Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been to the Daytona rally, and riding from the midwest to Florida in the winter is not really feasible, so I've been thinking about a trailer. If I buy one it has to be easy for me to load the bike myself, without fear that it will fall over on top of me in the process (I really don't want 800 lbs. of bike tipping over onto me), be capable of driving long distances safely, and be easy to store in my garage when I am not using it. What kind of trailer do some of you have that would meet my needs? Hopefully it would also be one that would not cost a fortune to buy.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
If I were to get another trailer it would one that has the full width drop down tailgate they make out of expanded metal. Then just add a wheel chock up front. Of course lower would be better but they do make them like that. At one time it would be a special order but they are popular for many things now.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
If you are only planning on doing it once, rent.
http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motorcycle-Trailer-Rental/MT/

You can rent a trailer like this for less money than it will cost to plate a trailer that will sit in the back yard 350 days a year. Never have to put air in the tires or grease the bearings if you rent. My trailer is 3 years old and have used it to haul the bike one time, 80 miles round trip. Fortunately though, I have other uses for it to warrant owning it.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Jump on that bike and ride to bike week. Last year, 2014, my bike was at the dealer for service the week before bike week here in the midwest and I just rode it home with no problems. As luvs2play said, if you really want a trailer, rent one. You will be in good company with many of the Sturgis folks who trailer to a spot 50 miles from the festivities and ride those last few miles to be able to show up on a bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts