Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how many riders make a "plan B" when planning tours.

I'm sitting here at home only because poor weather has postponed a 3 day group motorcycling tour. We decided as a group on Wednesday to not deal with the cool temperatures and rain forecast for this weekend (and we made the right decision as is just stopped raining and temps are in the low 60s)

Since vacation time is limited and must often be planned in advance it behooves us to have alternate plans for our sport that is so dependent on mother nature.
I almost always have a Plan B for my solo tours. Whether is be a backup plan for a destination. (say, riding north instead of south)
Or a completely different plan that doesn't involve riding or other outdoor activities.

Are you someone that makes alternate plans, "just in case"?
Do you go ahead with your ride in spite of weather?
Or do you cancel your time off and reschedule the tour?

·
American Legion Rider
23,700 Posts
Before I retired, If I had scheduled a riding vacation trip, I rode. Rain or shine. I figured out neither the bike or I would melt if it rained. I've ridden in snow and ice at higher elevations...although I wouldn't recommend that. But rain, no problem. But now, I can wait until I like the conditions.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Have changed my destinations or sometimes my routes due to weather .. Headed over to the Blue Ridge a couple days early on my Ozarks trip for the simple reason was going to be nothing but steady rain and possible flooding where I was in Arkansas and was totally clear over by Cherokee, NC .. It's all good as long as have 2 wheels turning ..

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It's funny how riders become very good at knowing the forecast.

I don't have the chance to do a lot of touring, but I would plan some extra time into the trip just in case. If the destination is 2 days away, it might be best to plan on 3.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
We had a trip to the Smokies planned and went there. The next day we were told that they were predicting heavy rain and severe storms for the next 4 days. We loaded up and rode to Myrtle Beach SC, in the rain for several hours.

We also hid out under an overpass and watched a tornado go by. I know you aren't supposed to do that but the wind & lightning was horrible and it was raining so hard we couldn't see.

It was sunny and just beautiful in Myrtle Beach. You've got to be flexible. ;)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
It was sunny and just beautiful in Myrtle Beach. You've got to be flexible. ;)
That says it all right there .. While I realize some will think nice to have the technology now to check the weather with a push of a button .. More than once way back when would follow the sky .. If the Sky was Black dead ahead didn't think twice of changing directions and heading where the Blue Bright Sky called me ..

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Funny you say that. We had been checking the weather right up until we left. They said the rain and storms were going to be further south and east. We checked several different weather forcasts. :D :D

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
We typically go ahead, regardless of weather. We have rain gear, and we've used it often enough. Unless the weather is dangerous, we ride. We have changed directions due to poor weather, opting to ride a different direction to avoid rain, but this only works on shorter trips, like long weekends. We were planning on riding next week, but the bike has developed some intermittent electrical issues, which will prevent us from riding, until they are fixed. In this case, we have cancelled our vacation time from work, so we can use it later, when the bike is in top condition. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I hear a good plan for really long trips is to build loops in your route that you can cut off if you have to make a detour or fall behind schedule. I haven't taken a trip long enough to need to do that yet, but it seems like sound advice to me.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For my solo tours, I usually have an alternate destination pre-planned dependent on weather. If the weather system is one that I can punch through in a day, I will stick with Plan A. If not, I go with Plan B. Rarely do I totally scrap a solo tour.
It isn't the riding in the rain that is the biggest problem, it is the fact that most of my tours also include quite a bit of outdoor sightseeing, hiking, parks, and other outdoor activities. I'm not afraid of a little bit of rain, but sometimes I don't see a point the travelling to a new place just to be stuck indoors by poor weather.

However, many of my riding companions have little or no tolerance to rain. (some don't even own raingear.) Which makes things more difficult, but that's just the way it goes.

Both my planned trips so far this year have been cancelled for one reason or another...hope my luck changes for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
1 Posts
weather planning

Instead of a plan b, do any of you know of a good tool to search historical weather for a given tour route? For example I'd like to input my route on google maps or something and then get weather predictions for my date range when planning trips months ahead

·
10,756 Posts
My plan A is always flexible. We will go out on 10-12 day tours with a goal. Last year it was to see the ocean and ride back through Canada. There were lots of fires in Canada, and we were ready to come back through the USA. We never make reservations so we are free to go where and how far we want each day. So far. It has worked for us.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's important to be flexible, but the thing I hate most is having to leave home on Day One in the rain. I don't mind so much if I get hit later on, but it's demoralizing to ride out of a dry garage into rain.
Once I'm gone I can take pretty much what comes...tornadoes and zombie attacks suck, though.
I travel alone which is a different experience from most of the previous posts. For me, it's the only way to go.

·
American Legion Rider
23,700 Posts
Actually riding far enough to ride out of it has it's own reward too. I wouldn't ride to work if it was raining but a planned trip is no big deal for me to start out in it and look forward to riding out of it then.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually riding far enough to ride out of it has it's own reward too. I wouldn't ride to work if it was raining but a planned trip is no big deal for me to start out in it and look forward to riding out of it then.
Right, I get that. But to start out wet and getting dry later is not nearly as fun as starting out dry and encountering whatever down the road.

·
American Legion Rider
23,700 Posts
Right, I get that. But to start out wet and getting dry later is not nearly as fun as starting out dry and encountering whatever down the road.
On the other hand, it's much better to arrive dry than wet. I'm usually dry within 50 miles of riding after I ride out of a rain storm and usually much less than that. Pluses to everything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
never had a plan B, this is why I ride secondary roads, for you what if's, its hard to slow down on the highway, and the people that have never been on a bike, will not care, about a rider. ( short story) I was going over a bridge in Baltimore, pouring rain, winds, pulling my large trailer. guy in land rover, could not wait to plow into me, to move faster up the bridge., he laid on his horn, all the way up to the top, and most of the way down, until we got to the toll booth. ( the toll booth operator ) call the police, and this dumb arse, was pulled over about 3 miles up the road. ( I stopped, and filed a complaint with the officer ) I wish I had a Go pro camera. I do now. But plan B, I would have shot that ******* if I was carrying.

·
American Legion Rider
23,700 Posts
never had a plan B, this is why I ride secondary roads, for you what if's, its hard to slow down on the highway, and the people that have never been on a bike, will not care, about a rider. ( short story) I was going over a bridge in Baltimore, pouring rain, winds, pulling my large trailer. guy in land rover, could not wait to plow into me, to move faster up the bridge., he laid on his horn, all the way up to the top, and most of the way down, until we got to the toll booth. ( the toll booth operator ) call the police, and this dumb arse, was pulled over about 3 miles up the road. ( I stopped, and filed a complaint with the officer ) I wish I had a Go pro camera. I do now. But plan B, I would have shot that ******* if I was carrying.

And that's why you have to have your emotions under control at all times. Some day someone will be going to jail because they couldn't. Although I honestly think self-defense should be allowed when someone aims 2 tons at your back.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts