Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got the new tags for my first (pre-dropped) beginner bike. After getting the tags on, I went for a nice ride in the country, puttering along at the 30 mph speed limit.

Sure enough some yuppie in a really big SUV caught up to me from behind on a straight stretch, getting almost within smacking distance of my tail as I started around a modest downhill curve. At the bottom of the hill was a really sharp turn across a narrow one lane bridge. I didn't want her on my tail as I slowed to negotiate the turn, so I flashed my brake lights, though it was to no avail.

To make matters worse, a dog took notice of me and was headed my way. Thus in a matter of seconds I had five things on my mind, speed, curve, traction (on wood, and possibly road gravel), tailgater, and dog.

Apparently that wasn't enough stuff to deal with. Another SUV started across the bridge from the other side, and stopped on the bridge (probably because of the dog in the road). I started looking for my way out, and found none. A fence was on one side of the road and a guard rail on the other. Continuing to flash my brakes, I was actually able to slow down a little.

At that point the dog didn't seem too much of a problem compared to the other obstacles. As it ran towards me, the second SUV creeped forward off the bridge just in time for me to squeak behind it onto the bridge. The tailgater finally did back off, though probably for the other car more than me. It was enough for me to brake and maintain control through the curve.

I credit the MSF course I took for teaching me how to look out for and react to bad situations, at least for the early stages of this event, and that may have been enough once my instincts took over to get me through it without incident.

(The tailgater never did catch up to me again. Since I didn't hear any crashing sounds behind me, I assume the other SUV was big enough to warrant her braking. She probably had to go backwards all the way up the hill because the road was too narrow for the two SUV's to pass each other.)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Nice work! Happy to hear you negotiated the dangerous situation without a wreck.

Did you have to swerve around the dog at all or did it just makes it's way out of your path of travel?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortunately the dog got distracted by the SUV coming across the bridge, and turned his back on me. I adjusted my course without an actual swerve.

·
Registered
277 Posts
way to keep your cool and SEE ;) I also had to credit the MSF course last week. I was following someone to a remote country location on a bumpy country road with gravel here and there when 2 BIG dogs sitting on the side of the road stood up and postured to charge me from the side as I approached. I thought for sure if I was able to miss the first, the second would get to me, but I slowed considerably for the first dog successfully throwing off his timing and he ran right in front of me and then twisted my right hand hard right after to successfully leave the second one behind me. Looking in my mirrors, they both stood in the road looking confused as hell... :) Dogs, deer and slippery surfaces scare me.

·
Underpaid
1,711 Posts
Dogs:

If they are running out to see you, you just have to slow down and get around them. If they are running to attack you, slow down and maintain that speed. If they are still a long ways away (from a house or something) speed up a shade. Dogs judge how fast a target is moving and the direction, pick an interception point, and run towards that point (usually). If you change your speed, they will miss you or get there late.

That's usually worked for me, but not always. If it doesn't look like the kind of dog that will tear your leg off, slow way down and go around it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts