Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

So, I've been wanting to buy a new bike for a while now. And I can't decide between the Triumph Speed Twin or the Yamaha XSR 900.
I previously owned a Harley Sportster 48, a Street Bob and a Ducati Monster 821. And I absolutely love everything they had to offer. Now my struggle is that the XSR is $5000 cheaper, but I would definitely need to spend some money to change a few things; Exhaust, mirrors, etc. While the Speed Twin, comes ready with all the high end stuff. I know the Yamaha will have really cheap spare parts, but might need attention. While Triumph brags about low maintenance. I rode both and as much as I love the riding position, style and power of the XSR. I am not sure I like that it doesn't have strong engine braking power. Which is understandable, knowing it's an undercover sports bike. The Speed Twin has that engine braking power which is the way I always rode. Am I being really silly?

I'm someone that rides everyday. To work, for fun, for no reason and every reason. Long rides, short rides and anything that could be used as an excuse to get on a motorbike.

Thoughts?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,486 Posts
Looks like you ared trying to talk yourself into the Yamaha. Take a deep breath and get the one you want.

Reactions: Porky

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Looks like you ared trying to talk yourself into the Yamaha. Take a deep breath and get the one you want.
Really, I read it like he's trying to talk himself into the Triumph. :) :) :)

And by the way...
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I really love both bikes. And I would buy both if I could.

My wife says get the Yamaha now and the Triumph later. But, I'm unable to make that decision.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
You must be a newly wed. Anyone that's been married awhile knows you have to keep the wife happy. ;) ;) ;)

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
So why isn't one of those bikes painted bright yellow to go along with her Mini and Morgan?

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I've had a couple of Triumphs and loved them, but they don't match the reliability of the Japanese bikes. When I got rid of my last Triumph it was giving me trouble with downshifting after long rides at high speed, and the mechanics could never figure out what was causing the problem. That wouldn't stop me from getting another Triumph, except now the nearest Triumph dealer, only 30 miles away, just folded up shop. If I was buying now, I would likely stick with the more reliable Japanese brands where having a dealer nearby was not as critical. But that's just me, in part because I don't do any of my own work on the bikes that I own.

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
So why isn't one of those bikes painted bright yellow to go along with her Mini and Morgan?
You got me thinking which one I could paint yellow. The Triumph will remain British Racing Green. But note the common theme. Mini Morgan Triumph, all British. Bluzu stays blue, the grey XS1100 stays original grey, the Trail 90 came in two colours, orange and yellow. Mine is orange but could change. The MNS, midnight special will be all black with gold accents.

Vito. What generation was your Triumph, old factory, or new? Huge difference is quality. The newer bikes are pretty darn good.
UK

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Both my Triumphs were "new". I had a 2011 America which didn't give me much problems, but the fuel injector never worked right and had to be replaced, and then I had a 2013 Thunderbird with the earlier mentioned downshifting problem. Before the downshifting problem, I had a slight oil leak from the crankcase that no amount of tightening would fix, so the dealer ended up having Triumph replace half the case due to slightly off machining. Once that was solved I had a couple of years of trouble free riding until the downshifting problem, which really was a hassle. Normally the bike would shift up and down easily, but after about 30 minutes of more of riding, shifting down from 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, or and 2nd to 1st was a problem. No amount of gentle coaxing, or hard shifting seemed to work when the problem showed itself, but other times, including when the dealer tried to work on it, things seemed fine. The dealer experienced the problem himself once, but when taking things apart to find the problem, everything appeared normal. Finally, I decided this was a good time to finally buy the Goldwing that I had been thinking about for a few years.

I've related this before on the forum, but when I decided I was going to get a touring bike, I took a demo ride on several brand new bikes, starting with a BMW K1600, which I liked. Then a Victory Cross Country Tour, which I definitely did not like. Then a Harley Ultra Low, which I liked a lot. And finally, a Goldwing. Literally after 30 seconds on the Goldwing I said to myself that this is the bike that I want. I took my wife as a passenger on all of these bikes, other than the Victory which I had decided on my solo ride was not in consideration, and she instantly said that she preferred the Goldwing, so it was an easy decision for me at that point. In the almost four years that I have owned this bike, with 23,000 miles so far, I have never had even the most minor mechanical or other issue with the Goldwing. I did have a small problem with the stock tires, but I replaced them at 12,000 miles and then again at 22,000 and have been fine with what I have.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, if the difference in price really is $5000, that's a lot of money. I think I would just learn to use the brakes more and not depend on engine braking. Triumph may brag about their reliability, but the Japanese bikes are hard to beat in this category.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
23,000 miles so far, I have never had even the most minor mechanical or other issue with the Goldwing. I did have a small problem with the stock tires, but I replaced them at 12,000 miles and then again at 22,000
Is my math all fritz up again but those tire replacements seem to add up to 34k not 23k, I’m confused as usual. ? ? ?

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
When the OD meter read 12000 the tars were replaced. When the OD got to 22000 they were replaced again. 12K on the first set, 10K on the second set, and 1K on the current set.
Always here to help. UK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts