hear the name translate: Alligator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts