Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all you Vespa owners...
How do you safely tie these down in a trailer without putting stress on the throttle?
My nephew has one, he and my son (Yamaha C50) want to get out together and cruise this summer. I can strap down my kids yammy easy enough (lots of open handle bar), but there is more riding here in the city for them. He lives far enough away, with highways and freeways between us, riding it to our place is not an option.
My BIL is a bit paranoid about strapping to the throttle, that's the only place open for a strap. He bought it from a neighbor (didn't work at the time) and just used the stand in a trailer to get it around the block.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Can you post a pic. I can visualize it, and am thinking about a strap around the fatter part, towards the steering head.
Usually a ratcheting or pull strap, each side of the steering head, to a spot about 18 inches either side of the front wheel works. The front wheel needs to be up against something solid. Rear straps are not needed, but some heavy bikes can bounce a bit at the back. So a strap to hold down the rear wheel works.

If need be, cross the straps at the steering head. Right hand side, around the back and down. Same for left hand.

UK

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
A strap around the plastic might break. A strap around the steel parts, under the grips would probably be the best. Maybe only 15 inches either side of the middle. Or cross them. A U shape bolt in the floor, just behind the front of the front wheel. The is how I carried bikes for many years in the pick up truck. Never held them down at the rear, until I got heavier bikes more recently.
I used to sell Vespa in the early seventies. Would like to have another one.

UK

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've seen a device that has two hollow handles that go over the grips. The two handles are attached to each other by a nylon strap/rope that extends past the grips to tie down to the floor of the trailer. Sorry but the name of the thing escapes me.

Found them! They're called Canyon Dancer Tie Down straps and Revzilla has them. I have no personal experience with them, but it seems as if they'd work for you. There are two versions.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/canyon-dancer-bar-harness-ii

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/canyon-dancer-bar-harness?rrec=true

ON EDIT: Looks as if there are several similar devices on Revzilla. One of them will probably work.

·
6,568 Posts
I have used what beemer dood suggested (above) for many years and they work fantastic.:smile_big:

Cut pieces of 1/2 inch, soft nylon or cotton rope is excellent to attach to any solid part of a scooter or motorcycle to provide super strong ways to tie things to the trailer.:smile:

I absolutely love the Vespa line of scooter's, especially the new 2020 300's:grin:

I must have spent a couple of hours last night watching YouTube videos about the new Vespas:wink2:

I have a Burgman 650 currently, it being my 4th one and all kinds of other scooters from 50's through MAXI but I always drool when I see a Vespa.:wink2:

Thanks for the nice pictures!:smile_big:

Below is a picture of my current B650 and my sold Kymco 500RI ABS maxi scooters:grin:

Sam:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Load the scooter in your pickup or on your trailer. Put the front wheel against a stop so that it cannot go forward with the handle bar turned all the way to the left. Anchor one end of a rachet strap on the right side, up to the left hand grip and down to an anchor point on the left side of the scooter. You'll have to tie it to the grip somehow so it won't slip.

If that rack on the back is solid enough, put a second rachet strap on it going to each side of the scooter and anchor each end further back than the rear of the scooter and tighten it up. In case of a sudden stop, that strap can help hold excessive force off the front wheel and fork assembly.

This may, or may not work. I don't know how stout the front end assembly is on a scooter. You would have to make that decision. On an open trailer I used to have, I would strap the front wheel to the front of the trailer. If you can do that, and only need straps to keep the scooter vertical, strap the front wheel down, then put a strap at an angle where it would cross the left grip and then tightened down. Another strap may not be needed for the back end of the scooter, but I'd rather have too many straps on it than not enough.

Anyhow this is what I would try to do.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
The suggestions I have made, are based on experience. I used to carry two bikes to the tracks, 12 to 16 times per year, over a number of years. Some trips were around 200 miles over the Cascade Mountains. As well, for many years I carried my moto cross, or off road bike to events.

I am concerned about the twisting of the forks if a bike is transported with the wheel hard over. It will also put pressure on the stop.
I have never tied the rear down on a light bike. I have done so with the 555 pound Yamahas in my trailer. The main reason tho, was the bike had to go in on an angle. The wheel straight in, with two tie down straps, has worked for hundreds of race bikes for many years. Ancra used to make the best straps. There are other cheaper ones available. I have two form about 1969.

UK

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I agree that having the front wheel straight in is the best, but looking at the photos of the scooter, and his concern about using the throttle grip as an anchor point, there's a lot of plastic and not too many places high up to anchor to.

As for a strap on the back, that's just me, I'd rather have too many than not enough, and if the front fork is turned, a strap or two on the rear could help absorb pressure exerted on the fork in an emergency stop. But straight ahead would be best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts