Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Roamer
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per a May 2015 survey of subscribers to Women Riders Now newsletter:

Top 10 Motorcycles Women Ride

This list may as well be called "Top 10 Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Women Ride." lol It seems H-D's marketing efforts toward women has been pretty effective, taking 8 of the top 10 slots in this list. I really expected some BMW GS's to make the list.

If there's any interest, we could do our own completely unscientific poll... I made a really simple Google Docs form:

Take the Survey: Motorcycles Women on this Forum Ride

You can view responses here. -- Currently, just me! :biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
NoCapes said:
This list may as well be called "Top 10 Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Women Ride."
Boy you got that right. 2 Honda's and a Yamaha. The rest Harley. But I disagree with the Sportsers as good for women. Top heavy suckers. JMO

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Ducati

I just entered for Sadie the cleaning lady at Shirley's place. Not her real name, and I am not completely sure of the model.
Sadie is stunning to look at, so much so it is impossible not to mention it.
She used to have a DL1000 Suzuki, the model before mine that did not handle well.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Well I went ahead a put my wife's in. That ought to throw a wrench in the works.:D

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
The fatboy is listed under the woman's bike section. Does that make it a girl's bike?

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
The fatboy is listed under the woman's bike section. Does that make it a girl's bike?
Of course it does, but wait; we have guys disagreeing with what women actually said about riding a Sportster, they obviously love it. And we have guy's speaking for their wives and girlfriends as to what women ride. Odd, why don't we have women actually voting on this? I thought this was for the women to express their opinion about what they liked and the bike they preferred to ride, not what some guy says they ride or should ride. Let's hear from some of the lady riders.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I entered my old girl.

It looks like next year I will also be riding a Goldwing Trike...if everything goes right. Randy now has his stitches out and will be wearing a cast until at least December 8th. We hope after that he'll be able to twist the throttle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Of course it does, but wait; we have guys disagreeing with what women actually said about riding a Sportster, they obviously love it. And we have guy's speaking for their wives and girlfriends as to what women ride. Odd, why don't we have women actually voting on this? I thought this was for the women to express their opinion about what they liked and the bike they preferred to ride, not what some guy says they ride or should ride. Let's hear from some of the lady riders.
I'm a lady rider and I just voted. :)

I think many women start riding on a Sportster, because they are told it's a good bike for women. I followed that advice and started on a 1200 Sportster. I found it hard to handle as a beginner bike, but once I got used to it I put a lot of miles on it. I switched to a Heritage Softail Classic and just love it. Much easier to handle and maneuver for me. The Sportster is a great bike, but the Softail is more "me."

·
Registered
943 Posts
...Odd, why don't we have women actually voting on this? I thought this was for the women to express their opinion about what they liked and the bike they preferred to ride..... Let's hear from some of the lady riders.
I voted!

1963 Honda 50 Cub - liked it but went bigger after a year.
1966 Honda 305 Superhawk - great bike! Rode it until I went off to college and had no money.
1982 Harley FLH - great bike! Kept it as long as I could afford.
1983 Honda 750 Shadow (last year) - was too top heavy, didn't like it but the performance was incredible
2002 Harley Dyna FXD - bought last year - my regular ride - LOVE IT!
1967 Honda Dream (last spring) - under restoration - it is a fun ride and a nice contrast to the Harley.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I wonder how different the list would look if they eliminated the women who started riding after marrying a man who rides.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I rode before I met my husband. We both quit shortly before we got married. In 2005 we decided to get back into riding. We bought his 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad in March and my 1985 Yamaha Maxim in September. For local riding my Maxim is great and she was a great buy.

I wanted to buy a 2007 Victory Kingpin but I hurt my back and wasn't sure if I would be able to ride again. After about 5 years I started riding again in 2012. I decided to just keep the old girl because I wouldn't have been able to ride my own bike when we went on our trips. I just couldn't develop the stamina and the issues with my back are still there.

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
I wonder how different the list would look if they eliminated the women who started riding after marrying a man who rides.
Just how is that relevant? You make it sound as if a woman can't make a decision on her own, she needs a man to give her validation.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
AM.

After marriage. Probably a lot of things ladies do after they get married to some guy. I can think of quite a few.
Right now Shirley is practicing tolerance, because I put my ID in her wallet, and hers in mine. She found out at the airport where she needed it.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Just how is that relevant? You make it sound as if a woman can't make a decision on her own, she needs a man to give her validation.
Did you forget your logic at the door? We're talking about the best bikes for women, and I want to remove male influence, so obviously I want to see what bikes they pick when they do make their own decision.

You don't think a decent portion of the women who ride Harley's picked that brand because their husband's ride Harley?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts