Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, everyone, you may have seen a previous post of mine titled "Finding TDC on SOHC". Either way I am back once more with the same bike, new problem. The only thing left to do is torque down the cylinder fasteners to spec. However I feel as if the toque specs in my Haynes manual aren't quite right? The size of the fasteners listed don't correspond to the size of the fasteners on the motor itself. The specs also seem very low for a cylinder head. I feel as if I am missing something or I simply don't understand. If anybody can help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures to follow

Attachments

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Nuts and bolts are listed by the diameter of the threaded portion, roughly, and not the size of the wrench you'd use to turn it. So if what you have marked as a 17mm in the picture means you're using a 17mm wrench on it, then it could be a 10mm nut, and so on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Eye, thanks for the quick reply! I had gotten the same response from a few other sources, but I have a problem with that too. The cylinder nut and flange nuts (The 17mm and 14mm nuts in the picture) thread onto the same stud, so how could the thread size vary? is there something I am not getting?

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
There are times when a bigger nut (outside dimension) which fits the same thread are used, sometimes just so two wrenches of the same size aren't required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts