Motorcycle Forum banner

Translation Please?

3K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Unkle Krusty 
#1 ·
What's a "FLHTKSE CVO"

So far, all I think I know (dang those acronyms!) is that the "FLH" means Flat Head, which refers to the shape of the outer shell of the heads, right? "CVO" is a type of engine, but I don't know much at all about it.

-Soupy

#2 ·
FLH is shorthand for the touring models.

CVO means Custom Vehicle Operations. These are factory-customized limited edition motorcycles that generally have larger displacement engines, fancier paint jobs, and cost at least 50% more than the standard models. It's not uncommon for one to have a $10000 paint job alone.

#9 ·
They're more or less sequential and not acronyms. But over the years they've recycled letters and changed meanings as the bikes changed.

Originally "F" denoted bike frame size, then it meant rear wheel size with the "L" denoting equal sized front wheel and an "X" denoting un-equal sized wheel. That's still the actual case, but in common use you know that an "FL" is a touring bike, an "FX" is a cruiser style, and then the further descriptors which narrow it down. (And even I have to look a lot of those up.)

#13 ·
Acronyms

Tough business Soupy. I knew an FLH was a Harley.
Flat head is a side valve engine, OHV is an overhead valve engine, OHC is an overhead cam engine.
No one picked up on my reference to an F head engine. And after you work on the exhaust valves, you will come up with a different name for it.
Ford and Chrysler were still running flat heads up to about 1955.
Most of the different types of engines date back a long way, lets say between 1905 an 1925.
Kawasaki has a new 1000 cc bike with a blower on it.
WO Bentley put a blower on the 4.5 liter car in the 30s.
Chevy used OHV and hydraulic brakes in its 1920s 2 seater.
Some stuff goes a long way back.

Unkle Crusty*

#14 ·
This is why I have the upmost respect for Eye_M_No_Angel... I work on bikes 24/7, but they're mostly Jap bikes. Harley drives me nuts with their "designations"... They make no sense. I understand Dyna Glide, Wide Glide, Heritage Softtail, sportster, etc, but their "letter" designations elude me.

#16 ·
Rode one a couple of weeks ago at a Harley demo day. It was an Ultra Glide with the 110 engine, and all tricked out with extra farkles and bling. Blue and black two tone paint job with a flash between the two colours.

So the FLHTKSE CVO is the touring, Ultra Glide Special Edition by HD Custom Vehicle Operations. Nice bike to ride, bit heavy when stopped, torque for Africa though! But I'd be happy with just a simple FLHTK version, don't really need that 7 extra cubic inches.

#19 ·
It's all in what you're used to looking at.

The names are for the consumer and are where the marketing comes in, as in any brand. The average guy on the street will be proud to tell his friends he just scored a Heritage Springer Classic, with fuel injection. Sometimes I have to think a second about what bike has which name.

The model letters are a factory thing for the most part. Give me a repair order for an FLSTSCi and I know exactly what profile I'm looking for when I'm hunting for that bike to do a pre-delivery inspection. Seven letters tell me the same thing as 5 or so words do. Plus, if I need a part, the breakdowns always use letter designations. Saves space in the book and is more accurate.

Sometimes I have to look up a few letters in the longer designations when I need to get specific information, but that's not an issue in most cases.

#20 ·
I must be weird for sure. I had to ask on this site what the common name for my 85 FLHTCU was. I guess working in a major computer company for 30 years I was just used to letters, numbers and acronyms.

I never looked at the owners manual. Back then I just asked how many miles before I come back in and for what and gave them all my money. I didn't want to be bothered with maintenance. Retiring and operating a working ranch changed that a little.

#27 ·
I recognize that as the designation for an Electra Glide Ultra, but only because I owned a 2010 version.
I also drove a 2011 FLTRU, a Road Glide Ultra, for about 18 months. When it comes to HDs all I know is the ones I have owned. All others are obviously Hardleys from the looks of them but don't ask me which one.

#21 ·
Models

I took my 53 Bentley to the muffler shop for a patch on a pipe. Booked it in with the chief shop guy. He passed it to a mechanic guy saying " This guy has a classic for you to work on " When the guy was ready for me he asked " You the guy with the Rambler? "

Unkle Crusty*

#29 ·
Translation

With the polite season approaching, we must remember that it is:
Looking up your old aaaaaaaaaaddress.

And Sweet FA is Sweet Fannie Adams.

Just be careful using fanny with folks from the UK, NZ and OZZ.

Your motorcycle is not FUBAR, it failed to proceed.
That part is not NFG, it is not meeting its design specifications.

And randy is horny. Now you are all set for the holiday season.

Oh, and French Letters are prophilactics sp? / rubbers, and rubbers are erasers.

Now with a full puku ( one for Steve ) we can relax.

Unkle Crusty*

#31 ·
Now how do I do this for Eye?

With the polite season approaching, we must remember that it is:
Looking up your old aaaaaaaaaaddress.

And Sweet FA is Sweet Fannie Adams.

Just be careful using fanny with folks from the UK, NZ and OZZ. Female reproductive organ

Your motorcycle is not FUBAR, it failed to proceed.
That part is not NFG, it is not meeting its design specifications.

And randy is horny. Now you are all set for the holiday season. It amases me how many guys are called Randy, why do you need to advertise your state of erotic arousal?

Oh, and French Letters are prophilactics sp? / rubbers, and rubbers are erasers. In France, apparently French letters are called an English hood - Capote d'Anglaise.

Now with a full puku ( one for Steve ) we can relax. Xmas day, a puku full of kai! A stomach full of food.

Hey, Unkle Crusty. Are you a natural born Kiwi who flew the nest or have you just spent a bit of time in Godzone? I seem to remember that you're a JAFA!

#32 ·
Origin

Kiwi Steve Hey said:
From the book on estate planning under residence. " However everyone has a domicile of origin " which for me is the South of London. Born to mixed parentage. My dad was a Cockny and my mother was a Geordie.
We all arrived in NZ in 1948. I departed in 1968 moving to Hawaii, then to BC Canada in 1969.
My mixed parents split, my dad later moved to Sydney, and mother back to Northumberland.
I think my two nieces and one nephew are in OZZ.

I keep my Maori dictionary handy to check my spelling.

Unkle Crusty

#34 ·
Ah Unkle Crusty, but can you say "Taumata*whakatangihanga*koauau*o*tamatea*turi*pukakapiki*maunga*horo*nuku*pokai*whenua*kitanatahu"

I'm a southern Hawkes Bay boy who spent his first 18 years living just south of the hill where Taumata, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower, the mover of rivers, sat on a grass mat and played his nose flute to his loved one

#35 ·
Haka

That would be the haka that the All Blacks did forever. Until someone thought it was getting old. Hang on my mistake. That one is about the guy hiding in a dug out until the guy with the hairy legs lets him out.

The guy playing the nose flute is part of the longest place name in the world.
But I do have trouble remembering it correctly.

Just checked. My dictionary spells it a bit differently.

Unkle Crusty*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.