Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am flying to Oregon to pick up a 28 year old bike and ride it 600 miles, sl l thought it would be wise to put together a tool kit. Then as l was getting my stuff together, it dawned on me that some of the stuff in my kit might also be considered weapons...you know how security is these days. Clearly l cannot take a razor knife, but what about things like needlenose pliers, screwdrivers, etc? Should l play it safe and just take my wrenches and socket set and then buy some cheap stuff on the other side?

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Ditto that. It's really isn't worth saving yourself 10-15 minutes on the end of the flight by picking and choosing which tools you can carry on. Check a bag with everything you think you'll need. Check the backpack you're going to wear on the ride home. Use a smaller carryon that you can stuff into the backpack on the return trip...or just bring a book and go without a carry on.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, check baggage.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Yeah, I hate baggage claim too but that's the best choice. Buying cheap stuff never works out well anyway. Either breaks or won't work right and you end up more frustrated than ever. 20 minutes is nothing to that kind of frustration.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I don't see why not - people regularly fly with firearms in check baggage.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well l am glad l thought about it. A friend got popped a while back with a utility pocket knife in his backpack that was still in there from a camping trip...minor charge, but still...no thanks

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I'm so glad I don't have to mess with airport security. I wish it were easy for the rest of you. I miss pre 9/11 mentality.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check the TSA regs, you can still carry-on screwdrivers if under 7" total length, and pliers are no problem.

No knives or guns in carry-on, of course!

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Check the TSA regs, you can still carry-on screwdrivers if under 7" total length, and pliers are no problem.

No knives or guns in carry-on, of course!
Yeah, let's make sure the good people can't defend themselves and others if needed.:thumbsdown:

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Yeah, let's make sure the good people can't defend themselves and others if needed.:thumbsdown:
I'm as pro gun as it gets for the North East but planes ain't the place to have a all out gun fight barrage... One armed marshal is enough... As for the rest of the folks pass out some batons and they'll take care of any funny business en mass... :D

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think l'm good. I am checking my saddle bags and they just have my tool kit, some clothing and my CPAP machine. All my good gear is in my carry on. No way am l letting them throw my helmet around

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
I'm as pro gun as it gets for the North East but planes ain't the place to have a all out gun fight barrage... One armed marshal is enough... As for the rest of the folks pass out some batons and they'll take care of any funny business en mass... :D
Think about this though. If they offered at checking for ever person to pick up a gun that they provided, would we have a problem with potential terrorism?

However, to your statement, I just don't believe one marshal is enough. I agree with you that not just everyone should be carrying on a plane.

But that goes for on the ground too. I've never felt just anyone should be able to. There is already far too many carrying that are dangerous but that's a whole other issue.

To truly carry and carry everywhere should require some darn good training and requirement to maintain training. Not what we have today. It's a joke as far as safety goes. JMO.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts