Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some debris in my gas tank that I was afraid made it's way into my carbs so I took my carbs off of my VT500FT Ascot and cleaned them. I expected this to make the bike run better. The bike runs fine at idle but when I accelerate it seems like all the power slowly goes away the higher the RPM. Any ideas what could be causing this? I will try and get a video of what it sounds like under acceleration. I really don't want to bring it into a shop because I can't afford that.

·
Premium Member
5,517 Posts
Is the bike stock, or have there been changes to the air filters and/or exhaust?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
This may be a silly question, but did you change the fuel filter and/or clean any screens in the fuel system? (Sometimes they hide screens under the float needle seat.)

And maybe more importantly, is this a new problem which developed after your carb cleaning and fuel tank issues from the other thread?

+1 for WinterSol's question - that's important!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike is stock.

Not a silly question at all. I did not replace the fuel filter. It looked clean so I didn't mess with it.

Yes this is a new problem since the carb clean. I took it out for a test run today to see if I could figure it out and I noticed when I pull the clutch in the engine doesn't slow to idle it slows with the bike. So as my speed goes down the engine speed goes with it almost like I didn't pull the clutch in. I can change gears just fine and all. So maybe I messed something up and the air fuel mixture is thrown off?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took my carbs off again. Found that my air filter had a bad seal and one of my diaphragm had a small tear. So looks like that's my problem. I'm still going to give the carbs a good cleaning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts