Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1200 custom battery jumps fine with jump box untill I tried with a car it sparked at terminal then completely went back I took cable off and run light came back on. Now when I try with jump box it just bogs out and sounds like it won't crank definitely won't start

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have a 1200 custom battery jumps fine with jump box untill I tried with a car it sparked at terminal then completely went back I took cable off and run light came back on. Now when I try with jump box it just bogs out and sounds like it won't crank definitely won't start
If its cranking slow your jump box is probably low on battery.

Other than that maybe you blew some fuses somehow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The "car" battery wouldn't cause any harm, neither would a battery pack..or any bigger capacity battery for that matter, as long as is nominally '12VDC' and CONNECTED PROPERLY. The motorcycle would not know any different.

....but could be as Annihilator said, and your battery pack had it.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Was the car engine running at the time? If it was, your bike could have gotten a surge that damaged something.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,708 Posts

anytime you jump start anything that has a computer, place the posative to posative on both ends, the negative on both ends needs to go to a strong grounding point of the engine or frame. NOT ON THE BATT NEGATIVE...

this prevents any voltage spikes from back feeding the electrical system and possibly
blowing any computers or modules. (y)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
If you haven't already done it, clean all the electrical terminals and try again.

... and very disappointed the thread is not about cars jumping over motorcycles, that would have been spectacular.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
85 Posts
I thought I read somewhere once that as long as the car isn't running, it is ok to jump the bike. But if the car is running that is where you run into problems. I could be wrong on that, I just seem to remember that being the case.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
In one case you are just hooking up another battery in parallel, in the other you have the car trying to recharge the battery. Might even be ok if you left it charging like that for a while and then Disconnected the cables Before cranking up the motorcycle.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
I thought I read somewhere once that as long as the car isn't running, it is ok to jump the bike. But if the car is running that is where you run into problems. I could be wrong on that, I just seem to remember that being the case.
In one case you are just hooking up another battery in parallel, in the other you have the car trying to recharge the battery. Might even be ok if you left it charging like that for a while and then Disconnected the cables Before cranking up the motorcycle.
Yes to both.

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
Yes to both.
I've done both but I did them with some logical reason for my actions, 2 different scenarios.

1) Bike battery was weak but not dead..I turned off the car and jumped the bike, worked fine.
2) Bike battery was as dead as a door nail, 0 volts. I disconnected one lead of the bike battery, connected just the battery to a running car, gave it 15 minutes to charge. Disconnected the jumper cables, reconnected the battery, it was now not dead but still too low to start the bike. But now I jumped it with the car turned off, and it started and ran fine, and charged on the ride home. I don;t think this would have been the case had I just jumped a stone dead battery, past experience told me it died when the cables were disconnected.

Reactions: Trials

·
Registered
131 Posts
I for one never have car running but have used battery in car to jump a hundred bikes with no issues. Modern alts can charge over 100 amp, way too much for a bike battery.

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
I for one never have car running but have used battery in car to jump a hundred bikes with no issues. Modern alts can charge over 100 amp, way too much for a bike battery.
I agree but honestly I don’t think having the car running would hurt the bike battery even if it did take a big charge current for a little while , it’s the bike regulator that is really at risk, it would try to shunt that 100 amp current to ground and fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SemiFast

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
I agree but honestly I don’t think having the car running would hurt the bike battery even if it did take a big charge current for a little while , it’s the bike regulator that is really at risk, it would try to shunt that 100 amp current to ground and fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, the surge in current CAN damage a small battery; the high value of current can actually cause the plates to warp, and the sudden boiling of the fluid can cause damage to the spacers. Remember, you may be putting over 100A into a battery that should never see more than 5-10A.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes. If one bothers to read the battery paperwork instead of thinking they are smarter than the makers they will find almost always they post a max charging amp amount to use on that size battery, that is there for a reason. You ruin or greatly lower battery going radically over that number.

·
Ace Tuner
3,557 Posts
You're not talking about the Instructions are you? Men don't need no stinking instructions! That's girl stuff. :giggle:

S F

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your right I didn't even process that it was a new electric / motor smart car type. Like the hybrid that can switch between electric and motor power. The amperage would of been way to much 100 amps is almost as much as a small house. I think gonna start at fuses and hope for the best

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
Even a typical bike stator/ Alternator can and will charge 40 or 50 or more amps, some of them are even higher. I believe a Goldwing GL1800 depending on the year either has an 75, 85, or even 100 amp alternator (same as many cars) , and a standard motorcycle battery. I don't see a lot of fried Goldwing batteries, in fact if anything they have alternator problems, not battery ones. So I'm not convinced that a minute or 5 at a high rate of charge from a car alternator will do any serious damage to a motorcycle battery ( that's disconnected from the bike).
But as always...YMMV

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
But, you're not talking about using those bikes to jump a dead one while the source bike is running, are you? The regulators will limit the current to the on-board batteries, so they don't get shocked with current, by limiting the Voltage, but connecting a near-dead battery will cause an abrupt increase in current from the regulator, much more than the host battery will ever see, because of the sudden drop in system Voltage. Also, most of those Amperes are used to operate the rest of the bike, not to charge the battery. My Valkyrie has an alternator that will provide something like 65A, but that is NEVER sent through the battery, just what it needs to reach operating Voltage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
'...if anything they have alternator problems, not battery ones.'

And why do you think that is? The battery shows problems slower is why. They still can mess up, put a 14ah battery under 100 amps and see how long it lasts. It won't last long before it overheats which is only around 110-120 degrees on a battery before things start to happen. And commonly the way you wreck the battery is in overall shortened life, which you won't catch. So, easy to be flippant about something one is not looking for but is right there.

Do what you want, I used to see burned out stuff all the time due to people ignoring 'rules'. You'd be amazed to know the number of people that think it's OK to hook up battery backwards now, they screw up thousands in parts doing it.

I'd be careful with electric cars too, some use 480 volt setups and why the towtrucks refuse to move them sometimes, drivers have gotten killed hooking around a cable by accident.

Put an amp meter on your alt and even if 100 amp you will rarely see it ever go to halfway, they are commonly expected to use much less than the absolute rating.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts