Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to remove the speedometer from my 2002 V Star 1100 but took careful notes and several pictures of where each wire was connected and each light bulb went. After putting it all back together everything is working - the lights are in the right place and come on/off appropriately, the speedometer works, the tripmeter works etc. The only abnormality I've noticed is that when I remove the key, the tripmeter is reset to zero and the display is set back to the main odometer (it usually comes back to the tripmeter if that was the display when I turned the key off). Just turning the key off doesn't do it; this happens only when the key is removed.

Any thoughts? Since I don't have a gas gauge, the tripmeter was the best way for me to know when it was time to fill up.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Is it the actual removal of the key or will it do it if you just wiggle the key? The thinking being a connection shorting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it the actual removal of the key or will it do it if you just wiggle the key? The thinking being a connection shorting.
I think just pulling the key out slightly will reset the tripmeter. Just turning it off definitely does not; it has to be at least partially pulled out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has to be in the switch, somehow causing the cluster to lose power momentarily.
So the tripmemter should have an "always on" connection? That I could understand, but I don't see how pulling the key out would interfere with that; turning it off would make sense, but that's not the problem. Also, I didn't touch the ignition switch; all I did was disconnect all of the wires from the back of the odometer.

And before someone asks, yes, I now know that the other end of all of those wires are two plugs and it would have been much easier to just unplug those, rather than disconnect everything. I'm not sure why I didn't check that before I got started; just brain freeze, I guess.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
A switch can go bad without warning. If it was working before you disconnected everything, then I would go back and make sure everything is back where it should be first. Pulling the key out may move the tumblers enough to open the battery circuit. Not likely without other problems.

The tripmeter has to have power at all times to retain memory, the odometer has an internal memory that doesn't need constant power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tripmeter has to have power at all times to retain memory, the odometer has an internal memory that doesn't need constant power.
Any idea on where I could get a wiring diagram for the speedometer so I could identify which wire should be always on? That would give me a good starting point.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Well if you never touched the switch then the problem must be with what you disconnected and reconnected. You said you took notes and photos so I'd check and recheck that. Got to be a reversed pair of wires. Like looking at the wires straight on but when you flip them over they are now reversed physical yet should be the other way. One of those DUH moments when you spot it.

·
Ace Tuner
2,936 Posts
Why pulling the key out makes it act up is be beyond me. :confused: Unless (?) the Ign switch went bad when you touched it, could happen you know.
You can check the Ign switch with an ohm meter. Resistance more than .2 ohm's is considered to be bad. Wiggle the key while checking it.

Could something have happened to the "meter control switch"?
Try checking the connections to it and make sure the button 'feels' OK. Also, take a close look at the rubber around the button.
I don't remember ever having one of those completely apart so.......

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
All of this electronic crap is great...until it stops working. Then just TRY to fix it!
What ever happened to good oldfashioned mechanical trip meters where you just twist the knob to reset it?
Hope you get it figured out.

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
It's not just electrical...the mechanical tripometer on my bike worked great till I took it apart to work on the wiring, and then somehow lost the .000001mm super fine thread phillips head screw that goes 2 inches down inside the knob and holds it on. I rode around for a week with the knob in my pocket so I could reset it when I got gas, there was no easy way to get in there to measure it so I kept hoping I'd find it. I never did..but luckily my wife rides the same bike so I carefully took hers apart and while closely watching that screw so it didn't escape went to the hardware store and matched it up and bought a couple.
Electrical or mechanical, I can always manage to screw anything up :)

All of this electronic crap is great...until it stops working. Then just TRY to fix it!
What ever happened to good oldfashioned mechanical trip meters where you just twist the knob to reset it?
Hope you get it figured out.

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
You must have a GOOD hardware store if they had that little screw. I know the screw you're talking about, and I know that the hardware stores near me wouldn't have anything like it.

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
I was astounded, but the local Ace hardware has a very impressive collection of tiny (and not so tiny) metric screws and bolts and they had it. I was figuring on ordering it from Mcmaster or someplace similar once I managed to measure it and figured I would just give the hardware store a shot first and they had it!

You must have a GOOD hardware store if they had that little screw. I know the screw you're talking about, and I know that the hardware stores near me wouldn't have anything like it.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Just curious... was the electronic trip meter an option or standard to the 1100's?

My 2003 650vstar has the mechanical trip meter, yet the OP's 2002 1100 has the electronic.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
We used to have a hardware store that carried anything. And I mean anything. The last time they sold a particular item might be 50 years ago but they have one. Now they just had to find it. Unfortunately Walmart happened. Ace hardware was already hear and somehow they stayed in business. But we can forget about having a store that would have what you want.

Those old REAL hardware stores were gems. So thanks to Walmart and idiot customers we lost a good one. Store had been in business since our town was started. No more. But oddly enough the owner of the Ace store just recently bought the old store and is in the process of bringing the building back.

The building is a time capsule. I was hoping he would move the Ace hardware to it but I just saw a liquor license application on the window so he has other ideas. I have no idea what he's up to. He's an odd guy to start with so who knows.

·
Ace Tuner
2,936 Posts
Walmart happened to our hardware stores too.
We had FIVE little hardware stores in our area. If the first place you went to didn't have it, they knew right where to send you.
I mean they stocked stuff, odd stuff that made the store very little profit but once in a while somebody needed it so they had it for you.
Walmart fixed that for us!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You don't have the speedometer cable all the way in,. properly and tight.

I know I know...
just take it off and re-do it. see what happens

1 - 19 of 19 Posts