Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have looked through my owner's manual to try and find torque settings for the two bolts on the brake caliper, but couldn't find it.

If anyone has got a larger manual or knows the common torque settings for the CB series, then it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Being a Honda rider, checking brakes is operator maintenance, changing brakes is not

My Suzuki owners manual says 28ft-lb or 39 N-m

Us Suzuki riders are more mechanically inclined

·
Mod/Motorcyclist/ Trucker/ Deplorable
1,240 Posts
The chart indicates thread locking compound also. What kind of book do you have? Usually all he torque specs are in the first or second chapters.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm talking about these two bolts that hold the caliper in place:
View attachment 64410
Would it be dangerous to tighten these bolts without giving them a specific amount of torque?
It would be dangerous not having them tight enough, and too tight would twist the head off

As mentioned use some blue loctite, other brands thread locker might be a different color

The bolt will twist down to where it is hitting solid metal

Use your ratchet holding it up next to the socket and turn until it hits solid, slide hand out to end and give it a bit of a twist........nothing shakes rattles or rolls the loctite will hold it good

If you need a number use the 28ft-lb, that's certainly NOT enough to twist the head off, but enough to have the head snug

·
Ace Tuner
2,625 Posts
torque settings for the two bolts on the brake caliper
There are standard universal torque specs for every bolt depending on size and thread pitch.
Google can probably help with that.

Other that that... Tight enough so that it does not come lose but not so tight that it strips anything.
(FYI) Most calipers use strong, high grade mounting bolts.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
22,450 Posts
Tight enough so that it does not come lose but not so tight that it strips anything.
I used to do things right or left handed or thumb and pinky finger or as tight as three fingers would allow. That was before I got a good inch pound and a good foot pound torque wrenches. I was amazed at how close I was getting. But then after stripping so many threads I was getting tried of that. But red(271), blue(242) and yellow(577) Loctite can go a long way in keeping things together.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
26 Posts
red(271), blue(242) and yellow(577) Loctite can go a long way in keeping things together.
Beware! and be aware that Loctite Red is intended to be permanent and requires 550 degrees F to remove:
Loctite Blue removes without heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts