Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of bag or luggage do you use on a trip of about three days of riding? Packing for just me. I am planing an weekend trip starting on Friday and home on Sunday.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I have a small leather travel bag (like a carry on) that I used back when I drove over the road....I don't travel much anymore, especially on the bike...but if I did, I'm pretty sure that bag would fit in my saddlebag....if not, it will fit on the backrest with the net over it....if you don't have one of these, just go cheap...a plastic bag will hold clothes, and I think there are still laundry mats around....from your profile pic it looks like you have saddlebags....you could just fill a couple of plastic grocery bags with your clothes, and take a few extra for the dirty clothes

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I use one saddle bag for clothes and personal items, and the other for a tool roll, rain gear, and that sort of stuff. I used to use an old army Alice pack strapped over the rear fender for more clothes. Recently I was given a black nylon cheapie bag that's about 12" x 12" x 20" and I strap that over the rear fender. This will give me about a 2+ week range if I do laundry once, and gives me a little extra room for snacks or small souvenirs or whatever.

I sprayed the nylon bag with Scotchguard, and that almost waterproofed it, but in a hard rain at highway speeds water still gets blown through the front of the bag material, so I started putting most things in big zip lock freezer bags.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A short hop like that I would just pack one saddlebag loosely. Figure 3 days means a spare pair of pants and 3 sets of underwear, shirts and socks. Add in things like a toothbrush, my pills, vitamins if you use them. I always have my rain gear and tools in one of the bags so I hardly even use the other one on a short trip. Those minimal clothes will fit into the unused part of my saddlebag. One thing I find essential even on a short trip is shoes to walk around in at the end of the day. My riding boots are just fine on the road but I like light weight shoes after I check into a room.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
but in a hard rain at highway speeds water still gets blown through the front of the bag material, so I started putting most things in big zip lock freezer bags.
yeah I forgot about that....Ziploc bags are almost essential for that reason alone.....and you can fit almost anything in them....

as an aside, my family took a trip back when I was about 7 or so with friends....friend and I rode with our mom's in the Blazer, dad's rode their bikes (going from Kansas City MO to St. Louis to spend the day at Six Flags).....we hit a nice little rain shower....lasted about 45 min., I can still remember laughing as our dads sat in a laundry mat in nothing but underwear and a towel while drying the rest of the clothes in a big dryer :coffeescreen:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
........... and the other for a tool roll..............
Which begs the question.........

I took MOST of my tool kit OUT of my bike, (and the manual) and only left the Shock Adjuster Wrench and a couple of Allen Wrenches for the more important Cap Screws that I want to monitor.

What's in YOUR "Tool Kit" that you deem "essential" to bring along???

-Soupy

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
My Victory tool kit consists of a combination 6mm allen wrench with a phillips screwdriver on the other end. If it takes more than that and a pair of pliers, I use the other tool, the cell phone.

I have cheap plastic saddlebags and a sissy bar bag, and a tank bag, good for up to a week without using anything other than a campground every couple nights for a shower.

Do carry a plug kit and a compressor just in case I pick up something in the tire.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
depends on what you are doing, and whether you are a light packer ... or you need a lot of clothes. If you are going to use saddlebags - get large ones. small saddlebags are more of a nuisance than a solution!

dT

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
I use the last version of these bags.

They can be pulled off the bike almost instantly leaving only a couple tethers with snaps on the frame. If you need more room you can add the top bag, which snaps to the sidebags. You can get a lot in them, and they are expandable if you need more space. Both the side bags and the top bag unzip outward to the side to give you about three inches more width. On longer trips I add a tail bag to my rear rack and a tank bag up front. I've used mine on two bikes for probably over ten thousand miles and they have been great. Only issue I've had is them rubbing on the shocks and getting worn there, but eventually I made up some guards to hold them off the shocks.

Cheers,

Mike

·
What?
865 Posts
A weekend, I took a backpack with some T-shirts, undies, a pair of pants, a pair of shorts, and my laptop. Then again, I was going to my parents house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts