Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GREENSBORO—A fatal wreck between a tractor-trailer and a group of motorcycles is under investigation by NC Highway Patrol.

Troopers say this is one of the worst accidents they have ever seen. One person is dead and five are in critical condition. The cause of the wreck is still under investigation.

"[We need] more photographs. I've got to speak with the driver see if there was any impairment and then charges from there,” said Ethan Holt, NC Highway Patrol.

The tractor-trailer that hit the motorcyclists continued down the highway about three-quarters of a mile before coming to a stop near the Groometown Road exit.

Pieces of metal, clothing and tires were strewn about a stretch of grass along the highway .

"What we know right now from witnesses is that a tractor-trailer left the road and hit six motorcyclists sitting on the side of the road, evidently taking a break,” said Holt.
More here... group-of-motorcyclists-hit-by-tractor-trailer-in-greensboro

Several pictures at the link... torn up bikes scattered up and down the ditch. :frown:

·
Registered
68 Posts
That line of the trooper saying it was a dangerous place to stop really makes my blood boil. Cars park on the side of the road all the time, cops too. To actually try to place blame on the motorcyclists in this situation is simply wrong.

For all we know right now the accident could have been completely intentional.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is very sad. Don't know why they may have pulled to the side.

But the truck driver did not notice all the huge bumps of hitting motorcycles and running off the road?

That's some heavy duty sleeping

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Neither did the passenger, even when something tried to come through the windshield

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Witnesses said the truck moved to the right or toward the shoulder.

Since it took him so long to stop, makes ya wonder if he wasn't at first considering running.

·
14,300 Posts
Maybe he cut a brake line?

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Maybe he cut a brake line?
Those trucks all have air brakes. When a line is cut and air pressure drops below a certain point, the brakes will engage on their own. (air pressure holds the brake shoes away from the brake drums)

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
:frown: Very sad and tragic. Its an eye opener how fast your life can change while out riding. On the other hand, I don't believe anyone on this forum can say they've never taken their eyes off the road for a moment and wandered over the white line. Add an 80,000# truck traveling at highway speed into the mix.... This stuff happens all the time. When I used to do median work, some guy in a car rolled over 50 safety cones, took out an arrow board, and continued all the way across the shoulder to smash into one of my pickup trucks that was parked way off in the grass before he stopped. The pickup was lit up like a Christmas tree with emergency strobes. Target fixation? I stopped bidding on median work even though the money was flipping fantastic. It was just too dangerous for my guys.
Now I'm not laying the blame on anyone for this incident, but please, take a few moments while you're traveling along an expressway and notice all the 1000s of scrapes and tire marks along the cement barriers. And hopefully you'll think twice about ever stopping along the side of an expressway. :(

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Very sad what happened here .. More than once in heavy rain decided was better off Riding half blind to get off the Interstate after once trying to pull off to the side when almost got taken out by 2 different vehicles .. If you do have to pull over because of a breakdown get away from the Bike anyway and keep your eyes peeled for any vehicle that is even remotely close heading towards you .. Not trying to play Monday Morning Quarterback just telling my own experience traveling the Freeway ..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Very sad what happened here .. More than once in heavy rain decided was better off Riding half blind to get off the Interstate after once trying to pull off to the side when almost got taken out by 2 different vehicles .. If you do have to pull over because of a breakdown get away from the Bike anyway and keep your eyes peeled for any vehicle that is even remotely close heading towards you .. Not trying to play Monday Morning Quarterback just telling my own experience traveling the Freeway ..
These are my thoughts as well.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I hate having to pull over and avoid if at all possible. Not familiar with the area. Don't they have rest stops back there? A fast food joint or gas station would have been a much better choice I would think. But will we ever get the whole story or just this version? Would like to know why they chose that spot. I can't imagine anyone doing it to rest. That just don't seem logical.

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But will we ever get the whole story or just this version? Would like to know why they chose that spot.
That's the problem with accident reports. Usually the first report is all we get with little to no followup.

Maybe one of the riders in the group had a problem and needed to pull over and the group stayed with them? No doubt, a better place than the shoulder should be sought and used if at all possible.

This is just a really sad mess. :frown:

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In trying to find some updated info, I found this remark in the comment section.

cnote 14 hours ago
My friend was one of the injured in this HORRIBLE "accident". Bike problems were the reason they pulled over. Truck driver was not asleep. Charges MUST BE FILED.

·
14,300 Posts
Cannot get to it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Yep, same here and I tried removing the numbers at the end. Connected but not the same wreck.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Our news says he has been charged for hit & run because the only reason he stopped is a flat tire. Horrible. I'm really interested as to why they stopped on the shoulder. Did one of them have a problem? I wouldn't do that unless that were the reason. If only taking a break we have pulled over on an off ramp but only for a minute or two.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts