Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit intrigued by the new Honda Super Cub which is coming to the U.S. shortly. Certainly not as a primary motorcycle but as a "around town" bike for errands and fun. With the 125cc engine it should be a bit more spirited than the old original Cub but I am wondering about what is likely the top speed of this little bike. Not that I would want to take it on the Interstate, but if I buy one I would have to find a way to get it home from the dealer 75 miles away. If it can ride at 50-55 then I could probably ride it home using the back roads. If top speed is only 40-45, then I would have to have it trailered to my home, assuming I would still be interested. Any thoughts or knowledge on this out there?

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I clicked on the link but didn't see anything about the Super Cub.

·
On The Road Again!
4,647 Posts
Vito, my '77 Honda Trail 90 will do 53mph...just barely.
With a modern 125 engine, the Cub should be able to hit 70. If it doesn't, I'd be very surprised.
You should be able ride that bike just about anywhere, maybe even brief hops on the interstate. (in the right lane of course)
I would LOVE to have one of those. But $3600 is out of my price range.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've watched videos of the Honda Grom that uses the same engine & it seems to average about 60 mph indicated. Actual GPS verified speed is sometimes a little less with some bikes, not sure about the Grom or Super Cub.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Yes, the Grom does 55-60. The Cub uses the same engine. There's likely to be some gearing differences between the two, but I'd expect similar performance. I don't know how your traffic is, hut around here even 45mph would be enough to do some back road riding. I'd have no issues with it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,831 Posts
Vito, you should be able to comfortably cruise at 50 mph and maybe hit 60 as a top speed, on flat-level ground but riding the bike that way means not following the break-in schedule, which I humbly think is important:smile_big:

I would chart a nice leisurely ride through the country, stopping once in a while to smell the roses, take some pictures, re-hydrate and just enjoy the ride:wink2:

The CUB is not Freeway or Interstate legal at 125cc's.:plain:

Pictures taken right next to your Goldwing would be Soooo cool:smile_big:

You will probably get more interest and questions about the CUB than your Wing:smile:

Sam:nerd:

Below is what started it all and got me hooked and strung out on riding:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,831 Posts
I bought the CT 125 .. the reviews say she'll do fifty-five..
And it will be my only motorcycle..
(But I'm on the hunt for a older super cub c90)
Sold my Harley ultra and the gl1800...
Welcome Hud!

I like the CT125 a lot and may just buy one myself.

The riding where you live is ideal for a smaller bike! I have ridden virtually all of those roads on all kinds of bikes for the last 21 years or so, working my way from Carthage, through LaRussel and along those small Farm roads into Mount Vernon for Breakfast. Lori that lives in Marionville meets me there fairly often.

Sam:)
Crest Circle Emblem Symbol Logo

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Old thread brought back to life. Rather than wait for the Super Cub to show up in dealerships, I ended up buying a PCX150 scooter as a second bike. Incredibly fun to ride, and it will do 65 on level ground (I weigh about 195). It was the perfect companion to my Wing. But this past summer, after two tipovers and needing help to get the bike up, I traded in the GW for a new CanAm Spyder. Since getting that Spyder I’ve hardly touched the scooter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts