Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a warm non snowy day, took the 2017 Triumph 1200 Explorer out for a ride. Not a half mile from the house all three lights come one. Found out later my son rode it a couple of weeks before just to keep everything lubed and it gave him the same errors, but he forgot to tell me. Said not to ride, check manual. So I took it back to the garage. Shut off the bike off and restarted it. Same malfunction lights were on. Left it running, when back to the house to get the manual. Looked it up in the manual and basically it said take to Triumph. This took about 20 minutes. Went back and to shut it off, and I noticed I had a condensation spot on the right headlight lens. I reached down to wipe it off and found it wasn't a condensation spot but that the lens was melting, soft to the touch.
Has anyone ever had this or any of the other problems????

Took to the dealer, and talked to them yesterday, the advised they ran the codes and it showed low voltage. Has anyone ever heard of this does this sound right???

Forgot to mention, dealer is advising that I had to have the lens covered, which it wasn't for the lens to melt?

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Pure guess but it sounds like that lens(or whatever is behind that lens) has a short which is why it is getting hot enough to melt and that in turn is what is robbing the voltage that the ECU sees as low voltage. Worthless dealer if that's all they suggested. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pure guess but it sounds like that lens(or whatever is behind that lens) has a short which is why it is getting hot enough to melt and that in turn is what is robbing the voltage that the ECU sees as low voltage. Worthless dealer if that's all they suggested. That's just my opinion.
This is the second time I have had some type of ECM problem with the bike, first time the dealer took 6 weeks to fix it, Keep saying they were talking with Triumph Manufacturing to get answers, now this. I LOVE, the bike but thinking I my have gotten a dud. Warranty is up in a month, might need to trade it for something else.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Do happen to have enough documentation to get something done using the lemon law? At this point you may as well ride it out until you have a bike you trust. Then sell or trade it. Maybe the dealer you are working with will cut you a good deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts