Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so some of you that read my introduction post seen that I have a Trail 90. I bought this a few weeks ago from a kid that had no clue how to make it run. You can see from my first pic that it’s missing quite a few pieces, but it was complete enough to allow $250 to leave my wallet.

I didn’t make a get it running video or post a mess of pics about what work I have been doing, I just took a couple at various stages that I’m sharing with you now. As for the get it running process, it really wasn’t too bad. Here is the Reader’s Digest version.

First off it had compression using the finger test, good to go there, the engine isn’t seized and the valves work. Next was the spark. No joy without a battery. My research says it should so long as you short the + and - wires. Nope... so I check my coil, good, condenser...I think so, but I did notice that my coils wire is not happy. I trim 1/4” off the end and put a new spark plug cap on and try again. Nope... so I realize that if the rectifier is not working then shorting the battery wires won’t allow spark. Find 6v battery, make some jumpers and try again...ZAP! WOOHOO.

So now that I have spark let’s see if it will fire. Spray some ether into the carb, push the kick start down, and after 2 tries with only my arms it fired up!

Fuel system is next... carb was not bad, ordered a few gaskets, pilot jet and a petcock. The fuel tank and sub tank needed to get the rust cleaned out, so I poured some rust treatment into the tanks and let sit a few hours. Fast forward and a couple clean tanks later, new hoses and lets see what happens... kick, kick putt putt putt. It runs for the first time since 93 on its own fuel.

The test ride isn’t as good as the first parts. I get it in gear and the wheel spins. I put it on the ground and the engine dies. Can’t get it in neutral again. So I push it and it starts, I go for a little ride... little... I get 1/4 mile down the road and it stops. Something wrong with the clutch. I walk the bike back to the house.

So let’s see the clutch. I knew someone had been in there before, the bike was missing a few screws on the clutch cover, the foot pegs were gone as is the engine guard, all things that need to be removed to remove the cover. Inside is a mess... whoever was messing with this bike had no clue. The clutch nut wasn’t tight, the arm and Pac-Man looking thing were not even linked together. Ok so we need to check some stuff out. Removed clutch and noticed right away that I’m missing a spring. Inside the clutch I found a piece of a screw that had been drilled through. Good news, my disks and plates are ALL brand new. But they didn’t clean anything. Also whoever was in there didn’t know how to remove the clutch properly so there are scratches all over the main shell. So into the parts washer, and now good clean clutch.

And here we are today I got the horn to work, and the brake light now works. Turn signals not so much yet but I’m working on it. I still can’t ride it, I need to get some parts for the clutch but they are already on order from Rocky Mountain.

Enjoy the pics, comments are always welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
Sweet. A mellow yellow one. My trail 90 is a 65 CT200 push rod model. It needs a new piston and rings and gaskets.

UK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet. A mellow yellow one. My trail 90 is a 65 CT200 push rod model. It needs a new piston and rings and gaskets.

UK
I’m not sure about there, but here pistons and rings are fairly cheap for these little guys, pushrod or OHC. The possible machine work on the cylinder is a different story, but not break the bank. Rocky Mountain ATV/MC or DRATV should be able to ship to Canada.

·
On The Road Again!
2,729 Posts
For CT 90 parts, you need to check out the Doctor.
Dr. ATV that is.
Also known as Beatrice Cycle.

They have a LOT of stuff for these bikes.

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
I’m not sure about there, but here pistons and rings are fairly cheap for these little guys, pushrod or OHC. The possible machine work on the cylinder is a different story, but not break the bank. Rocky Mountain ATV/MC or DRATV should be able to ship to Canada.
If not to BC Canada, I have parts shipped to Blaine WA, which is just down the road from Shirley's place. There is a high speed lane for NEXUS card holders at the border. And cheaper ice cream at the dairy, and okay beer at the pub. All close together. Used to be a West Marine store, but it closed.
Sometimes we go a bit further and meet with friends in Bellingham.

UK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If not to BC Canada, I have parts shipped to Blaine WA, which is just down the road from Shirley's place. There is a high speed lane for NEXUS card holders at the border. And cheaper ice cream at the dairy, and okay beer at the pub. All close together. Used to be a West Marine store, but it closed.
Sometimes we go a bit further and meet with friends in Bellingham.

UK
Well if you keep heading down I5 you will be right in my backyard when you get to Lakewood. I was in Canada right at the border of Blaine/BC for a scouting event a few years back. It was a lot of fun and the only time I have been in another country.

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
Well if you keep heading down I5 you will be right in my backyard when you get to Lakewood. I was in Canada right at the border of Blaine/BC for a scouting event a few years back. It was a lot of fun and the only time I have been in another country.
I breeze past there on the way to the races at the Ridge. Problem is, the traffic is stop and go, even on the weekends, in the summer.
Next time I was thinking of heading down from Port Angeles.

UK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea traffic gets miserable near FT Lewis, all the way to Nisqually in the south, I don’t venture north too much, I’m not a fan of cities so Seattle isn’t a favorite destination. I do like Port Angeles, been there a few times, I grew up on the peninsula in a small town called Olalla.

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
I have not been over that bridge on 16 North West of Tacoma. My small sail boat used to be on Bainbridge.
Seattle has 14 lanes going nowhere. We used to blast thru there with no problems. No so bad going to Kent. Used to be SIR, now Pacific Raceway I think.

UK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to commute over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge before the second bridge was built, talk about a bottleneck! Now with 2 bridges traffic flows through there just fine. Like I said, I don’t venture north very often. I used to race at Bremerton Raceway, but never made it to SIR.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IT’S ALIVE!! Ok well it runs. Not great but well enough for now. When in gear it is really sluggish starting out but once you get moving 10 mph or more it’s ok. Took me a few to get the shifting right but it’s all good now. One issue though that I’m not sure as to the cause, when stopped in first the engine will run fine but suddenly pop and die. Then it’s hard to start again. Come to think of it, warm starts are harder than cold starts.

Here is what I know so far.
Fuel is fresh and good, but there is a bit of sediment still coming out of the tank. Prolly need to clean the filter a bit.
The points are good but arc every now and then which causes a miss. Thinking I may need a new condenser or just upgrade to electronic.
Clutch still acts a bit strange but seems to be getting better the more I ride.

And as always enjoy the pic, this is right after an 11 mile ride

Oh. P.S. The turn signals started to work! It also looks like the rectifier works too.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so as mentioned earlier, the bike misfires pretty bad and I believe it’s the condenser. Well I tried an experiment tonight... so this bike is a 6v single cylinder machine with points. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try a condenser from another 6v vehicle. So I picked a 53 Chevy truck which had a 6v 6cylinder engine. I had to change the plug, and since the truck’s condenser was physically bigger, it took a bit to get it wedged into the frame, but I finally found a happy place for it. I put the bike back together and a couple kicks later it fired right up and ran much better. No more miss but still not running perfect. I have found that the idle mixture screw does almost nothing, and the clutch seems to drag a bit too much when stopped. It’s getting better though.

·
On The Road Again!
2,729 Posts
On my '77, I converted it to run on a 6volt Volkswagen ignition coil.

Much easier starting and better running, probably because the VW coil puts out a hotter spark.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brand new pilot jet. And compressed air will go through the circuit just fine. And right now the air filter is missing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok little update here. I took the bike to the body shop I’m going to have paint it. They said $125 if I disassemble the bike!! Ok no problem, I pick out some colors and now I just need to take it apart. So the main color I picked was called Toxic Orange... for those who don‘t know that’s a Dodge Hellcat color, it’s a bright orange pearl, and that is going to be accented with a medium metallic grey from Honda.

I’m excited to get this painted. The shop doing the work is a school, and the instructor teaching was my auto body instructor when I was in school.

No pics now, I will prolly take some as I disassemble the bike.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,634 Posts
Sounds like it should look great. At least pictures when it is done.

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
I should mention that most of the Trail 90s are orange with a bit of grey. The mellow yellow units are more rare. So, do you go with the flow, or go mellow yellow. Mine is orange.

Some form of irony, that Honda would paint one of its most successful bikes, such ugly colours.

UK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The yellow ones are all over near me. Prolly the most common color with the factory orange being the rarest near me. My color choice is an homage to the original orange color scheme only a bit more flash. Don’t worry pictures will flow when I get to work on the bike. Right now I’m off to build a XR80R out of spare parts I have laying around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts