Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need some help here I have a 83 honda vt500 and at the end of summer last SEASON I lost all electrical power I found the junction box connections were bad and had been arching quite badly so I removed the 12 volt connectors from the block they connected to each other on the block so I connected them with bullet connections and the bike fired up and ran great then it died and I have no power any help would
be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I had a switch for a 1983 Magna go out as confirmed by testing. If I determine that yours is the same part number I will share the info on where I bought mine. The switch comes in two pieces but I doubt that the part the key goes in is bad. The switch is a pretty crappy unit in OEM and very expensive. The contact points of the switch just wear right off in 25000 miles whereas the old 70's switches are bullet proof

I found an aftermarket but it is in the memory of my computer at home. More info later...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
found aftermarket

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/Honda-113

This should take you to the switch page. Looks like yours is there for 56.00

I cannot attest to the switch quality because I have never done business with them. I think I am gonna order for the 1983 Magna. Plug and play is worth something.

When you test the switch, unplug the switch connector and you should find a hot red wire Place a jumper wire from the red to a black wire and your lights should come on. I ALWAYS place a 5 or ten amp fuse in that test lead wire. You can also separate the plastic contact base from the keyed portion of the switch. On my switch, the contacts were worn away and parts fell out, so it was easy to tell that I needed a new one.

http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/HondaWireColors.htm. I have found the color codes to help in understanding how Honda wires their bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts