Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I got started by buying a mini bike on Craigslist, fixed it up and listed it for sale. But riding the mini bike while testing it out had me wanting more. So after missing out on a few deals, I finally found one I liked.

This past Friday I picked up a 1972 Kawasaki G4TRB (Trail Boss). The seller had it listed as a 1971, but the fork serial, and engine serial confirm it as being a 1972. I bought the bike with the engine partially dismantled, and the bike is in need of some TLC, but it's mostly complete, with a few odds and ends missing.

I'll need to get an oil tank cap, tail light lens, turn signals if I put it on the road, new battery, 1 retaining clip in the new piston, it'll need new seat foam and a seat cover, cables could stand to be replaced, and the wiring will be replaced as well. As old as the bike is, I figure new wiring would do a lot of good.

The PO was going to replace the piston, and never finished it. So the fun job is all mine now. I have all NOS parts for the piston, rings, and head gasket.

I've always been pretty mechanically inclined, so for $70, I figured it's worth a shot. And if all else fails, I can part it out and still come out ahead. But so far it's been a lot of fun, I have most of the engine 'assembled' in a mockup just so I know where everything goes, and I've got the frame completely torn down and degreased, waiting to have the old paint stripped, and a new finish applied.

And there's going to be a handful of hardware that I'll need to replace as well, due to some parts just missing, and others breaking while being taken apart.

The bike was last registered April 1978, and last inspected March 1979, never re-registered in 1979, so it's been off the road, and possibly sitting since then. And it has 2207 original miles on it, which is killer.

When I hit 15 posts I'll get some pictures up to share with everyone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has been so far, and for $70 it was worth the gamble, since I could always part it out if I ran into some kind of serious problem.

But so far it's been pretty smooth sailing, and aside from breaking a bunch of screws and bolts, it's been easy as well.

The most difficult parts for me, will be the engine and trans rebuild, specifically the trans- since I'm going to have to learn it all as I go, and work on the wheels, and lacing/truing them since I've never trued a wheel before, and it looks like a pretty slow and involved process.

But no regrets so far.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
What a great start into the hobby and passion of bikes. Restoring your own is a great way to learn right from the nuts and bolts up. Keep us posted, hope to see a pic with the bike on the road one day...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts