Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am 53 never riden,always wanted to, but either wasnt feasible or for what ever reason didnt. now however i live where it is sunny and warm at least 300 days a year ,am i too old to try to learn, am i at a point where my reflexes would be to slow?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Too old? No. Reflexes? That's your call, or, if you don't trust your own judgement on that issue, someone else who knows you well.

IMO reflex speed requirements for a bike aren't much different than a car, but you do need to be more observant and proactive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nope. My father is 69, started riding a couple years ago after not riding for 40 years. I did insist if he was to ride with me to take a MSF riding course. He learned a lot and told me of all the ways they used to ride compared to what he learned. As far as reflexes, I'd think it'd be better to think ahead and plan your actions instead of reacting.

Don't worry about age, if you've never ridden before or it's been a long time, take a MSF course and get in the wind. Just take it slow till you learn the skills needed.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Jeez, I hope not, if so I'll be selling mine in a couple of years.
Take the MSF first and if you have a means, do some trail riding, it helps you get used to the mechanics.
And it doesn't hurt so much when you fall on the dirt, "Most" of the time.;)

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Ancient

Friend Roy started when he was about 60. He is now around 72. Other friend Dave, similar story. I was first licensed in 61 at 15 and still riding. Main squeeze is 6 months younger, and she is happy on the back.

I always suggest riding in the dirt on a 250 to get the feel of a bike.
You will fall off in the dirt, that is one of the reasons to do it.
It is a lot softer than pavement.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
You're only as old as you feel. Riding may help keep you much younger than your birth certificate says. Where are you from? If in the USA, like the others said the BRC is your best place to start. I took the course at 54. ;)

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Will you be younger next year? Go for it. I think your biggest concern would can your ego take failure. Not everyone is really a good candidate to ride. As suggested, take a course. You'll at least get good solid instructions on what to do. The rest is up to you.:thumbsup:

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I hadn't ridden in 43 years, but at 67 I took it up again. In the last 7 years, I've ridden well over 100,000 miles. It's sure a lot easier than playing football or snow skiing!

I don't ride a crotch rocket, just a cruiser which matches my style. :71baldboy:

--

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum zukbuzzer. You are still a young kid to me. Your reflexes are a personal thing to you. I still ride about 13000 miles each year in a less hospitable location and am 67 years old. Age is not a factor but physical condition can be. If you are "old and frail" then maybe it is too late for you but I just can't imagine that condition at a mere 53 years.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We all have a bucket list of things we want to do before we die. Don't let it turn into a ****et list. Life goes by too quick, so get that bucket list done. Hogwash, never too old......

I just started to ride last year at the ripe old age of 43 (ya I know, I'm still a baby). I let 25 years pass by wanting to ride, and always being told no, it's too dangerous. Till one day I came home with the bike. I figured, if he flipped out, atleast I could catch some zzzs on the bike.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just started riding after 40 years since last having a bike. I'm 63 and am not having any problems with riding again. However, I am more safety minded now than when I was younger. You'll be fine as long as you're careful. Take a BRC class and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guys thanks for all the encouragement i live in western AZ where it is sunny and warm. my kids are all out of the house now, and i am looking for something fun to fill up some of the time i spent with them. i am gonna sign up for the next BRC class and go for it! Again thanks guys, i think i just needed some one else to tell me that i am not just going through a second childhood and being crazy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts