Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. ******* here. I just recently replaced the carb on my 78 twinstar CM185 with an ever so slightly different one. Since then, the throttle has had so much slack in the cable that if I were to twist it all the way out, I can twist it back about a quarter turn before theres even any tension.

Also, when the throttle is all the way open it doesn't spring back quite the way I think it should. I've already moved the adjustment nut/screw thing as far down as it can go and theres still so much slack. Is there some other adjustment I missed or did I do something wrong with the carb? Please tell me how to fix this cause I can hardly get any acceleration with so little throttle to work with!

·
Registered
145 Posts
does your throttle tube have more than one hole/channel for you to put in the throttle cable?

Not sure if I am clear enough but on my bike, the throttle tube (handle) has two settings.By mistake, I once put it in the wrong one and I has basically very little throttle to twist on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're referring to the part that slid into the top of the carb then i believe there was only one channel for the cable. Two channels total but I think the other was mainly for alignment purposes. Is there a particular way I should feed it through the spring?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was actually talking about the throttle tube on your handlebar. The actual grip, some of them have multiple setting at which you can hook up the throttle cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I guess I never thought about where it actually goes in the grip...:eek:doi lol. Guess my next step is to do just that and take off the grip to find out. Ill post again what I find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so I managed to get the grip off and look underneath and unfortunately I found only one channel on it so that rules out that option..what should I check next?

·
Registered
145 Posts
uhm....since you swapped carbs, could it be that now the throttle cable is too long?
Can you tell if the spot where you connect the cable on the carbs is at the same exact location from one carb to the other?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the carb that replaced the old one isn't aftermarket but it differs by having a slightly larger "throttle cap"? Also the rubber grommet that the cable feeds into is short and straight where as the old one was longer and L shaped. I think it's pretty close to the exact spot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
anyway you can install the L shaped grommet on the new carb? I think that even 1 cm (1/2 inch) difference will make your cable too long.

You might have to get a little bit McGiver on this one. Can you post pictures by any chance?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just might have to..the thing is about the grommet is that i think it's pretty much attached to the cap. I tried to use the same one with the L shape on the new carb but the cap was too small. There may be a way to Jerry rig this thing but I won't know til I get back to my bike. I'll try and post pics when I can also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well ah..it seems I had a bit of a blunder here. For one I seem to have forgotten that I had already put the L shaped one on there only to have it fit but not snugly.

Also while fidgeting with the cable trying to fix it, I went and took it for a test run and came around a corner to have the throttle conveniently jam that instant and turn my downshift into a lurching disaster. Needless to say it threw me off. I'm okay and so is the bike except for one part that seems like it'll be a pain finding. Would anyone know where I could find #1 in the diagram?images.cmsn .com/img /partslists/handle-leverswitchcable-cm185t-twinstar-1978-usa_bighu0114f9003_ 2ffe. gif (I took off the http part and added some spaces to bypass the minimum post thing...I'll reach that point eventually but I have a problem now)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I accidentally deleted an L off the end of cmsn. that should make it work minus the spaces after cmsn"L", /img, before and after 2ffe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
man, sorry to hear that.

even with the "L" added, the link still doesn't work.

I checked around but that part looks discontinued. I can find most of the parts around your handlebars but that one in particular is not listed...no part number makes it hard to find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I guess I'll just have to wait for that feature..;) In the meantime you found it anyways. The diagram and the part no less! A 79 part should fit a 78 right? I hope they ship :D

Hopefully I can fix the slack issue in the midst of all that cause I actually read somewhere that that grommet part, if not fitted correctly, can mess with the air/gas mixture. That would coincide with the hollow dying sound I've been getting when i rev it hard.

Also, thank you so much for your help thus far!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey man, no problem!

Yes the part will fit since I found the part number for the 78, but could not locate it unless I searched for 79. Same part numbers, so you are good on that.

For the grommet, sorry I have no advise on that.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts