Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When one see the word "Touring" with regards to motorcycles anyways, cross country junkets or major mile north/south multi day runs comes to mind. Out of necessity I have become a disciple of the 250-300 mile day ride(which I still think constitutes touring). I personally prefer the multi day touring as thats an adventure but due to such necessities if liefe like work and minimum vacation time limits the amount of multi day touring opportunities.

Curious what other riders consider "Touring"

·
10,757 Posts
Personally I would say that you are not touring if you sleep at home each night. That being said a touring bike sure makes a a 200 - 300 mile day trip a lot more comfortable.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I would say that you are not touring if you sleep at home each night. That being said a touring bike sure makes a a 200 - 300 mile day trip a lot more comfortable.

You ain't lying about touring rigs making a difference. I never had music on my motorcycles until I bought a touring rig and I really like that. Fatter seat, more stoargae and just more over all creature comforts.

·
The Cool Joker
1,451 Posts
eh, for those of us tied down to a job, a 200+ mile day is touring enough, though i'd certainly rather carry a tent and camp out on a multi day trip.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eh, for those of us tied down to a job, a 200+ mile day is touring enough, though i'd certainly rather carry a tent and camp out on a multi day trip.
If you've never been able to take off and go from Friday after work until late Sunday, taking said camping gear, you ought to treat yourself to the opportunity. Especially while you're young and before life starts getting complicated and eating you alive,lol. Buy a copy of the Woodall Camping directory, its both a book and a DVD and bring it with you. Or GPS that spouts off local information to help you locate camping areas and other need to know information for what ever area you're in. You can get pretty far in a day, then have the next day to take in the sights/locals and the next day to get home? I always found it easy to make new friends while on the rode with my motorcycles, exercising a degree of caution too(we've all seen the horror movies,lol).

·
The Cool Joker
1,451 Posts
yeah i talked to my boss tonight about doing a little weekend camping in a 9x8 dome, he's probably spent 1/4 of his life camping in some way shape or form (from boy scouts to military to rv'ing/5th wheeling, he's 64 btw) and he basically told me the same thing.

my only problem is whenever i actually do get more than one day off in a row, i spend it catching up on things locally. maybe i've already hit that point in life where things are complicated and eating me alive :p

·
Registered
491 Posts
Here is a question.

I am a perpetual couch surfer due to my parents being divorced. I was always jumping form home to home, really living out of my bag blue duffel bag for years as a child. I took that thing to my dads, friends, moms, grandparents. And learned to pack all the comforts I needed in to it.

This pattern has carried on in to my young adult life. I now go from home to home and spends nights with friends and family as often as I can, I probably see my bed in the room I rent, as much as the couch at my dads house, my girlfriends bedroom, and my moms futon. Sense I am always out on the bike going form place to place to stay am I touring?

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a question.

I am a perpetual couch surfer due to my parents being divorced. I was always jumping form home to home, really living out of my bag blue duffel bag for years as a child. I took that thing to my dads, friends, moms, grandparents. And learned to pack all the comforts I needed in to it.

This pattern has carried on in to my young adult life. I now go from home to home and spends nights with friends and family as often as I can, I probably see my bed in the room I rent, as much as the couch at my dads house, my girlfriends bedroom, and my moms futon. Sense I am always out on the bike going form place to place to stay am I touring?
Thats funny.

No your just flop hopping.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i talked to my boss tonight about doing a little weekend camping in a 9x8 dome, he's probably spent 1/4 of his life camping in some way shape or form (from boy scouts to military to rv'ing/5th wheeling, he's 64 btw) and he basically told me the same thing.

my only problem is whenever i actually do get more than one day off in a row, i spend it catching up on things locally. maybe i've already hit that point in life where things are complicated and eating me alive :p
Reflecting back on my life, there were two junctures where free time was abundant..in my early 20's before I got married/kids and in my fifty's now that my kids are gone. There was a long dry spell in the middle. My motto in that dry spell was "Ride to work and work to ride".

Sounds llike you are in that wonderful period prior to marriage and children. Run with it forrest run with it!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here is a question.

Well, if you hadn't included "the room I rent" I would've said you're a vagrant:D JK.

Day touring (long rides in a single day) is great preparation for the overnight experience. When you load up all that camping gear along with clothes, tools, oil, chain lube, chain cleaner, spare plugs, rain gear, bike cover, etc that is needed for several days on the road it's a different kind of experience than the long one day ride. Not to take anything away from the long one day rides. They are their own type of touring.

·
The Cool Joker
1,451 Posts
haha bad, that really did make me smile, believe you me i'm doing my best to be a work/sleep/ride kinda guy right now. not exactly looking to start another relationship any time soon, i like to ride something that's not out of control :D

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ha sorry meant Finnish with two n's
Thanks for the clarification...I thought you meant get a girl who could finish? Most girls today give up to easy. When they going gets tough they bale. They don't make them like they use to. You know the thru thick and thru thin kind.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day touring (long rides in a single day) is great preparation for the overnight experience. When you load up all that camping gear along with clothes, tools, oil, chain lube, chain cleaner, spare plugs, rain gear, bike cover, etc that is needed for several days on the road it's a different kind of experience than the long one day ride. Not to take anything away from the long one day rides. They are their own type of touring.
From April 2008 to April 2009 I took 4 major multi day rides. 3 with a chase/support vehicle and one with no support. And guess what...on the trip with no support I blew a stator 5-600 miles from home in the middle of NFW. The nearest any kind of mechanical support was 100 miles away. The other 3 were seemless trips.

I prefer to have a chase vehicle for so many reasons. It just makes sense. While braking down can be a memory unto itself I feel better having everything as much in my contro, as possible. I don't have fond memories of depending on anyone for anything.

·
Registered
320 Posts
to me touring means you do a tour and to me a tour must mean alot of tourism meaning looking at alot of amazine crap your probobly not gonna see ever again.

i still have my big tour planned though it might change a bit though. it might become a bus ride to cali where me and a freind and a few others makeing idiots of ourselves in a hotel room and go to clubs and wake up in a weird way only to copy the entire hangover movie

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
to me touring means you do a tour and to me a tour must mean alot of tourism meaning looking at alot of amazine crap your probobly not gonna see ever again.

i still have my big tour planned though it might change a bit though. it might become a bus ride to cali where me and a freind and a few others makeing idiots of ourselves in a hotel room and go to clubs and wake up in a weird way only to copy the entire hangover movie
Don't video tape anything they will use it against you in a court of law.....:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts